PDA

View Full Version : Outweighed a bad thing?

The_Ghost
4/18/2004 5:29pm,
Now most of you guys know I'm a skinny bastard. At my dojo, and schools I go to (I travel between a couple schools nearby because I have friends who like to spar with me at them) I'm always outweighed in matches. There are little guys my size, but that my reach gives me advantage, and if they get in I'm technically outweighed (more mass in there arms and upper boady).

So most of the time I'm fighting guys 10-40 pounds heavier if not more. Obviously, I don't win much (which doesn't matter to me at THIS point, its just getting experience) but I try to do my best.

My question is, do you think its harmful to me (mentally and experience wise) to fight larger guys all the time?

riceavenger
4/18/2004 5:33pm,
Im the smallest guy in my BJJ class. I weigh 150 lb but I should probabily be only around 125. The lightest guy there is like 170 lb. My instrucor is pretty small as well, but he reguarily owns the big 300 lb guy in the class. I havent gotten injured yet from fighting big ass guys.

The_Ghost
4/18/2004 5:34pm,
That's not what I meant dude. Read my post again ;).

GajusCaesar
4/18/2004 5:44pm,
Originally posted by The_Ghost
Now most of you guys know I'm a skinny bastard. At my dojo, and schools I go to (I travel between a couple schools nearby because I have friends who like to spar with me at them) I'm always outweighed in matches. There are little guys my size, but that my reach gives me advantage, and if they get in I'm technically outweighed (more mass in there arms and upper boady).

So most of the time I'm fighting guys 10-40 pounds heavier if not more. Obviously, I don't win much (which doesn't matter to me at THIS point, its just getting experience) but I try to do my best.

My question is, do you think its harmful to me (mentally and experience wise) to fight larger guys all the time?

In no way shape or form is this bad. I think it's a great thing. It is harder to hurt bigger guys and easier to be hurt by them. This forces you to develop good movement and evasion. Also, it forces you to concentrate on high percentage strikes that will do enough damage to hurt a bigger guy.

The only downside to this I can see is that you won't get as much practice fighting people that are faster than you and that may move better than you. Also, you may undervalue techniques that could more easily hurt a smaller person.

The_Ghost
4/18/2004 5:48pm,
The only downside to this I can see is that you won't get as much practice fighting people that are faster than you and that may move better than you. Also, you may undervalue techniques that could more easily hurt a smaller person.

Okay, I get what your saying. I had thought of a few of those things too. Thanks for the info. I'm not going to stop fighting these guys (they're really fun to spar with and all around nice guys. They treat me like a little brother), but I was curious because a Kajekenbo(SP?) guy from here invited me to come down, and the people at his place are big too. So I was curious if anyone could think of anything I couldn't as to why it would be harmful to my experiences.

Stick
4/18/2004 6:17pm,
Psychologically, while constant loss can certainly lead to depression, trust me, constantly battling the bigger guys will really help your confidence. After a couple years of getting my ass handed to me by guys that outweigh me ocassionaly in excess of 100lbs...... well to be honest, bigger people just don't intimidate me anymore.

Also, great strength and conditioning training if you roll with 'em. Nothing works my legs quite like trying to keep a heavy weight in my guard and working the sweeps and triangles.

mikus
4/18/2004 11:59pm,
Go against smaller people sometimes. Otherwise you get too used to running around the larger people in circles and then get confused when you go against someone faster than you.

Rashomon
4/19/2004 1:17am,
I agree that fighting bigger guys is very helpful. If you ever do have to fight someone for real, chances are he will be bigger than you as well.

That being said, I would be concerned about learning the proper technique. It can be difficult to learn how to do something... how something is SUPPOSED to be done... if your opponent won't work with you at first. I'm not saying I'm in favor of ukis role-playing with you, just that I think it's important to be able to drill something before adding the resistance. If you guys are already doing that, as I suppose you are, then you should be fine.

As an example, when rolling with people who are much better than me (which is most of the time), I sometimes can't tell if I can't get something to work because I'm doing it wrong or because the other person is just better than me. That doesn't give me the feedback I want. Like sometimes, I'll try to do a mount or cross-body escape. I can't get the escape to work, but my opponent will switch positions. Did he switch because I escaped, or did he switch because I was *starting* to escape? Hmmmm.

JKDChick
4/19/2004 2:21am,
Originally posted by The_Ghost

I fight guys, stand-up and ground, 95% of the time. I am rarely, if ever, at any kind of physcical advantage. When I recently fought women in a tournament, they all looked like midgets to me. THAT is a dangerous thought, since it might have made me cocky. I don't think it did, this time, but I'm watching it.

That is the only danger, I think, that it might give you a false sense of security or dominance against those of your size or smaller. Otherwise, I'd say it's the best thing that can happen to you. It's been an enormous boon to me.

manchuria
4/19/2004 4:16am,
sucks to be you, midgets...

The_Ghost
4/19/2004 9:13am,

Fuckin ogres. :)

Kiozz
4/19/2004 10:29am,
You should sparr with people of every weight, especially your own. I would spar mostly with those that outweight you by 10 pounds.
I don't think there's anything wrong in sparring with heavier people and you should go for it even at the kajukembo school.

"My question is, do you think its harmful to me (mentally and experience wise) to fight larger guys all the time?"

A lot heavier and ALL the time, yes. 40 pound heavier at times, and 10/20 pounds heavier usually, no.

Hannibal
4/20/2004 12:34am,
A question Ghost. When you spar with others is it purely stand up strikig, or is grappling allowed ?

Acid The Great
4/20/2004 12:41am,
Originally posted by manchuria
lol

Ghost, are you trained to use your opponents weight against them in your style or is that not possible?

JOHN DOE
4/20/2004 2:09am,
You need to learn to fight all sizes.use speed and quick striking,side stepping on big guys.with some one your size you need to learn to be in position to blast.some times its hard for big guys to fight the smaller faster guys because they are hard to catch and get a good shot in.