PDA

View Full Version : Hello, I'm here to fight

memduhg
4/14/2012 10:16am,
I've finally gotten around to introducing myself. My name is memduh, I'm 16 years old. I used to do TKD a few years ago and I've been taking lessons on and off again, but the dojo is dirty, small and full of little children. The sparring is no contact and only lasts fire about three minutes in a ninety minute lesson. I've been thinking of switching styles but there is nothing close by but the tkd place. There are a few boxing and kickboxing places near my high school but my parents won't let me do boxing our kickboxing because a distant relative suffered a head injury while kickboxing. I would really love to learn something that is trained alive but since I live here in Cekmekoy, istanbul I don't have a lot of options. Do any of you know of any place I could train in a decent MA close to Cekmekoy?

Polish beast
4/15/2012 2:32am,
I've finally gotten around to introducing myself. My name is memduh, I'm 16 years old. I used to do TKD a few years ago and I've been taking lessons on and off again, but the dojo is dirty, small and full of little children. The sparring is no contact and only lasts fire about three minutes in a ninety minute lesson. I've been thinking of switching styles but there is nothing close by but the tkd place. There are a few boxing and kickboxing places near my high school but my parents won't let me do boxing our kickboxing because a distant relative suffered a head injury while kickboxing. I would really love to learn something that is trained alive but since I live here in Cekmekoy, istanbul I don't have a lot of options. Do any of you know of any place I could train in a decent MA close to Cekmekoy?
"Alright, dad, I really want to do Kickboxing - and I know what you're going to say, but I promise not to fight. I only want to know how to protect myself in case someone attacks me.'

Remember, I'm a dumbass.

ashkelon
4/15/2012 4:07am,
Everybody's recommending judo these days, so do judo ;)
It has better reputation with parents, which absolutely boggles me to be honest, but it's good stuff. You're in Turkey, don't you have a wrestling tradition? skip the oil though ;)
Welcome, love Istanbul btw, great place, cool people!

erezb
4/15/2012 4:11am,
You guys in turkey have allot of wrestling! don't you have some wrestling near by? if not, and there is no MA try Olympic weight lifting if you have it near by (also something you guys have in abundance). I am pretty sure that if you train with an Olympic weight lifting team you are not going to be someone to mess with, and you are going to have allot of strong friends. Do you have Israeli Krav Maga there?

judoist
4/15/2012 4:59am,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg-1qW2xAU4

Just kidding, welcome to the forums, memduhg.

If you're in Turkey, be sure to check out freestyle wrestling. But considering that you're a serious world powerhouse for that, the guys your age have probably been training for 10 years, if not more. Judo or Kyokushin Karate (if you're lucky to have a dojo close, I'm not) are also good choices, especially since Kyokushin is full contact.

And be sure to enjoy the kebabs after practice. ;-)

memduhg
4/15/2012 7:42am,
Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it.

I think there is a krav maga place near my school, and they were supposed to start teaching brazilian jujitsu too, but I'll have to double check them first, because there is way too much overpriced d34dly here.

As for the wrestling, I should look into that, we don't have as much of the oily kind as you guys would expect(hope?) But it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent gym.

ermghoti
4/15/2012 9:18am,
Stick to wrestling, it will probably be the best training available near you, as mentioned. You can start punching people after you move out, and you'll have a basis of alive training to build on.

memduhg
4/15/2012 12:08pm,
Alright, you guys have me convinced. I've found a good place which is also coincidentally close to my school. Its too bad I have my standardized exams at the end of the next year. That means zero time for MA after around september

memduhg
4/19/2012 1:13pm,
I found a judo place! I'm gonna randori till I'm purple.
I have only about four months to do it though, I'm thinking of going as often as I can and going to random competitions just to get used to being thrown around on a competition level. What do you guys think?
Just to establish a few things:
1. We don't like rudy, as far as I can see
2. Aikido doesn't work (probably a nobrainer but I've never really tried sparring an aikidoka)
3. Omega eats misbehaving chunners
Am I correct on all accounts?

ashkelon
4/19/2012 6:41pm,
you forgot the ninja's, they'll be back, but the chun is strong.

UNC
4/20/2012 1:19am,
Awesome , I am Turkish(had to say for some reason) and also going to throw out that there is a BJJ place somewhere in that area.

memduhg
4/20/2012 7:43am,
Do you know of any san da places around üsküdar?

ashkelon
4/21/2012 4:11am,
no idea, I don't even know most clubs over here, these things tend to suck at promo :)
Check with your national wushu federation http://www.twf.gov.tr/.