PDA

View Full Version : Define MMA

Pages : [1] 2

dodger87
4/20/2004 11:16am,
I think i have a brief understanding of MMA but can someone define it properly?

Shuma-Gorath
4/20/2004 11:19am,
*Horrible, horrible flashbacks of Ninjitsu Overview*

In a very, very short post: Mixed Martial Arts is an ethos defined by practicing numerous specialized arts in order to become proficient in all ranges of unarmed combat. You could include armed combat, but that's not generally what people mean.

In the future, please use the Search function. However, this was probably a valid question since your particular search would only lead to to massive flames from the board's early days.

Punisher
4/20/2004 11:26am,
I think i have a brief understanding of MMA but can someone define it properly?

No.

Seriously.

What MMA is a means is a hot topic open to much debate.

You probably know that MMA means mixed martial arts.

In the sense that the term was originally used this meant representatives of different martial arts competing under a unified set of rules. UFC I was promoted as such. Kickboxing vs. Karate, Muy Thai vs. Ju-Jitsu. Under this definition UFC and Pride are MMA, but so are K-1 which focuses on striking styles and sumbission grappling tournaments that focus on grappling.

Some people say to really me "MMA" you need striking and grappling or a "mix" of martial arts. So under some peoples definition K-1 is just kickboxing. In fact K-1 has started having matches with "MMA" rules as opposed to the their usual "K-1" rules.

Finally MMA has become a style of fighting. Under any set of unified rules there is a "best" and most effective way to fight under them. Instead of having a vast constrast in styles, most Pride and UFC fighters fight basically the same with a combo of muy thai, BJJ, and amateur-wrestling. Instead of learning three different styles, they learn how to fight under MMA rules as a single cohesive style.

Matt W.
4/20/2004 11:46am,
I am one of the people that believes MMA has, at this point, pretty much become a style all its own. Most people believe it means "mixing" different styles together, but there is more to it than that. It is not just mixing any styles, but it is mixing strong striking arts with strong grappling and groundfighting arts. And it has as its focus single unarmed combat between two individuals, which is usually practiced in a low rules, sportive environment.

Today, with but few exceptions MMA means a mix of boxing, wrestling, Muay Thai and BJJ.

Matt

Moleculo
4/20/2004 11:53am,
GRAB/HIT.

Dochter
4/20/2004 5:52pm,
And the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round.

MM4Guy
4/20/2004 6:01pm,
MMA is a gay form of rough sex.

toothpaste100
4/20/2004 6:02pm,
I thought gay sex was rough.

MM4Guy
4/20/2004 6:03pm,
The rectum can only be made so big, so you present a valid point.

JackHanma
4/20/2004 6:30pm,
Quote: Mixed Martial Arts is an ethos defined by practicing numerous specialized arts in order to become proficient in all ranges of unarmed combat. You could include armed combat, but that's not generally what people mean.

You are mostly correct but you are forgeting an important element: competition.

Here's how I define MMA: Mixed Martial Arts is the practicing and combining of numerous specialized arts in order to become proficient in all ranges of unarmed combat in usually order to compete in a low rules combat competition (MMA event). You could include armed combat (Dog Bothers), but that's not generally what people mean.

MM4Guy
4/20/2004 6:31pm,
You are saying the purpose of MMA is to compete in an MMA event, not totally correct. Are you saying you can't kick some major ass on "TEH STR33T" or just get in shape, while not competing?

JackHanma
4/20/2004 6:34pm,
That's why I just added the word usually. Sorry!

chaosexmachina
4/20/2004 7:29pm,
Define MMA?

An acronym, representing the phrase 'mixed martial arts'. Also known as, VALE TUDO, NHB, and PANKRATION.

MM4Guy
4/20/2004 7:34pm,
www.google.com stop teh fuss!

Phrost
4/20/2004 7:37pm,
I'd like it if MMA was defined simply as a limited rules combat sport. I do not want to see it defined as an art in itself. That would lead to "MMA McDojos".

Bang!
4/20/2004 10:36pm,
MMA is the thing that people do when they're really serious about learning unarmed combat. Participating in that process ensures that it is both constantly changing and impossible to describe with any specifics. Teaching it to people uninvolved in that process turns it into a system, which, in many cases, stagnates and gives rise to McDojoism, as our good site director has so aptly pointed out.

And that . . . is the history of martial arts in a nutshell. Thank you, goodnight, drive safe!