PDA

View Full Version : What's better than beef?

Pages : [1] 2

jspeedy
6/16/2012 6:17pm,
Well as far as your health is concerned goat meat may be the healthiest meat available. My interest in goat meat was first piqued when a patient of mine who is Jamaican brought in some goat curry. It was delicious. I looked into the health value of goat meat and was surprised to learn it's higher in protein than beef and has less saturated fat than chicken, it also is loaded with other healthy vitamins and minerals. Now I just have to find out where to get it in Orlando, FL. I know Publix takes special orders so i'm hoping I can get it through them from time to time.

Draw backs to goat meat that i've read of are a "gamey" taste and cost. The taste (so I read) varies based on the age of the goat and the goat's diet. Personally I can't stand you bitches that complain about "gamey" tasting foods such as venison and the like. I like the taste of animals that eat what they naturally would. Wild hog for example tastes much better that store bought farmed pork. Some sources I've found state goat is pricey while others say it is cheaper because the meat is better for braising and slow cooking with less prime cuts for steak like beef. I know my patient that brought me the meat said he buys the goats up in Alabama at auction. I assume he or someone he knows slaughters them, don't think i'll be doing that around the family though but if I knew how to I sure would.

Anyone else down with goat meat?

Here are some sources siting the health benefits of goat:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/442009-what-are-the-health-benefits-of-goat-meat/

http://www.bakersacresranch.com/Nutrient%20Composition%20of%20Goat%20Meat.html

gregaquaman
6/17/2012 2:00am,
kangaroo is supposed to be up there as well. I have had goat it is not too bad.

jnp
6/17/2012 2:07am,
Where I live, Cabrito (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat_meat) tacos are readily available.

Cabrito is delicious. I also love Bison, but holy cow is that meat expensive in Austin.

Lindz
6/17/2012 3:56am,
I've had goat. It's good occasionally, definitely wouldn't want to have it regularly.

Fuzzy
6/17/2012 4:13am,
I've had goat once or twice, not bad, definitely not going to rank higher than steak for me though.

As far as other "exotic" animals go, Springbok is awesome, Ostrich is also pretty good if cooked right, kind-of similar to Kangaroo.

Crocodile is also really good.

Would not recommend Kudu.

ChenPengFi
6/17/2012 9:21am,
A good friend hunts goats all the time, they are quite a nuisance.

He brines the backstraps in Sprite overnight, then pats them dry and gives them a liberal coating of coarsely ground black pepper and kosher salt.
He then makes it into a roll and ties it with butcher's twine.
The roll goes straight on the grill, cooked to medium and then rests covered in foil for a bit.
Sliced and served on a platter no one even knows what it is, but they love it all around.
I heard someone say, "This is the best steak I've ever had!"
Lol...

HereBeADragon
6/17/2012 2:53pm,
Check ethnic markets for goat meat. Cubans are big fans of it as are most south/central americans. Actually africans too. It tastes similar to lamb which isn't surprising since they are closely related. Its a very healthy meat but as far as I know Bison is the healthiest, its also my favorite! Its sometimes called chevon.

lordbd
6/17/2012 2:59pm,
Bison burgers ftw

battlefields
6/17/2012 6:09pm,
Love kangaroo meat, sounds the same as goat, higher in protein, low in fat, some people say it has a gamey taste. If it has a gamey taste and you don't like it, fucking marinade it, dammit.

TheRuss
6/18/2012 12:56am,
less saturated fat than chicken

This is bad.

battlefields
6/18/2012 1:18am,
This is bad.

This could be a bit cryptic to a nutrition n00b, TheRuss. I'm just wondering if you mean that we need fat in our food, or if you mean that extremely lean meat is not good? Can you clarify that position?

I know that fat in the diet of someone in training is a necessity and that people who cut fat out of their diet are doing themselves a major disservice. Someone new to the site might not know this so clarification might be in order.

Not telling you what to do, though, bro.

Hexe
6/18/2012 5:39am,
Goat meat here in Melbourne is cheap and accessible ( all those damn Greeks and their wicked food) $10-12 a kilo for good cuts at Vic market.roo is good , and as a kiwi refugee hiding out in Vic I relish eating another nations national symbol. Roo is cheap as. Jamaican goat curries rip - make the meat rub from scratch and you can store in the fridge for few months - and 'cos it's exotic and sustainable like you can impress those green ladies at pot luck dinner nights

scipio
6/18/2012 6:40am,
Goat is fantastic if you curry it or some other strong tasting sauce. Great instead of lamb in Indian curries. Quite a few places sell it where I live in the UK, if you haven't tried it then give it a go.

As for strong taste it is no different from eating lamb. I think the problem is that people have got so used to bland processed/factory farm meat that they don't know what real meat tastes like.

Permalost
6/18/2012 12:09pm,
My girlfriend's Indian mom cooks with goat. I'm not a big fan but I always eat whatever she puts in front of me, so I guess its good to know that its healthy. Although lots of curries out there in restaurants aren't exactly healthy regardless of the meat in them. Half and half is often used in curries to make it more creamy.

TheRuss
6/18/2012 10:10pm,
This could be a bit cryptic to a nutrition n00b, TheRuss. I'm just wondering if you mean that we need fat in our food, or if you mean that extremely lean meat is not good? Can you clarify that position?

I know that fat in the diet of someone in training is a necessity and that people who cut fat out of their diet are doing themselves a major disservice. Someone new to the site might not know this so clarification might be in order.

Not telling you what to do, though, bro.

1) The title of this thread indicates that goat is "better than beef" nutritionally
2) The body of the OP says that goat has "less saturated fat than chicken"
3) Saturated fat is good for you
4) 1) and 2) are thus inconsistent

I just felt like pointing this out.

scipio
6/19/2012 4:44am,
My girlfriend's Indian mom cooks with goat. I'm not a big fan but I always eat whatever she puts in front of me, so I guess its good to know that its healthy. Although lots of curries out there in restaurants aren't exactly healthy regardless of the meat in them. Half and half is often used in curries to make it more creamy.

The problem with a lot of restaurant curries is that they tend to be very oily – Indians often cook with ghee which is clarified butter and is appalling bad for you. We tend to cook them at home (my wife is of Indian descent) we use less oil and use 0 fat yoghurt which means they can be fairly healthy especially if you incorporate some veg in them.