PDA

View Full Version : Black Belt Magazine

Pages : [1] 2 3

paddy82
6/09/2012 11:01am,
Do any of you chaps form across the pond (Americans and them from north of there lol) have many dealings with black belt magazine, is it worth reading/subscribing to?, also are there any other just martial art magazines ie; not MMA out there, preferably Japanese martial arts over others, but owts better than nowt as we say.

Holy Moment
6/09/2012 12:50pm,
BB magazine is mostly crap, in my opinion. They actually let their advertisers write their articles for them, which is even more infuriating than it sounds because the mag is about 80% advertising to start off with. Once in a blue moon you'll find a decent article, but it's not worth a subscription.

It might be worth looking up some older issues if you're into the history, because BB used to be good from what I've heard. Check out Google Archives.

mike321
6/09/2012 12:56pm,
Journal of Asian Martial Arts. Online magazine, might be what your looking for.

hungryjoe
6/09/2012 1:48pm,

^^^^^^^

Very good but pricy.

BB Magazine is good for house training puppies and lining the bottom of bird cages. Many of those appearing in Bullshido's fraud forum have also made appearances in BB Magazine. Some, many times over.

Doesn't mean you can't get good information from any given issue, but you'll need to wade through crap to find the occasional nugget.

paddy82
6/09/2012 3:22pm,
Thanks guys ill take a look at the journal anyone else got any ideas

slamdunc
6/09/2012 4:23pm,
BB magazine is mostly crap, in my opinion. They actually let their advertisers write their articles for them, which is even more infuriating than it sounds because the mag is about 80% advertising to start off with.
This is very true. I know one obscure school with nothing going on. The so-called master bought a full page ad and SHAZAM, he was a featured artist. His article and photos appeared one page before his ad.

mike321 is correct, Journal of Asian Martial Arts is more informative and much more objective.

Tameshiwhaty?
6/09/2012 5:18pm,
Yeah old BB was great all kinds of great articles I lucked out and found a bunch at The good will. A good mag at least for Karate in Masters Mag the articles are nice and there aren't vary many adds and the ones that are there don't take up 75% of the book. Some one also told me that shotokan Mag is cool.

Holy Moment
6/09/2012 5:27pm,
Many of those appearing in Bullshido's fraud forum have also made appearances in BB Magazine. Some, many times over.

Ah, yes. I love BB's policy of sticking with proven frauds through thick and thin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Lp7TQDVMI

bassai
6/10/2012 9:19am,
Some one also told me that shotokan Mag is cool.

Shotokan magazine is a bit dry for me , too much theorising on how to deliver the "perfect" gyaku zuki.

Matt Phillips
6/10/2012 9:34am,
Next issue is to be the last from what I hear.

Tameshiwhaty?
6/11/2012 7:22am,
Shotokan magazine is a bit dry for me , too much theorising on how to deliver the "perfect" gyaku zuki.
I haven't read it yet thanks for the info.

Permalost
6/11/2012 11:27am,
Black Belt magazine is annoying to read even the cover of. Here's some random awful titles off the top of my head that are almost surely in the archives somewhere:

NINJA VS MUAY THAI: secret ninja low kicks to dominate and destroy!

Street Samurai! How to use iaido techniques for self defense

The KARAMBIT: every issue we print an article where we introduce it!

Barry Cuda: RBSD's most hilariously-named self-proclaimed tough guy!

Point Sparring: Good for fighting, or THE BEST for fighting?

Musings: old Bill Wallace era curmudgeons complain about kids these days

patfromlogan
6/11/2012 10:52pm,
culled from my youth
http://books.google.com/books?id=wtsDAAAAMBAJ

Oh my fucking god, some of these old UFC articles are hilarious.

"How to Defeat a Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Attack: 'Sprawling' Technique Works Like a Charm"

http://books.google.com/books?id=xM8DAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_summary_r&cad=0_0#PPA5,M1

goodlun
6/12/2012 3:17am,
culled from my youth
http://books.google.com/books?id=wtsDAAAAMBAJ

After looking at the table of contents sadly that is most likely the most realistic article in that particular issue.

DerAuslander
6/12/2012 11:05am,
So....none of you guys are gonna read my article?

slamdunc
6/12/2012 11:16am,
So....none of you guys are gonna read my article?
Is it in between the ad for your school or martial arts supply store? If not, I probably missed it.