PDA

View Full Version : Size vs Conditioning

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Akurra
4/19/2004 5:16pm,
For fighting in the street, what do you find is most effective. Being a big strong bull-like character or being a small, fast, machine that never runs out of gas? Can you never have both? What is everyone's most comfortable fighting weight in relation to their normal weight?

Akurra
4/19/2004 5:18pm,
I probably should have posted this in a different section. whoops

JohnnyFive
4/19/2004 9:08pm,
Well, I saw a book that said that the All Japan champions for Judo were around 210-220 pounds, and would practice six days a week for two or three hours a day. There's strength /and/ conditioning! ;)

Greese
4/19/2004 9:28pm,
And that has nothing to do with anything. Thanks for posting.

Gezere
4/20/2004 6:58am,
a big strong bull-like character

You rang?:D

Zenman
4/20/2004 7:11am,
I'm 6'3" 210 pounds of Texas beef and I don't run out of gas...and I'm 53. Only guy that almost ever beat me was smaller and faster...till he ran into my fist!

Akurra
4/20/2004 9:04am,
impressive, so i get the impression that most people keep their fighting weight as high as possible?

Furtry
4/20/2004 9:13am,
As street fights rarely go the distance because of outside interference and other mitigating factors (read the FBI report on violent street crime) I say being big and powerful gives one the edge. That being said, when a fight goes beyond the 30 second mark all the emotional reserves, which all amateurs fight on, are depleted then it really is advantageous to be conditioned, no matter your size.
I found from personal experience that it's better to survive the initial onslaught then to FUBAR him when he can't fight back.

SanWuLi
4/20/2004 9:20am,
Speed is the most important ESPECIALLY on the street. Even if you have the hardest punch in the galaxy, you can't hurt 'em if you can't hit 'em.
On the aggressor's side, the faster you can take someone' eyes out or rip off his ears, the better.

Colin
4/20/2004 9:25am,
I have to vote size and power.
No doubt there are cases when an extrordinary little guy can take out a big guy..
I'm a natural skeptic, though..
I'm big, and I like it.

Gezere
4/20/2004 9:26am,
You can have the fastest punch inthe world but if it doesn't hurt him then you still toast.

PizDoff
4/20/2004 9:29am,
Originally posted by Asia
You rang?:D

Asia....being quit full of bull.

Like Furtry said, the adrenaline rush, causing a multitude of other effects, will negate many of the benefits of having dexterity and endurance.

I don't know your perception of "street" fights but they usually are over quickly. Hence the endurance factor isn't as importance as when you are in the ring. I NO TEH GRAPPLE!

Colin
4/20/2004 9:29am,
Asia: I absolutely agree, and expanding on that..
Just because I run slow, doesn't mean I punch slow.
size and power + fast punches + grappling advantage = little guy gets owned.

dodger87
4/20/2004 10:51am,
In a street fight I'd rather be conditioned and small than big and bull-like. Chances are the big guy will just be rushing towards you swinging punches like crazy. But if you were conditioned to rely on your instincts during a street fight, training in full contact sparring, bag work, getting into the ring often, you'd probably figure a way around the raging maniac.

Colin
4/20/2004 10:54am,
dodger87: Big guys train too, you know..

Dochter
4/20/2004 11:01am,
Originally posted by dodger87
In a street fight I'd rather be conditioned and small than big and bull-like. Chances are the big guy will just be rushing towards you swinging punches like crazy. But if you were conditioned to rely on your instincts during a street fight, training in full contact sparring, bag work, getting into the ring often, you'd probably figure a way around the raging maniac.

dodger = 5'5", ~135pounds