PDA

View Full Version : Classic Boxing

sevynn
4/14/2012 7:25am,
New to the site Howdy....wondering if anyone here has any information regarding classic boxing stances and methodologies....when i say classic i'm talkin Gentleman Jim....ive had svevere interest in reviving the form and some sucess in piecing certain portion together from old video of old fights and wing chun manuals ( fencing like footwork precision centerline punches etc.) but i would really be interested in others views on the subject

DdlR
4/14/2012 12:22pm,
If you do a search on this forum for the terms "LPR boxing" ("London Prize Ring"), "pugilism" etc. you'll find a lot of useful info.

A small number of instructors and groups around the world have been reviving classic boxing for about ten years now, working from detailed instruction manuals produced by boxers and boxing coaches during the 18th and 19th centuries. One of the most prominent (Kirk Lawson) has re-published many of those manuals and is a regular poster on this forum.

Eddie Hardon
4/14/2012 4:09pm,
Enter "Scientific Boxing" which was the "how-to" manual by Gentleman Jim Corbett. It should pop up with a link to lulu provided by The Great Kirk Lawson. He very kindly copied it and created a PDF so people like me and you could at last get sight of it.

He also did Philadelphia Jack O'Brien and more. I think he was also working on Frank Moran (he of the famous "Mary-Ann" - his KO punch).

Then you can thank him as well.:-)

lordbd
4/25/2012 9:45pm,
Let us not forget Jack Dempsey's book on championship boxing! I haven't read the whole thing in detail but I think Kirk Lawson provided the copy that I have possibly. He has a great chapter on training the drop-step for adding power to punches. I had no idea there was a book by Jack O'Brien. Thanks for the info, this thread is great!

Permalost
4/25/2012 11:30pm,
Check the Western martial arts subforum. Look for Kirk Lawson's threads if you want to track down some great old boxing manuals- he has them available for free in PDF format from Lulu publishing.