PDA

View Full Version : Pride and UFC fighters. True MAists or not?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

FormLess
4/18/2004 3:52pm,
I was having a discussion with one of my friends about NHB fighters of today and we were arguing about whether these people were embodying what it really means to be a MAists. I told him that I felt that they were practicing true budo of today. Most of these people are very humble and respectful as well. He didn't agree with that, and I figured that he had a very narrow perspective of mmaists. I think alot of people in the average ma school have this misunderstanding about them. He was telling me that a martial artists was not just a fighter but also a healer. He said that these people today only focus on the fighting part and leave out all the other important aspects. In my opinion, martial arts are about fighting no matter how you look at it. The goal of a martial artist should be to become a better fighter. And that, because of this, a better person. Usually this comes through sacrifice and struggle as well as some painful losses. People who fight in the ring go through all of these things. They may go through a period of intense fear before getting in the ring or be beaten up really badly and have thier egos shattered. They may see an opponent with incredible heart that still fights to the end even though his ankle is broken. My point is that MMA fighters go through alot of suffering and hardship that, in turn makes them better people. I think that this is why martial arts were eventually thought of as a way towards self betterment. But as time went on, the styles became less fighting oriented and then they practically didn't fight at all. They just figured that they would teach people how to be better through talking about it and not through experiencing it. They missed the point that character development in the martial arts came through all the hardships that a warrior goes through. I've seen many people in the TMAs that were very arrogant and closeminded. Just like there are some like that in the MMAs as well. What are your opinions on this. Are people in MMA a bunch of Barbarians, or are they representing MA in the way they were meant to be?

Te(V)plar
4/18/2004 4:00pm,
MMA'ers are at the pinnacle of our times. Things like UFC, Cable, the Internet, etc etc etc have shown that there is no "superior" style. Superior fighters need to rely on multiple styles in order for them to complete one another; to fill each other's gaps. Your friend seems to differ on his definition of what a martial art is, but for me, martial arts is learning a style (or styles) of fighting, and then making your own interpretation of that style via your technique. Learn the style, then make it your own.

IMO, the martial arts world is undergoing a renaissance. It's really being shaken up and views held for centuries are being challenged.

Omega Supreme
4/18/2004 4:05pm,
Me not Barbarian, I'm coming over there and
"crush you, have you run away before me while I hear the cries of your woman (or boyfriend)"

Dochter
4/18/2004 4:05pm,
What centuries old views are you talking about.

Century maybe.

Stick
4/18/2004 4:09pm,
Conan, what are the best things in life?

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and try hear the lamentations of their women!

Jolly_Roger
4/18/2004 4:30pm,
Cohen the Barbarian, what's best in life:
- Warm water, good dentistry and soft lavatory paper...

MaverickZ
4/18/2004 5:22pm,
MMA'ers just like TMA'ers (whatever those means) are all people. there are arrogant people and there are humble people, nice people and mean people, in both of those categories. your friend has a stereotype that is not very realistic.

the second thing is people who spend a lot of time in the martial arts learn how a body functions. they may not be doctors or "healers" but they understand the basics of how a body works. when you spend that much time refining your body and its ability to move you just can't help but pick up a few things.

Stick
4/18/2004 5:22pm,
Nice one.

Wonder what Conan the Librarian would have to say...

Dochter
4/18/2004 5:27pm,
the second thing is people who spend a lot of time in the martial arts learn how a body functions. they may not be doctors or "healers" but they understand the basics of how a body works. when you spend that much time refining your body and its ability to move you just can't help but pick up a few things.

Like the flow of chi? There may be some limited biomechanical understanding but no more than any athelete (and maybe less because of an increased level of superstition).

As for humility and such, that is indeed an individual characteristic and is hard to generalize. However when you constantly are being tapped by people, compete full on against people ranked higher than you, I do think there tends to be less undeserved arrogance. There is a lot less unquestioned respect for rank than there is for ability and whether or not you're a dick under that sort of situation. This may not inherently exclude tma's of course.

MaverickZ
4/18/2004 5:53pm,
Originally posted by Dochter
There may be some limited biomechanical understanding but no more than any athelete (and maybe less because of an increased level of superstition).

that's pretty much what i meant (i'm not a big fan of chi). as any athletes, martial artists can tell when a body is working normally and when it's not to some extent, like how to tell whether something is broken or not.

Dochter
4/18/2004 6:10pm,
I actually would disagree. Half of the people in my class are always injured in some way. I've got some chronic injuries myself.

Basically none of us would know what the hell normal is. Somehow I don't think training despite injury is indicative of an appreciation of how the body works.

I am, hopefully obviously, mostly fucking with you.

Boyd
4/18/2004 6:11pm,
Originally posted by omega
Me not Barbarian, I'm coming over there and
"crush you, have you run away before me while I hear the cries of your woman (or boyfriend)"

That is quite possibly the clumsiest, least articulate mangling of a classic movie quote I've ever had the misfortune to bear witness to. God help us in the future.

Stick
4/18/2004 6:21pm,
Well, at least I got it right.

MaverickZ
4/18/2004 6:23pm,
Originally posted by Dochter
I actually would disagree. Half of the people in my class are always injured in some way. I've got some chronic injuries myself.

Basically none of us would know what the hell normal is. Somehow I don't think training despite injury is indicative of an appreciation of how the body works.

I am, hopefully obviously, mostly fucking with you.

haha, i think all martial artists have that masochistic mentality. must be that whole mind over matter stuff, or maybe lack of mind, i dunno. i just know my damn toe has been jammed for months and i can't bring myself to wait for it to heal.

liuzg150181
4/18/2004 8:29pm,
Reminds me of my thread:
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11541

Anyway since when do we visit a kungfu/tkd/karate/judo master whenever we are ill?
I would say now I generally respect MMAist more......It is better to train hard and be arrogant than to train like ***** and be arrogant~~~

Tote
4/18/2004 11:01pm,
Me like see blood, kung fu bleed easy. HAAHAHAH