PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice on blocking

Pages : [1] 2

Bneterasedmynam
4/22/2012 4:32pm,
I'm looking for a little advise here on better blocking, basically I'm looking for advise on how to judge the timing and angle better. I have decent but could be better head coverage, but I'm too open to body shots. Also close in but not quite at clinch seems to throw me off on my timing. Is there any good reading material I can refer to?? I would even settle for a decent DVD or YouTube vid. Now before I get the standard response of ask your instructor, I am currently between dojos and just want to tweak my skills before I head back to training. Mostly so I don't look to much like a noob.

PlumDragon
4/22/2012 4:50pm,
Bneterasedmynam,

You cannot increase your ability to block/defend by watching a youtube video or getting pointers from people. While various systems or instructors might have different ideas on methodology or advocate differing emphasis on hand placement or whatever, the bottom line is that heightening your timing and success rate in defense only happens through repeatedly responding to a stimulus. Unfortunately, there is really no way around that...If you are without instruction, find training partner who you can work it out with.

DubhGhaill
4/22/2012 6:35pm,
Rodney King's DVDs worked wonder for me...

http://www.straightblastgym.com/videoinfo.htm#Rodney
http://www.crazymonkeydefense.com/

It is Fake
4/22/2012 6:52pm,
Title changed:
Seeking advise on blocking

P Marsh
4/23/2012 2:56am,
Rodney King's DVDs worked wonder for me...
That name... makes me not trust anything to do with not getting hit at all.

slamdunc
4/23/2012 3:18am,
Is there any good reading material I can refer to?? I would even settle for a decent DVD or YouTube vid.
You can refer to various different sources, but unless you have coaching, the references will do you little good. Even if you do have a trainer, the references are just that.

I am currently between dojos and just want to tweak my skills before I head back to training.
While you are between dojos, find a good boxing gym and trainer.

I'm looking for a little advise here on better blocking, basically I'm looking for advise on how to judge the timing and angle better. I have decent but could be better head coverage, but I'm too open to body shots. Also close in but not quite at clinch seems to throw me off on my timing.
Again, find a good boxing gym and trainer.

Diesel_tke
4/23/2012 7:41am,
What style are you training, or looking to start training? If I remember correctly you were training some sort of Karate, correct? Are you still looking for that, or changing?

Because you wouldn't want to build muscle memory that you are just going to have to unlearn when you get to the school that you are wanting to train in.

erezb
4/23/2012 8:26am,
I find it odd that you will search in books or tv a solution to a physical problem that obviously can only be solved by practice...I don't think allot of fighters got good by reading how to fight.
You can get some good ideas from youtube or books on how to train for a better defense, but otherwise it's a waste of your time.
Just get yourself into a gym, or at least find a sparring partner, put some gloves on and get busy.

Bneterasedmynam
4/23/2012 8:50am,
What style are you training, or looking to start training? If I remember correctly you were training some sort of Karate, correct? Are you still looking for that, or changing?

Because you wouldn't want to build muscle memory that you are just going to have to unlearn when you get to the school that you are wanting to train in.

Thank you for being the only one that actually understood the question I was asking lol. Yes I probably am going to stick with karate for now since I had alot of fun with it. Mostly I was just looking for reference materials on blocking and timing to see if there was a better theorem for the angles and timing of blocking.

Bneterasedmynam
4/23/2012 8:57am,
To all of you that responded with "just spar and train more", you missed the point of my question 100%. I am fully aware that sparring will refine my skill at blocking, however my question was about the base and theory of that skill itself. Which is why I was asking about reference materials on the subject, to try and find an alternative base theory to see if that clicked better for me.

Omega Supreme
4/23/2012 10:03am,
To all of you that responded with "just spar and train more", you missed the point of my question 100%. I am fully aware that sparring will refine my skill at blocking, however my question was about the base and theory of that skill itself. Which is why I was asking about reference materials on the subject, to try and find an alternative base theory to see if that clicked better for me.
Are you normally just a fucking asshole about this? If you were my student I'd give you 100 push ups just for stating this. Don't blame others for your lack of clarity. You asked the question be more specific. Now I haven't given any answer but on behalf of all those you insinuated were wrong feel free to go **** yourself.

Bneterasedmynam
4/23/2012 10:18am,
Are you normally just a fucking asshole about this? If you were my student I'd give you 100 push ups just for stating this. Don't blame others for your lack of clarity. You asked the question be more specific. Now I haven't given any answer but on behalf of all those you insinuated were wrong feel free to go **** yourself.

Ok I suppose I deserve that comment, Geesh sorry I had a bad weekend and it's effected my attitude. Yes I should have clarified better I'll work on that lol.

It is Fake
4/23/2012 10:30am,
Ok I suppose I deserve that comment, Geesh sorry I had a bad weekend and it's effected my attitude. Yes I should have clarified better I'll work on that lol.

LOL, you post like this all of the time it isn't a bad weekend.

Permalost
4/23/2012 10:31am,
To all of you that responded with "just spar and train more", you missed the point of my question 100%.
For the Nth time, Bnet is right and everyone else is wrong.

Bneterasedmynam
4/23/2012 10:39am,
For the Nth time, Bnet is right and everyone else is wrong.

Now see how easy that was?? Lol like I said I should have been more specific and less assholey. Sorry for the rant.

Diesel_tke
4/23/2012 1:03pm,
Well, I'm not too sure about Karate blocks and stuff like that because I only did Karate for a little while when I was a kid. But, I find that foot work is one of the best things that you can work on by yourself. FMA footwork has been great for my stand up game. Unfortunately for you, the FMA community holds these type of things behind lock and key and doesn't like to give them out for free.

I have some books on the subject, but honestly I couldn't make heads or tails of it until I was shown in person. But I have seen some good Dog Brothers video that had awesome footwork in it. You may want to check some of those out.

The footwork would probably be about the only thing you can do because everything else: slip drills, perrying, and stuff like that is only trained well with a partner.