PDA

View Full Version : Shopping around at the moment...

Kwizatz
5/29/2012 5:52am,
Hi all,

My first post here...

Anyway my story is that I recently gave up smoking after about 15 years and was looking to take up an MA again to have some regular training and try and get a bit fitter, etc

Did some Judo and Kung Fu when i was much younger.
And surprisingly it was the Kung Fu where we never sparred, etc that helped me most whenever I got picked on or involved in fights afterwards, mainly though because the Judo place i went to, I never really learned anything. Older kids who were green or blue belts basically just took pleasure in blocking all my attempted "osoto gari"s and then dumping me on my ass - nobody ever explained why mine weren't working, so as a result it was mostly just an exercise in getting to use break falls!

Anyway, I've been shopping around lately - I'd read all the stories about Bujinkan, but still signed up for a beginners course, just to see for myself what it was like really. I learned the famous lunge punch already! :D Seems like an ok bunch of guys though and quite a few girls in the class as well!

Anyway, got an interesting place quite close to me that offers BJJ/Kickboxing/Circuit training, etc so I might try the beginners course in BJJ there for a bit.

Seems I am gravitating towards with the letters B and J involved, not sure what that says though :)

I am mid-to-late 30s now though, so it's not like I will be looking at trying to get into the UFC or anything, so I am not necessarily looking for the most effective art, just the one I most enjoy, with an interesting teacher and an ok bunch of other people training.

Anyway, I have lots of choices available, everything from Aikido to Iaido to TKD and lots in between - I've deliberately listed some Bullshido favourites there! :D

I'll let you know what I eventually decide!

SteveM
5/29/2012 7:14am,
Welcome Kwizatz!

Since you already have the Kung Fu Chop and Judi Chop down, it does make sense to master the Ninjer Chop and have the full trifecta in your arsenal.

Seriously though, since you said you were looking for what's most interesting to you, you are going to have to shop around. Let us know what you find!

Kwizatz
5/31/2012 3:43pm,
Welcome Kwizatz!

Since you already have the Kung Fu Chop and Judi Chop down, it does make sense to master the Ninjer Chop and have the full trifecta in your arsenal.

Well I did already learn something of a Ninjer chop - it was actually part of the Lunge Punch kata!

So off I went tonight to a class in BJJ, a little disappointed to see they dont have a chop as well!! Then I could have had 4 different ones to use :D Honestly I don't know how this BJJ got so popular without a chop in its arsenal!!! It didn't even seem to have any proper stances that I could tell anyway :)

Anyway, overall I was pretty impressed with the setup and the class - got more of a workout in a 1 hour lesson there than I did in 3x2 hours lessons of the Bujinkan.

So I guess BJJ is winning at this stage, got another beginner's lesson next Tuesday

PizDoff
6/01/2012 1:57pm,
Welcome to the site mate, hope your training will go well and congrats on stopping smoking!

Where abouts are you? Maybe a member could recommend a school.