PDA

View Full Version : Gear Inquiry

DaidoJukuJoe
6/23/2012 9:29pm,
Now I know some may think its a weakness to train with shin guards, but I am looking for a detailed thread on the pros and cons of different brands of shin guards. Recently I've been plagued with a rash of foot problems from checked kicks while training and am really looking for a nice, easily cleanable shin guard with excellent top of foot coverage. I can't be limping around all day at work anymore, the military don't like it.

Basically, post if you use a good set and your experience with them. Brand name, durability, cleanability.

Neo Sigma
6/23/2012 11:07pm,
There's a gear review forum, which is a little harder to find than it probably should be. http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=111

You can find some shin guard reviews there, including the one I wrote about Top King Pro shin guards. To condense it, I've had them for almost two years now, and I love them. The instep pad covers the whole foot, and the protection on them is great. They aren't the cheapest ones around at around 60-75 dollars, but you'll get your money's worth. As old as mine are, they're still doing a solid job after having the crap beaten out of them several days a week. No shin guards are really going to help all that much if you keep hitting with the top of your foot, though. That's always going to hurt and leave your foot banged up unless you're wearing boots.

A few words of advice. First, anyone who tells you shin guards somehow make you weak is an idiot who isn't worth listening to, because your health is more important that wagging your dick with your buddies about who has more bruises and is limping worse. Seriously, even the pros train with them.

Second, try to stick with standup-specific shin guards. MMA shin guards typically are smaller and don't really give a ton of protection, due to the fact that they're designed to be low-profile so people can grapple in them too. I'm sure they're fine for what they were designed for, but if you're kicking and checking a lot, you want something that was specifically made for that. Also, a lot of them have neoprene backings, which is a ding against them as far as clean-ability goes, and they're horrifically annoying to take off if you sweat a lot.

DaidoJukuJoe
6/23/2012 11:15pm,
Yeah, I'm using some that are official kudo federation that are used in training, children's competition and elderly competition (business class in budo sport Japan). I've used them for the past year and a half and they've had it. I searched for that thread but just couldn't find it, I appreciate the link. I'm definitely willing to pay for some good ones, I recently came off of some serious toe knuckle damage on my left foot, then just last week threw a hard right low that was checked and boy I felt like I broke the top of my foot. Thanks for the info!