PDA

View Full Version : haven't posted here in years, so i'll re-introduce myself

No7oriouSx
3/28/2012 12:23am,
hello.

the semester is almost over, and ill have a lot of time off before school starts again. i want to spend my time off by starting a martial art. but i don't know where to start, and this is the part where some of you are experts because i know this section of the forum is full of 'which martial art should i take"-type questions.

i want to keep an open mind about suggestions. here are some of my preferences (i'll provide more if needed, but this is all i can think of at this moment):

- i prefer not to engage in a sport-oriented martial art like BJJ for example, because i'm interested in doing something in pure self-defense.
- i would like something realistic and to the point.
- i don't mind if it's a martial art that emphasizes mental discipline as much as it emphasizes the technique. what i mean by this is that krav maga, for example, doesn't really concern itself with a code or philosophy of honor or anything like that. what i'm saying is that i'm open to a martial art that does concern itself with that code (such as kung fu), but if it doesn't, then that's cool too.

in the past, i've looked into krav maga as my ultimate choice. if i could choose to train in any martial art, it would be krav maga. i can't do this though because my city doesn't have any schools. the secondary option i have to krav maga is ninjutsu and i really like that as well, almost as much as krav maga. however, i can't take that option because the school is way too expensive for me (personally, i can't afford $200 a month, although the instruction is great).

the reason i include the above information is because i want to cooperate as much as possible and just make it easier for the people that take the time to make suggestions. if there's anything i missed, please ask and i'll provide any other relevant information you may need.

other than that, what could you suggest and why?

thanks for your time, really.

JohnKenner
3/28/2012 12:39am,
- i prefer not to engage in a sport-oriented martial art like BJJ for example, because i'm interested in doing something in pure self-defense.
- i would like something realistic and to the point.

The fact that there aren't any krav schools in your area isn't a bad thing... I like Krav. Hell, I'm working on getting certified as an instructor. But Krav is the Tae Kwon Do of the RBSD set. It's popularity is it's undoing. There are a lot of people out there selling Krav, and the result is poor quality control. So buyer beware on that one.

I see you call out BJJ as a sport oriented martial art. I might suggest a paradigm shift for you. Yes, BJJ is a sport oriented martial art - but it is a sport that serves as excellent training for self defense. There are few arts where you can train at full power against fully resisting opponents all the time. Think about that for a moment. Every move you can execute, you know you can execute, because you've tested yourself under pressure.

So my short list:
If you can find options you can afford: Muay Thai (little fluff, and lots of sparring), BJJ (for the reasons listed above), SAMBO (Russian man-love at its best), Kyokushin Karate (or any style that employs knockdown rules)
Great deals for a great skill set: Boxing (find a real boxing gym, not one of those fitness places), Judo (for the same reasons at BJJ)

SteveM
3/28/2012 10:20am,
Welcome back! If you post your general location I think you might get some specific suggestions.

patfromlogan
3/28/2012 11:15am,
Move to Honolulu and train under Prof. Clarence "Luna" Emperado at Kajukenbo Self Defense Intitute. All sd, "taught" by rather live attack defense practice, improvisational utilization of the principles (JJ, Judo, Karate, Boxing, Chuan Fa, Escrima, Lua, Kenpo). It's only a couple nights a week so you'll have plenty of time for cross training.

ZenMMA
3/28/2012 11:34am,
I think I know just what you are looking for...

Have you ever heard of RD (Reality Defence) ?

http://www.realitydefense.com

Joking aside...

Is there any specific reason that you believe Boxing/Kickboxing/Muay Thai/judo etc.. could not be used in a self defence situation?

If someone was attacking me in the street I would be pretty confident in defending myself using techniques I had learnt in Muay Thai.

RWaggs
3/28/2012 11:38am,
hello.
the secondary option i have to krav maga is ninjutsu and i really like that as well, almost as much as krav maga. however, i can't take that option because the school is way too expensive for me (personally, i can't afford $200 a month, although the instruction is great).

C'mon guys...you know what this is.

Soldiermedic
3/28/2012 11:41am,
C'mon guys...you know what this is.

A poorly executed troll/april fools post?

Omega Supreme
3/28/2012 11:44am,
Okay, so you're a retarded, **** nut lying piece of ****. You either think we're stupid, you're stupid, or you're trolling. Either way, from all who want to say this but aren't allowed feel free to go **** yourself.

patfromlogan
3/28/2012 12:07pm,
Okay, so you're a retarded, **** nut lying piece of ****. You either think we're stupid, you're stupid, or you're trolling. Either way, from all who want to say this but aren't allowed feel free to go **** yourself.Hmmm, fooled again?

JohnKenner
3/28/2012 12:37pm,
Okay, so you're a retarded, **** nut lying piece of ****. You either think we're stupid, you're stupid, or you're trolling. Either way, from all who want to say this but aren't allowed feel free to go **** yourself.

I finally will know I'm not a n00b when I quit responding to trolls seriously.

ermghoti
3/29/2012 4:17pm,
I finally will know I'm not a n00b when I quit responding to trolls seriously.

That's two "I will finally know I'm not a n00b..." posts today, right? Is this going to evolve into a Lloyd Bridges-esque "...when I stop sniffing glue" line?

JohnKenner
3/29/2012 5:15pm,
That's two "I will finally know I'm not a n00b..." posts today, right? Is this going to evolve into a Lloyd Bridges-esque "...when I stop sniffing glue" line?

Sorry, I picked the wrong day to quit taking amphetamines.

On the serious side, it seems like at any point I take a discussion seriously, they turn out to be a troll.

Omega Supreme
3/29/2012 11:43pm,
I should give you guys a lesson in troll hunting 101.