PDA

View Full Version : Dryer safe gi

Lindz
8/23/2012 2:09pm,
Is this a thing? I never throw my gi in the dryer for fear that it will come out the perfect size for a newborn. But if I ever hope to train gi more than a couple times a week I need a gi that can dry faster than 3 days.

dflanmod
8/23/2012 2:39pm,
Is this a thing? I never throw my gi in the dryer for fear that it will come out the perfect size for a newborn. But if I ever hope to train gi more than a couple times a week I need a gi that can dry faster than 3 days.

I gave up on that ****. I ended up buying a larger gi and shrinking the **** out of it. The jacket came out perfect and the pants I had to take 2" off the bottom and hemmed (tailor chrged 10 dollars) them up. Now I just wash and dry with no worries.

Lindz
8/23/2012 3:26pm,
How many sizes up did you go?

dflanmod
8/23/2012 3:39pm,
How many sizes up did you go?

I believe in my case I went one size up.
One thing that helped me was I checked out the loaner Gi's at the gym. Those things have been dried hundreds of times and are as small as they're going to get. That way I pretty much knew exactly how it was going to come out.

W. Rabbit
8/23/2012 3:41pm,

Air dry it on a cycle with no heat (ie delicates), for a longer period of time (90-120m). Works like a charm. I did that in college, and it only cost me a few extra quarters a week.

Styygens
8/23/2012 3:46pm,
Invest in a second gi and alternate wearing while one dries.

ChenPengFi
8/23/2012 3:59pm,
My Atama goes into the dryer, it was one size larger than my ripstop one and it fits great.
The ripstop gi gets the most mileage these days, it folds up really small and air dries in no time.
I like it so much i'm going to buy a second one soon, even though i have three cotton ones already.

Lindz
8/23/2012 4:15pm,
Invest in a second gi and alternate wearing while one dries.

I've done that already. It's only enough for 2 classes a week.

Styygens
8/24/2012 1:49pm,

Then, third gi??? Or space out your classes differently? I need a full gi for two or three of my classes and two seems to be plenty for me. And in a good week, I'm doing five or six classes.

Of course, I've been at this awhile: I have two white judogis, two black judogis (don't judge me), two karategi, and assorted spare parts. No one said your third gi has to break the bank. Buy it cheap, and laugh along with your tormentors if they make fun of the brand. If you're able to train more because of it, you'll get the last laugh.

Ming Loyalist
8/24/2012 3:22pm,

get more.

i have 4 judogi (well 5, including an old single weave i only use when i travel) and i train 5 days a week. i could probably get away with 3 of them, as they dry for me in 2 days (i have a good washer with a good spin cycle which gets a lot of the water out.)

alternately i bet some of those new-fangled ripstop gis dry fast if they are allowed in your dojo, but i wouldn't know for sure, since i wear a real man's gi that can stand on it's own and is so rough on my skin that after class it makes me look like i ran through a rosebush naked. at least i don't have to exfoliate or anything gay like that :P

i was looking at getting one of these for when i travel, as it would be nice to have one that could be washed out in a sink and hung to dry without taking 7 days to dry. http://www.budoexport.com/kimono-judo-ultra-leger-yomogi-seido-xml-322_466-2221.html

searcher66071
8/24/2012 8:02pm,
I ended up buying a larger gi and shrinking the **** out of it. The jacket came out perfect and the pants I had to take 2" off the bottom and hemmed (tailor chrged 10 dollars) them up. Now I just wash and dry with no worries.

I did the same with my BJJ gi. I wear an A4 and I bought an A6. Shrank it and boom, fits great!!

JudoA
8/28/2012 4:29am,
Black Eagle Predator gi apparently can be put in the drier and the shrinkage is negligible.

Or just get another gi to line-dry. A light gi will obviously dry faster but some are very flimsy and easy to grab onto and choke you with.

DarkPhoenix
8/28/2012 11:29am,
I have a size 6 REN bleached white gi, and I put that in the dryer all the time. The pants fit perfect and the jacket is still a little baggy. I have a black Ronin Competition Gi, also in size 6 and I dry that one too. Just to give you an idea, I am 6'3 and about 245 lbs (AKA Fat fooker!)

BJMills
8/28/2012 1:22pm,
I alternate between two gis and just hang dry them after washing. They tend to last a lot longer that way.

Aikislacker
8/28/2012 3:03pm,
Hang your gi on a hanger and put a fan directly on it. I do this with all my gis-doubleweave and singleweave. They dry within 6 hours.