PDA

View Full Version : Bujinkan showed up in my city [YES HAHA]

Pages : [1] 2

Syphilis
4/29/2012 10:06pm,
Hey guys,

Just the other day as me and my fellow martial arts enthusiast were driving back from our introductory Tai Chi* class that was just set up at this new place in town, we notice another new place in town.

TAIGUN it says on the door and I immediately hop out of the car (I ride bitch seat) and read the flyer posted on the wall:

Bunjinkan
Budo taijitsu
Bikenjutsu

Well, I immediately turned around to my buddy with a big grin and head back to tell him not to worry its only ninja's, (we're training/teaching at Ground Zero, a BJJ/MMA gym just two blocks down), when one of the ninja's pops their head out of the door and is like : I didn't scare ya did I? She didn't.

Regardless, I checked out their website and they have the usual claims and bullshit; dropping the Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi lineage etc.

Now my question is, since they're obviously bullshit, how do we deal with the Bujinkan ninja's these days?

TL;dr:

http://www.taigundojo.com/index.html

opened up in my town.

*Yang style Chen form taught by scholarly hippy, actually pretty good for weight/balance distribution and not advertised as self defense which is the main problem I see with these Bujinkaners

Jim_Jude
4/29/2012 10:32pm,
Hey guys,

Just the other day as me and my fellow martial arts enthusiast were driving back from our introductory Tai Chi* class that was just set up at this new place in town, we notice another new place in town.

TAIGUN it says on the door and I immediately hop out of the car (I ride bitch seat) and read the flyer posted on the wall:

Bunjinkan
Budo taijitsu
Bikenjutsu

Well, I immediately turned around to my buddy with a big grin and head back to tell him not to worry its only ninja's, (we're training/teaching at Ground Zero, a BJJ/MMA gym just two blocks down), when one of the ninja's pops their head out of the door and is like : I didn't scare ya did I? She didn't.

Regardless, I checked out their website and they have the usual claims and bullshit; dropping the Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi lineage etc.

Now my question is, since they're obviously bullshit, how do we deal with the Bujinkan ninja's these days?

TL;dr:

http://www.taigundojo.com/index.html

opened up in my town.

*Yang style Chen form taught by scholarly hippy, actually pretty good for weight/balance distribution and not advertised as self defense which is the main problem I see with these Bujinkaners

You can go do an intro class at the Booj school & choke out the instructor. Or you can just ignore them. Or maybe your MMA/BJJ instructor can organize a friendly get-together, you can all dress up in your gis or whatever & take them cakes & pies. Or you can send them flowers, from "An Admirer". Just some suggestions.

csharp.negative
4/29/2012 10:37pm,
Ignore them and keep training?

battlefields
4/29/2012 10:41pm,
Give them a hug. They need hugs.

BJMills
4/29/2012 10:41pm,

That seems most prudent.

slamdunc
4/29/2012 11:01pm,
You can go do an intro class at the Booj school & choke out the instructor.
I prefer choking out the instructor, but to be able to sleep at night, I would have to go with the csharp.negative suggestion.

If they really are Ninja, you'll never see them anyway.

Kave
4/29/2012 11:10pm,
If you are planning on dojo storming, make sure you film it. There hasn't been a good gong sau video for a while.

It is Fake
4/29/2012 11:15pm,
If you are planning on dojo storming, make sure you film it. There hasn't been a good gong sau video for a while.
What? There has never been a good gong sau video posted.

csharp.negative
4/29/2012 11:18pm,
Give them a hug. They need hugs.

If you MUST bother them, please do this at least. Ninjas must live such lonely lives, what with being invisible and all.

Jim_Jude
4/29/2012 11:38pm,
I prefer choking out the instructor, but to be able to sleep at night, I would have to go with the csharp.negative suggestion.

If they really are Ninja, you'll never see them anyway.

I'll just assume that you didn't read much further than the first line of my post.

Syphilis
4/30/2012 12:32am,
well, yes leaving them alone should be good enough; I mean, it is obvious that we shouldn't be actually going there and fighting them; they're not combat sport athletes they're martial artists (lol) Especially after seeing the amount of ponytails in their group pictures.

However, they are claiming to teach realistic self defense, CQC etc that might give people a false sense of security. (We immediately say we train bjj and kickboxing and train MMA. We say its a sport (WV is shaky about MMA still) that is very effective on the street/mat/bedroom.

They also have this ridiculous only school in the area thats open all day claim, which is total BS, we've got people from 8am to 9pm every day. Can we make them retract that?

