PDA

View Full Version : Am I being a jerk?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mobiledevice
5/03/2012 3:58pm,
I need to know if I'm being a jerk.

1) I have been going to multiple gyms in the area asking to sit in on their Muay Thai classes to evaluate their programs. I am telling them (honestly) that I'm seriously looking for a facility that I'll stick with for around 2 years. (Until I move out of state or country.)

2) I've made it clear to each place that I pretty much can't commit to any continuous schedule (because of the wedding) until after I'm back from my honeymoon in late June. So I won't be signing any contracts or paying for a whole month (for May).

3) Is is wrong for me to just continually switch gyms for the next 4 weeks while paying nothing at any given gym?

4) Is there a better way to evaluate gyms than to call and ask to sit in then show up and talk to the staff and students before and after classes?

Permalost
5/03/2012 4:35pm,
I think its good that you're upfront about what you're looking for and how long you intend to stay etc. 4 weeks seems like a bit much, but perhaps not. Do you already have a solid muay thai background? Cause if you know what you're doing and the coach doesn't have to spend all their time correcting what you're doing, you might just blend in and its no skin off their nose to have another body.

Tramirezmma
5/03/2012 4:52pm,
I need to know if I'm being a jerk.

1) I have been going to multiple gyms in the area asking to sit in on their Muay Thai classes to evaluate their programs. I am telling them (honestly) that I'm seriously looking for a facility that I'll stick with for around 2 years. (Until I move out of state or country.)

2) I've made it clear to each place that I pretty much can't commit to any continuous schedule (because of the wedding) until after I'm back from my honeymoon in late June. So I won't be signing any contracts or paying for a whole month (for May).

3) Is is wrong for me to just continually switch gyms for the next 4 weeks while paying nothing at any given gym?

4) Is there a better way to evaluate gyms than to call and ask to sit in then show up and talk to the staff and students before and after classes?

IMO, that one kind of makes you a jerk, at least it does if you would have picked a gym already were it not for your desire to score free training.

mobiledevice
5/03/2012 5:13pm,
IMO, that one kind of makes you a jerk, at least it does if you would have picked a gym already were it not for your desire to score free training.

I have no plans to pick a gym until (1) I'm back from my honeymoon and (2) I find one that suits my needs, isn't shady with their contracts, and fits my budget.

The reason for this is that I don't want to start paying for May and June if I'm going to be way too busy for most of May and out of the country for half of June. But when I come back, I want to be able to get started right away.

ChenPengFi
5/03/2012 5:26pm,
The gyms don't have a drop in, or daily rate?
Many places allow you to pay by the class, with no commitment.

mobiledevice
5/03/2012 5:29pm,
I think its good that you're upfront about what you're looking for and how long you intend to stay etc. 4 weeks seems like a bit much, but perhaps not. Do you already have a solid muay thai background? Cause if you know what you're doing and the coach doesn't have to spend all their time correcting what you're doing, you might just blend in and its no skin off their nose to have another body.

I have about a year (+) of Muay Thai background. So, I'm not a complete noob, but a lot of that time has been informal 1 on 1 training with friends. And I know that the version of Muay Thai I was taught is not the ring-based stuff that is taught in most gyms.

Azatdawn
5/03/2012 5:36pm,
Do you really only sit in or do you actually participate in the training? If you only watch, you're a little less of a jerk. If you actually get physically active, yep, jerk. I'm not talking about two or three introductory classes, but switching every four weeks seems jerky to me.

If you don't want to commit now, wait till after your honeymoon to start looking for gyms seriously.

I'm not even going to comment on that informal non-ring style stuff with friends thing.

Rivington
5/03/2012 5:51pm,
If you wonder whether or not you're being a jerk, you probably know the answer already.

mobiledevice
5/03/2012 5:58pm,
Do you really only sit in or do you actually participate in the training? If you only watch, you're a little less of a jerk. If you actually get physically active, yep, jerk. I'm not talking about two or three introductory classes, but switching every four weeks seems jerky to me.

I participate when I go. I don't just watch. I've only been to 2 gyms so far though.

