PDA

View Full Version : What are kuji hand positions really for?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

FormLess
4/22/2004 3:15pm,
What is the history behind them? Does anyone know or even care? I've asked this before many times but have never gotten a direct answer.

SlimJim
4/22/2004 3:24pm,
Depends on who you ask.

The Ashida Kim people would try to tell you that you are channeling energy, whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.

If they have any basis in reality, they are hand-moves that are most likely used to illicit a meditative state and a specific mind-set. As simple and as idiotic as it sounds, our movements and breathing patterns can impact how we physically feel.

my 2 cents.

Jolly_Roger
4/22/2004 3:29pm,
They are a kata for pleasuring anally yourself. Once you achive certain penetration depth, you go through all of them, and you'll achive the nirvana of Ashida Kim, or at least come, if you're teh gheyest and masturbate to a picture of Ernst Borghnine in "Airwolf".

J.R.

PD: muttering the Dragon Ball Z song (you know, "Chala, head chala!" helps)

FormLess
4/22/2004 3:42pm,
"Channeling your energy" Is that really that hard to do? Do you really have to set in a meditative state to do that. If I go to pick something up, I channel energy through my arm and grab hold of it and lift it. If I had no energy to channel, I would be dead. Plus, I don't even have to think about channeling that energy, my brain does it by itself.

Jolly_Roger
4/22/2004 3:54pm,
It's just that they have this DBZ mentality.
To them, energy is not kinetic energy, but great, Kamehameha-Ki blasts...
I mean...they're ninjas...

Spunky
4/22/2004 3:56pm,
I seem to recall that kuji was originally some ritual magic of sorts in old eastern shamanistic religions, and was assimilated into some esoteric sects of Buddhism. There is the kuji-kiri (a written form) and the kuji-in hand positions. They are used for meditative purposes like SlimJim mentioned, and were also used for blessings, warding off evil, healing, seeking insight, stuff like that. Sort of like runes and other tribal "magic" practices.

Thanks to some authors in the 80's, the practice has been seemingly inherently linked to "ninjutsu," which is not the case. It was part of culture shared by many people.

This includes a number of bujutsu traditions. I read that a kata in Katori Shinto ryu calls for the practitioneer to flash his palm at an adversary, where he would have inscribed a written kuji. There are instances of Hatsumi soke of the Bujinkan flashing a kuji-in before capturing a swordsman. It would be like a Catholic gesturing a cross on himself before or after doing something risky.

[deleted]

Gezere
4/23/2004 1:35am,
Kuji Kiri is ritual CUTTING which you do with the hand as a sword.

Kuji In is the hand getsures that are mudra which is found in Hindu and Buddhist religions.

Their purpose is to focus your energy and conciousness. Same as when christains place their hands together to pray.

Spunky
4/23/2004 2:45am,
d'oh, kiri is done with gesture, long day :). I've read of it being written as well, but maybe I made that up.

oni
4/23/2004 3:08am,
theres something similar in yoga and energy work - hand positions are supposed to stimulate certain mudras apparently...

The_Dude73
4/23/2004 5:38am,
They come out of the Mikkyo sect of Bhuddism, if that helps in your search.

Omar
4/23/2004 5:44am,
Originally posted by Asia
Kuji Kiri is ritual CUTTING which you do with the hand as a sword.

Kuji In is the hand getsures that are mudra which is found in Hindu and Buddhist religions.

Their purpose is to focus your energy and conciousness. Same as when christains place their hands together to pray.

More than that. If you take a look at Russian Icons you will notice that most images of Christ, Mother Mary or any of the carious saints are generally depicted with hands in very specific positions. Mudra'a basically. Don't forget that the Judeo-Christian tradition is actually middle eastern in origin. I have an extremely close friend who's proffesion is old masters style oil painting. He can do icons or any other pre-20th century style of western painting. He poited out to me the correspondence between Christian iconography and Japanese Mudra's. He studied Zen and also some form of Iado in Japan for several years.

baltasargracian
4/23/2004 6:39am,
They're great for convincing people that you are a "ninjutsu practitioner", and while they are busy laughing, you can smack 300 stitches with a boxcutter right across thier face.
but seriously, im sure you would find plenty of articles on the net about them, maybe register at e-budo and ask someone there, who actually knows a bit about it, and has some academic, historical, spiritual, esoteric, or other assorted ravings to berate you with.

The_Dude73
4/23/2004 6:39am,
Am I inferring correctly in that you think some hand gestures depicted in Eastern Orthodox Christianity has similar meaning to Hindu and Bhuddist ones? Eastern Orthodox symbolism is often a holdout from Greek mystery cults.

The hand symbols of Judeo mysticism are usually from Khabbalistic or Solomonic traditions. They have little to do with the far eastern religions.

There may be similar gestures, but that's likely because there are only so many symbols you can make with your hands.

Omar
4/23/2004 7:12am,
Yes you are correct and:

1. They don't have to be transmitted from far eastern religions to have the same meanings.

2. I think you are underestimating the amount of commerce that has taken place between the ancient Greeks, Jews and those farther east. How far east did Alexanders empire extend? And then consider that the trade routes went all the way to central China.

They are not only the same gestures, they are often meant to indicate the same meaning. It doesn't really matter if you want to say it's collective unconious, parralel evolution, cross pollination of direct result of abstract truths. There they are. Ignoring the correlation is just being stubborn. It is possible that it is just coincidence but I wouldn't fo so far as to say likely.

Also keep in mind that "Easten Orthodox Christianity" extends all the way east to China. The Russians were Christian Orthodox too. :)

Jenfucius
4/23/2004 6:30pm,
depictions of guan yin, the chinese goddess of mercy, were influenced by depictions of the virgin mary that travelled along the silk road to asia.

albert
4/23/2004 6:45pm,
Originally posted by Jolly_Roger
They are a kata for pleasuring anally yourself. Once you achive certain penetration depth, you go through all of them, and you'll achive the nirvana of Ashida Kim, or at least come, if you're teh gheyest and masturbate to a picture of Ernst Borghnine in "Airwolf".

J.R.

PD: muttering the Dragon Ball Z song (you know, "Chala, head chala!" helps)

HAHAH! I remember that DBZ song.