Again, I don't think Gong Sau is necessary, they serve a completely different aspect of the community, much like the actual LARPers in the park. I mostly just wanted to laugh that they finally showed up in my neck of the woods and see what I can expect from them.

Also Gong Sau seems unlikely due to this disclaimer:

Due to the type of martial arts that are taught at our dojo, a criminal background check is required. There is an additional $10.00 fee to complete the check. We hold true the teachings of our Soke, Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi, so we are not allowed to instruct anyone with a criminally-aggressive nature.

background check because our martial art is too dangerous bitchez!! Too REAL!

vaquero de las nalgas
4/30/2012 12:33am,
Hey guys,

Uh huh.

Instructor Jason has a combined total of 24 years' experience in law enforcement (10 years) and the military (14 years).
Instructor John ....is a Shodan (1st Dan black belt) in Jukendo, the Japanese military art of the bayonet. He is a 21-year US Army combat veteran who has served from 1987 - 2007.
Sounds OK, maybe more than OK.

Instructor Joe has been studying with Shihan Richard Van Donk since 1988. All of his Dan-rank tests have been held face-to-face with Shihan Van Donk, who has personally tested our instructor. He owes most of his training experience and opportunities to Shihan Van Donk. Oh dear, that is NOT good. Big big red flags.

Instructor Kayla has been studying mixed martial arts systems since 1999. She studied Wing Chun extensively, and has experience with Shaolin Five Animals.

Hmmmmmm.

However, they are claiming to teach realistic self defense, CQC etc that might give people a false sense of security.

And you care about this because.....?

Let's put it this way. Some people buy a Honda Prius. Most of them are insufferable douchebags. However, they get to work every day just like you do. Do you drive a Prius? No? You would rather be bro-tastic in a Jeep Wrangler. Either way you both get to work, and nobody really gives a **** about what you drive. Capiche?

Jim_Jude
4/30/2012 1:34am,
well, yes leaving them alone should be good enough; I mean, it is obvious that we shouldn't be actually going there and fighting them; they're not combat sport athletes they're martial artists (lol) Especially after seeing the amount of ponytails in their group pictures.

yes, the Booj is littered with seagal-esque ponytails. I remember them fondly.

However, they are claiming to teach realistic self defense, CQC etc that might give people a false sense of security. (We immediately say we train bjj and kickboxing and train MMA. We say its a sport (WV is shaky about MMA still) that is very effective on the street/mat/bedroom.Unless you're willing to do some kind of investigative expose for the local media, good luck getting that issue dealt with.

They also have this ridiculous only school in the area thats open all day claim, which is total BS, we've got people from 8am to 9pm every day. Can we make them retract that? I've seen this before, in various styles. They'll simply say,"We're referring to BJK schools in the area." & then you'll say "You're the ONLY BJK school in the area" & they'll say "huh, fancy that." & they'll never reword it to something a little less ambiguous.

Again, I don't think Gong Sau is necessary, they serve a completely different aspect of the community, much like the actual LARPers in the park. I mostly just wanted to laugh that they finally showed up in my neck of the woods and see what I can expect from them.

Also Gong Sau seems unlikely due to this disclaimer:

background check because our martial art is too dangerous bitchez!! Too REAL!that background check bit is 99% of the time bullshit, but hatsumi did say awhile back in the bujinkan rules that no criminals or those with criminal records should be training so you never know... I think that was part of the temporary banning of Mark OBrien as terrible as that was, tho I believe that decision had a lot to do with his very public critiquing of pantywaist training methods.

& RVD's not that bad, as Booj instructors go, at least compared to Kevin Millis, Kevin Schneider, & the mountain of other guys I trained with back in my ninjer days. & Richard does eskrima too which is fun.

Lindz
4/30/2012 1:48am,
& RVD's not that bad, as Booj instructors go, at least compared to Kevin Millis, Kevin Schneider, & the mountain of other guys I trained with back in my ninjer days. & Richard does eskrima too which is fun.

Isn't he the guy who would give a blackbelt to anyone who watched some of his videos? How bad are the buys you mentioned?

WoodyCorpus
4/30/2012 2:16am,
Some people buy a Honda Prius.

Toyota ... Prius.

Jim_Jude
4/30/2012 3:13am,
Isn't he the guy who would give a blackbelt to anyone who watched some of his videos?

no, you had to do a bit more than simply watch the vids, you also had to do video demos showing that you knew the materials, & I don't think that was allowed for shodan, you had to do it in person. I may be wrong about that, I never did that program so I could very well be wrong about that. however, I'm not relating his business practices to his skills in booj matters. besides, the guys who do gracie combatives are quite skilled & yet so many people are up in arms about that whole mess, right?