PDA

View Full Version : Cult and occult in the martial arts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

fivecracked88
6/18/2012 10:43am,
I have recently been informed that a Kung fu school in London called Nam Pai Chuan and headed by Sifu Christopher Lai, practices "Blood Oaths". This is where a student is persuaded to ricite some garbage in a incensed smoked filled room, declaring undying loyalty to Sifu Lai and seniors and all ancestors. After this, they are required to sign a paper, prick their finger and leave a bloodied fingerprint next to their signature. This is usually only offered to students who is thought to be of above average ability, or who Lai deems may be useful to the school and himself in the future. This smells of cult-like behaviour to me! Though the participants of this BS may be (hopefully) all consenting adults, this kind of cult-like behaviour can be dangerous to the more the vunerable members of society. Let's face it there are many who start training in the martial arts because they feel vunerable and afraid.

If this is true, then this trash needs to be stopped now! There is no place for this kind of demi-god-like and manipulative behaviour in martial arts.

Diesel_tke
6/18/2012 10:53am,
Sounds cool to me. I would do it. I'll talk to my coach about it tonight.

erezb
6/18/2012 10:54am,
I saw something of a cult like loyelty in a gung fu place, they had hirarchy, who could be closest to the trainer . He shouted and threatened them if they did something wrong, the whole thing was very weird, i guess the trainer was this charismatic narcissist.
Any who yet another reason to hate Kung Fu.

DerAuslander
6/18/2012 10:57am,
I have recently been informed that a Kung fu school in London called Nam Pai Chuan and headed by Sifu Christopher Lai, practices "Blood Oaths". This is where a student is persuaded to ricite some garbage in a incensed smoked filled room, declaring undying loyalty to Sifu Lai and seniors and all ancestors. After this, they are required to sign a paper, prick their finger and leave a bloodied fingerprint next to their signature. This is usually only offered to students who is thought to be of above average ability, or who Lai deems may be useful to the school and himself in the future. This smells of cult-like behaviour to me! Though the participants of this BS may be (hopefully) all consenting adults, this kind of cult-like behaviour can be dangerous to the more the vunerable members of society. Let's face it there are many who start training in the martial arts because they feel vunerable and afraid.

If this is true, then this trash needs to be stopped now! There is no place for this kind of demi-god-like and manipulative behaviour in martial arts.

You need to shut the **** up.

fivecracked88
6/18/2012 11:39am,
Thanks for the reply.
But don't hate the style, there are good styles and teachers. This kind of thing happens in other styles of martial arts.

fivecracked88
6/18/2012 11:41am,
You need to shut the **** up.

You need to grow-up...Prat!!

Diesel_tke
6/18/2012 12:35pm,
I have recently been informed that a Kung fu school in London called Nam Pai Chuan and headed by Sifu Christopher Lai, practices "Blood Oaths". .

Have you actually witnessed this, or is this hearsay?

And why do you care? And what is the evidence of manipulations that you speak of?

DerAuslander
6/18/2012 12:38pm,
You need to grow-up...Prat!!

I'm not the one who went on a rage post in the OP about cultural practices of which I have absolutely no understanding.

slamdunc
6/18/2012 1:16pm,
a student is persuaded to ricite some garbage in a incensed smoked filled room, declaring undying loyalty to Sifu Lai and seniors and all ancestors.
And I thought I had it rough doing wide horse-stances for ten minutes at a time back in my Kung Fu days. Sifu never asked for blood; then again, maybe he didn't think I was above average ability. I never got the incense either; that Tiger Balm was awesome though.

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member3257.png (http://militarysignatures.com)

fivecracked88
6/18/2012 1:24pm,
[QUOTE=Diesel_tke;2697878]Have you actually witnessed this, or is this hearsay?

Yes I have witnessed it.

And why do you care? And what is the evidence of manipulations that you speak of?[/QUOTE

Why shouldn't I care?

Regarding manipulation...I'd rather not say just now.

Diesel_tke
6/18/2012 1:33pm,
[QUOTE=Diesel_tke;2697878]Have you actually witnessed this, or is this hearsay?

Yes I have witnessed it.

And why do you care? And what is the evidence of manipulations that you speak of?[/QUOTE

If you witnessed it, why did you say this:

I have recently been informed that

Why shouldn't I care?

Because it is not hurting anything other than the little pin prick. It's an oath, believe it or not, some people take oath's pretty seriously. Why not involve your blood into the matter?

Then don't bring it up in the first place!

slamdunc
6/18/2012 1:35pm,
Yes I have witnessed it.
Were these adults, willingly participating in a program (as cult-like as it may seem to you)?

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member3257.png (http://militarysignatures.com)

It is Fake
6/18/2012 1:35pm,
I have recently been informed that a Kung fu school in London called Nam Pai Chuan and headed by Sifu Christopher Lai, practices "Blood Oaths". Translation:
I have second hand information, about a school, that I have no contact with in my area.

This is where a student is persuaded to ricite some garbage in a incensed smoked filled room, declaring undying loyalty to Sifu Lai and seniors and all ancestors. After this, they are required to sign a paper, prick their finger and leave a bloodied fingerprint next to their signature. I have no clue what it means, but it scares me and I am going to try and scare you.

This is usually only offered to students who is thought to be of above average ability, or who Lai deems may be useful to the school and himself in the future. From what I understand he picks his favorietes. There are no such things as favorites.

This smells of cult-like behaviour to me! Though the participants of this BS may be (hopefully) all consenting adults, this kind of cult-like behaviour can be dangerous to the more the vunerable members of society.I'm going to scare you by saying Cult. "Cult" grabs attention and then I can rant.

Let's face it there are many who start training in the martial arts because they feel vunerable and afraid. I will then make up a random statistic to build my point. Most gullible people take martial arts because they are scary.

If this is true, then this trash needs to be stopped now! There is no place for this kind of demi-god-like and manipulative behaviour in martial arts.If I don't understand it, it is trash.

That's how this read to me. Posts some facts, with links, testimonials and other information if you are going to call someone out in this fashion.

Thank you.

DerAuslander
6/18/2012 1:49pm,
Yes I have witnessed it.

Then do us all a favor and shut the **** up.

DerAuslander
6/18/2012 1:50pm,
Blood oaths are so droll. I prefer sex oaths.

fivecracked88
6/18/2012 1:52pm,
I'm not the one who went on a rage post in the OP about cultural practices of which I have absolutely no understanding.

Listen... I've been practicing and teaching Kung Fu for three decades, week in, week out, year in, year out. I've paid my dues the hard way, the honest way. I've never left the path.. I know plenty about the cultural practices involved. So please don't play the cultural card. Too many bad things happen in this world in the name of CULTURE. Get over it!
In some cultures parents kill there children because they refuse to marry the person chosen for them. Just because it's part of cultural, behaviour, it doesn't make it right or good. Somethings are just more wrong than they are right.