PDA

View Full Version : Karate Matches

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

dodger87
4/22/2004 9:20am,
In some of the karate matches i downloaded off here I've noticed that they like to punch for the body when they easily could've punched for the head. Could someone tell me why this is?
I've also assumed that it wouldn't be a rule thats stopping them from punching to the head because they are allowed to use high kicks to the head as well.

DeadEye
4/22/2004 9:23am,
If you're referring to Kyokushin tournaments, yes, I believe punches to the head aren't allowed.

Osu
4/22/2004 10:05am,
Yes, in kyokushin tournaments punches to the head are not allowed, but kicks to the head are.

Osu
4/22/2004 10:07am,
And kyokushin is a karate style in case you didn't know. There also are other karate styles with different rules.

The_Ghost
4/22/2004 10:27am,
Same with Uechi-Ryu karate. Kicks to the head are allowed, whereas punches to the face aren't.

NOTE: This is only when in full contact without protective gear. When we put on protective gear (Okay it's basically a helmet and some small gloves) we can punch full contact to the face with knuckles, elbows, knees, kicks...whatever you want.

Ippatsu182
4/22/2004 10:37am,
Seidokan, which is an offshoot of Kyokushin, has two different sets of rules. One is similar to Kyokushin rules, except they wear light gloves. The other one is like K-1, except we wear headgear and shinpads and use bigger gloves.

The_Ghost
4/22/2004 10:40am,
I have seen full contact fights without headgear in Karate matches from my school. However, this is not till your higher up in the ranks (2nd Degree Black Belt or so).

Something inside of me finds this wrong, and yet I can't blame them for taking such precautions (let's face it, people will get hurt...duh). On one hand, byt the time they get into full contact fights without the gear they can handle themselves. Look at the flip-side though, I see all the time the younger trainees (non-black belts) just going at it. In the gear they are so safe they just run up to each other and start punching, no technique at all. Barely any leg attacks, its all punches to the face or chest.

tiredgirl
4/22/2004 1:10pm,
We have a Seibu-Kan blackbelt who comes to our dojo, and he said that his Sensei used to fight full-contact years ago with any technique being legal. Apparently there were terrible injuries. He had been punched in the back of the head, poked in the eye, and had permently screwed up teeth because of these fights. Yeah, gear does water down the fights and breeds a false sense of ability, but you'll still be able to go to work the next day.

Chupacabra
4/22/2004 1:19pm,
Originally posted by tiredgirl
We have a Seibu-Kan blackbelt who comes to our dojo, and he said that his Sensei used to fight full-contact years ago with any technique being legal. Apparently there were terrible injuries. He had been punched in the back of the head, poked in the eye, and had permently screwed up teeth because of these fights. Yeah, gear does water down the fights and breeds a false sense of ability, but you'll still be able to go to work the next day.

.......thats how my class is now except it isn't karate

TCDD
4/22/2004 5:13pm,
i did shukokai and shotokan fur quite a few years (god, im sorry) and particularly in the later, as you lock your punches out for a fraction of a second it is very easy to get disqualified hitting to the face, where as if you clash with someone closing into you and hit em in the gut, you will hurt em and probably score the point rather than get disqualified for hard contact (ie drawing blood)

MM4Guy
4/22/2004 5:38pm,
Originally posted by tiredgirl

Fighting with geer does not breed a false sense of ability. Wtf? If you are good, you are good, how can you think you are better than you really are with gear? You might have a false sense of conditioning, but not ability.

Yumi
4/23/2004 5:48pm,
No punching to the face? What kind of karate is that? It sounds more like Taekwondo to me.

Osu
4/23/2004 6:04pm,
Originally posted by Yumi
No punching to the face? What kind of karate is that? It sounds more like Taekwondo to me.
Don't go there n00b

joen00b
4/23/2004 6:13pm,

Actually, it would be more like Ninjutsu as it would be 'too deadly' to actually make contact with a Tiger Claw/Eagle Maw, 3 curl fingered nosepicker...

MaverickZ
4/23/2004 7:19pm,

i can pull out at least 3 videos of tkd with face contact without even thinking about where to look. so stfu.

The_Ghost
4/23/2004 9:01pm,
Actually, it would be more like Ninjutsu as it would be 'too deadly' to actually make contact with a Tiger Claw/Eagle Maw, 3 curl fingered nosepicker.

**** keeps piling up.

Unless you'd really like to be flamed...stfu.