PDA

View Full Version : Can the chokes, strangles and joint locks in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu be done standing?

Anarchy rising
6/14/2012 5:17am,
Can the chokes, strangles and joint locks in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu be done standing? or just on the ground?

Example.....can guillotine chokes, rear naked chokes and kimuras be done standing or do they need the ground to be done?

Fuzzy
6/14/2012 5:25am,
Standing guillotine is high percentage, especially against guys who don't shoot properly.

Fig-4 armlocks aren't unheard of, especially if he's tired and leaves his arm out for you to grab hold of.

The main thing you're going to take away from BJJ or any decent grappling is not necessarily those specific techniques but how to move in a grappling situation, so what you pull off in a standing self-defense scenario may not look very technical, but you'll be able to use it to control your opponent because you know how to do things like break his balance and where to put your elbows.

battlefields
6/14/2012 5:26am,
Yes.

You should be posting in the wild now, you've been here long enough.

jnp
6/14/2012 6:37am,
All the techniques you mentioned can be performed standing, yes. However, the positions are more secure when properly executed on the ground.

I personally can get out of quite a few restraining holds when standing provided I have a little bit of slack left in the joint being locked up. Being on my feet affords me the freedom to twist out of most of them. This is not the case when I'm on the ground and properly immobilized.

Permalost
6/14/2012 11:10am,
A lot of these things can transfer from a standing version to a more secure ground version, if the person starts resisting you, and there's a good chance that they will so you might have to. The RNC can kinda be dropped into a limbo between standing and on the ground when the posture's broken.

Omega Supreme
6/14/2012 11:20am,
Not a newbietown question Dumas.

DarkPhoenix
6/14/2012 12:30pm,
I use standing chokes and armbars while doing judo randori.