One was just too crowded. I went for their 30-day free trial and then decided that struggling for mat space during class was a deal breaker for me. I stopped going after 4 - 5 classes.

I went to another one on Tuesday of this week. It was a very small group, but they aren't part of any Thai boxing associations. I left feeling like it was a good workout, but it raised a lot of questions about how far I can go with this school.

If you don't want to commit now, wait till after your honeymoon to start looking for gyms seriously.

If I wait until after the honeymoon, then I will need to start my research much later. I would like to do this research now and be able to act on the information when I get back. I don't understand why it is a bad idea to do this research before I go away. I'd be doing the same thing when I get back.

I'm not even going to comment on that informal non-ring style stuff with friends thing.

The training was informal, not the style. I was taught by a guy who had 16 years of experience in Muay Thai, Eskrima/Silat, and BJJ (amateur fights and everything). We spent a lot of time doing pad work and partner drills practicing Muay Thai. This friend's former instructor was partners with Frank Cucci when they were in the military together. The two of them developed the fighting style that Cucci later went on to teach the US Navy Seals.

So there was legitimate lineage there, and the training was intense and deeply technical.

mobiledevice
5/03/2012 6:00pm,
If you wonder whether or not you're being a jerk, you probably know the answer already.

Everything I've read about choosing a gym says to try out several and see what fits you best. Your comment doesn't help me understand the intricacies and subtleties of martial arts studio etiquette when doing this.

It is Fake
5/03/2012 6:01pm,
f Muay Thai I was taught is not the ring-based stuff that is taught in most gyms.

Wow, I just Wow. You know what? Wait until you get back because I agree with what Riv just posted. You know the answer, you were hoping you might get a more positive response.

In reference to what you just posted, that is a cop out. Go read your various posts again and tell me how it doesn't sound like you are trying to get free training for zero pay.

Yes, that's exactly how it reads to me.

mobiledevice
5/03/2012 6:05pm,
The gyms don't have a drop in, or daily rate?
Many places allow you to pay by the class, with no commitment.

Neither of the places I've been to have offered me rates like this. I've asked about paying month-to-month or for half a month, and both places pretty much discouraged me from doing so.

One place actually said that I could just keep showing up whenever I wanted until I decide to sign up. But I didn't want to take advantage of their generosity if I wasn't sure I wanted to sign up at their gym.

mobiledevice
5/03/2012 6:12pm,
Wow, I just Wow. You know what? Wait until you get back because I agree with what Riv just posted. You know the answer, you were hoping you might get a more positive response.

Sigh, I probably should have guessed that this forum would be extremely cynical of this question.

In reference to what you just posted, that is a cop out. Go read your various posts again and tell me how it doesn't sound like you are trying to get free training for zero pay.

Yes, that's exactly how it reads to me.

It's a cop out to say that I want to do my research now so that I can start when I get back? I'm not sure I understand what you're reacting to.

It is Fake
5/03/2012 6:32pm,
Sigh, I probably should have guessed that this forum would be extremely cynical of this question. No, it has everything to do with your responses and your OP.

It's a cop out to say that I want to do my research now so that I can start when I get back? I'm not sure I understand what you're reacting to.No, if you said I'm doing free trials and committing after my wedding there would've been a different response. It sounds like you want to train for four weeks or more and not pay anything under the guise of "evaluating" a gym.

Tramirezmma
5/03/2012 6:50pm,
What IIF said. You appear to be taking advantage of several gyms offering free introductory classes in order to score free training.

Here's a good test to see if you're a jerk: Would you be willing to tell the instructors up front that you are planning on taking only free classes until you return, assuming you even return to that particular gym? Are you aware people teaching Muay Thai have to make a living too?

dflanmod
5/03/2012 6:58pm,
If you take advantage of free/intro lessons past the point in which you've determined that a place is or isn't a fit for you then you are a jerk.

The last time I was looking for a BJJ place I would watch a couple of classes, participate in a free one and then I would pay for a "trial" month if the first two steps made the place look promising.

If you are learning something then you should pay for it regardless of weather you think you'll stick around long term. Every place I have checked out would let me pay for a month, albeit at a higher rate than a contract plan.