PDA

View Full Version : Looking for advice on styles and schools/gyms in Lubbock, TX area

GibsonSG
5/14/2012 3:21pm,
A bit of background on me:

I live in Lubbock, TX... I currently have zero experience with any form of martial art/fighting style. I have a CCW license, and carry everywhere I go. I'm 31 years old, and currently not in the best physical shape, but I'm working on that. I am about 50 pounds overweight and have recently begun dieting and exercising in and effort to drop the pounds and get healthy. I have never been involved in a physical fight of any type in my life, and don't expect I ever will be, I just want to be prepared.... I have a very slow temper, it takes a lot to really make me angry.

When I was younger, I always wanted to learn some form of martial art, but never did. Now that I'm working on getting myself healthy, I have decided once I drop some weight and am ready, I want to start training. From looking at what is available in my area, and trying to separate the good places from the bad, it appears that my options are:

Lubbock Boxing Club
Pittman's Academy BJJ
United Martial Arts

(Can't post links yet, but I found these just by googling "Lubbock Martial Arts" if anyone wants to check out the websites).

As I mentioned earlier, I have a license and conceal carry a gun... so in a life/death situation that's always going to be my go to. What I'm looking for is something that I can fall back on to protect myself if for whatever reason the gun is not an option. I'm not going to go looking for street fights, I'm after a purely self defense option, whatever I can use to neutralize a threat and bug out of the situation. So based on the links I posted above from what I believe to be the best schools in my area it appears I can choose from BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai, Kenpo, Sanshou, and from United Martial Arts an MMA program that offers a combination of Boxing/BJJ/Muay Thai/Chinese Quick Wrestling/Sanshou.

I know from reading here that Pittman is the real deal, and seems to be respected. I am not entirely sure of the others however. If anybody has any experiences with these other places I would like to hear about them... or if anyone can suggest anything that I have missed.

If you were me, with a clean slate, what would you choose to focus on at first and what would you move into later with the sole focus being to survive on the street?

omoplatypus
5/14/2012 3:39pm,
Usually united martial arts are tkd/krotty places that are fun for kids.

I would say try boxing first. Its fun, good exercise, and applicable for self defense.

http://www.imgur.com/h3MGR.jpg

Diesel_tke
5/14/2012 3:39pm,
Do you have any type of pre-existing conditions/ailments? If not, BJJ may be good for you. Personally, I would go with Muay Thai or Boxing. I've got knee and shoulder issues which forced me out of BJJ, so striking is what I do that keeps me healthy and happy. But it usually depends on what you enjoy. Do something that you find fun, rather than just what someone else will tell you is the most effective.

You will continue to train and get more out of it, if you enjoy what you are doing. So try a couple different ones out. I would do BJJ, Boxing, MT and then pick the one that was funnest.

GibsonSG
5/14/2012 3:51pm,
Usually united martial arts are tkd/krotty places that are fun for kids.

I would say try boxing first. Its fun, good exercise, and applicable for self defense.

I don't think that's the case for this particular UMA, granted you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but supposedly their BJJ instructor Chris Virgil is a black belt under Royce Gracie (who coincidentally is putting on a seminar at this school on June 9th). But it seems that rest of their instructors are primarily Sanshou focused. The head coach is Yi-Yuan Lee, seven time national champion and two time international champion and head coach for Team U.S.A. in 2007, 2010, 2011 for the Wushu Championships.

GibsonSG
5/14/2012 3:53pm,
Do you have any type of pre-existing conditions/ailments? If not, BJJ may be good for you. Personally, I would go with Muay Thai or Boxing. I've got knee and shoulder issues which forced me out of BJJ, so striking is what I do that keeps me healthy and happy. But it usually depends on what you enjoy. Do something that you find fun, rather than just what someone else will tell you is the most effective.

You will continue to train and get more out of it, if you enjoy what you are doing. So try a couple different ones out. I would do BJJ, Boxing, MT and then pick the one that was funnest.

Well, my knees aren't the best... many years of playing catcher on baseball teams, but nothing debilitating. I would imagine dropping all my extra weight will help that out quite a bit as well.

gregaquaman
5/14/2012 5:14pm,
well i can post links.
http://www.umatc.net/
United martial arts. Which seems to be the discussion.

If you are out of Shape. (fat) you may have more knee problems than you neccesarily need. getting in shape may fix some issues.

And just because I needed a look at what sanshou looks like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcnT3Mx-ZTU

Diesel_tke
5/14/2012 5:20pm,
Yeah, Sanshou is really good, it is just hard to find good instructors. If he is a legit teacher, then that would be a lot of fun!

Rivington
5/14/2012 7:04pm,
When you have good choices like boxing, BJJ, and sanshou, you may as well visit each school just to see if you like the atmosphere and personalities of the people you'll be training with. The best school in the world will still suck if you don't like it.

Ming Loyalist
5/14/2012 7:42pm,
When you have good choices like boxing, BJJ, and sanshou, you may as well visit each school just to see if you like the atmosphere and personalities of the people you'll be training with. The best school in the world will still suck if you don't like it.

agreed, you have excellent choices available. try all three, and judo as well, if there's some around you (there probably is.)

DKJr
5/14/2012 7:45pm,
I know from reading here that Pittman is the real deal, and seems to be respected. I am not entirely sure of the others however. If anybody has any experiences with these other places I would like to hear about them... or if anyone can suggest anything that I have missed.

If you were me, with a clean slate, what would you choose to focus on at first and what would you move into later with the sole focus being to survive on the street?

Ehhhh Real deal as in he knows BJJ, yes. Respected? ...That's debatable.

I'd go with Sanda.

GibsonSG
5/15/2012 8:25am,
Thanks everyone for the responses... I will definitely check everything out... just wanted to make sure none of these instructors were obvious frauds. I think at this point I'm leaning towards Sanshou... looks like it's got a little bit of everything mixed in, and Yi-Yuan Lee seems to be a legit instructor... I guess I'll find out.