PDA

View Full Version : Marketing Value of Social Network Accounts

Pages : [1] 2

ZenMMA
3/27/2012 11:35am,
If you had a Facebook account or twitter account that had thousands of links/users/friends then does that account have marketing value?
In the way that youtube videos have marketing potential hence the option to allow paid for ads.

If I could create a twitter account and get 100,000 people following it, do you think a business would pay to have their product tweeted about?

Omega Supreme
3/27/2012 11:46am,
Too bad you're not a supporting member. We have a business section that just covered this.

ZenMMA
3/27/2012 12:00pm,
Yes that would have bee interesting.

I read recently about a case where a employee worked for a electronics company and one of his duties was to blog. The employee was using a company account to do this blogging.
He soon left the company and transferred his Friends/followers to his new personal account.

The business took him to court and I believe it is the first time that a Follower has been legally attributed a financial value. I cant remember too well, but I think the outcome was that he got to keep the list of followers but had to pay the business per follower.

TheMightyMcClaw
3/27/2012 3:44pm,
It helps, but online presence is one of those things that's very easily over-estimated. Most of my clothing sales still come from people seeing my stuff in person at artisan markets or conventions and deciding that they need to buy some of it.

Southpaw
3/27/2012 4:05pm,
If you had a Facebook account or twitter account that had thousands of links/users/friends then does that account have marketing value?
In the way that youtube videos have marketing potential hence the option to allow paid for ads.
Yes

If I could create a twitter account and get 100,000 people following it, do you think a business would pay to have their product tweeted about?
Not unless your audience is a REALLY good match for their product...and even then probably not. But really this question is moot because there is no way in hell you can get that many followers on your Twitter account.

Rivington
3/27/2012 4:14pm,
If you got 100K followers on twitters and then started tweeting about businesses on a for-hire basis, you wouldn't have 100K followers for long.

atomicpoet
3/27/2012 4:51pm,
Nope. Amount of followers means diddley-squat. Social engagement, on the other hand, means something.

What's the point of having hundreds of thousands of followers if none of them are engaging with you? You can have more social influence having 100 followers than hundreds of thousands. Influence, and therefore brand awareness, depends more on quality of followers than quantity of followers.

And just so you know, there are many social network profiles that will only follow you if you're following them. In fact, there's automated software that will do this for you. IMO, that software is a waste of money.

ZenMMA
3/27/2012 11:30pm,
I had an idea, I was thinking of calling it "Where am I London?" basically this would be based on Twitter and Facebook.
At Random times a picture is posted of me or a friend of mine standing in a Location in Central London, the Idea is that the first person to find the individual and greet them gets 10, at which point a photo of the winner and the cash is posted on-line.
The hope would be that by pushing the page in as many London related groups/pages as possible ad pushing it by word of mouth enough followers are gained in order to have some leverage to find sponsors for additional prizes in turn giving people more incentive to follow. The End game would be when you have enough active followers that you can charge people to be a sponsor and that charge would cover expenses etc...

DKJr
3/28/2012 12:06am,
Nope. Amount of followers means diddley-squat. Social engagement, on the other hand, means something.

What's the point of having hundreds of thousands of followers if none of them are engaging with you? You can have more social influence having 100 followers than hundreds of thousands. Influence, and therefore brand awareness, depends more on quality of followers than quantity of followers.

And just so you know, there are many social network profiles that will only follow you if you're following them. In fact, there's automated software that will do this for you. IMO, that software is a waste of money.

Ding! There's a funnel. It's Awareness, Affinity, Engagement, Consumption, Loyalty, then. Advocacy. Most companies don't want just awareness. They want the engagement and for their product and marketing campaigns to be viral (see Old Spice, Dos XX's, Kony 2012).

What brands are looking for is digital properties that have a greater consumer engagement levels and better affinity transfer (think I like Bullshido and Bullshido is sponsored by Umbrella Corp, I like Umbrella Corp).

You're idea is possible, but I'd express doubt unless you had some sort of entertaining content on the website other than "Hey find this Brit and get some cash"

DKJr
3/28/2012 12:09am,
It helps, but online presence is one of those things that's very easily over-estimated. Most of my clothing sales still come from people seeing my stuff in person at artisan markets or conventions and deciding that they need to buy some of it.

I'd say that's because your consumer base can't find your website. Nobody knows to look for your stuff. How did people knew they wanted Apple products in early 2000s until Apple told them they did.

How are you advertising btw?

TaeBo_Master
3/28/2012 2:54am,
Internet presence only matters if you have another presence. Sadly, if you're a celebrity–or even a public joke like Snooki (Snookie? I don't care)–then having an internet footprint can add a substantial amount of value, assuming we're measuring in dollars rather than talent.

But if internet presence is all you've got, you have to be the absolute king of the internetz, or it doesn't actually matter. South Park did a whole episode on this.

Gary Busey
4/09/2012 12:24am,
Yes that would have bee interesting.

I read recently about a case where a employee worked for a electronics company and one of his duties was to blog. The employee was using a company account to do this blogging.
He soon left the company and transferred his Friends/followers to his new personal account.

The business took him to court and I believe it is the first time that a Follower has been legally attributed a financial value. I cant remember too well, but I think the outcome was that he got to keep the list of followers but had to pay the business per follower.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/26/technology/lawsuit-may-determine-who-owns-a-twitter-account.html

That is the case you are talking about. It is a bit more complex but you got the basics down. It begs the question can we quantify influence in a dollar amount, can we quantify a twitter follower, and finally can we determine who actually owns a social media account?

This case begs questions that I do not think our courts have the ability to correctly answer right now.

ZenMMA
5/09/2012 4:34am,
After doing some research on thiis company

www.Klout.com

I figured a return to this thread was required.

So, this company measures your online "Influence" through your facebook and twitter accounts and gives you a rating, that rating can then translate into "Perks" which appear to be freebies, preferential treatment and the chance to review new products etc..

I wondered why I had seen so mant dumbass pictures etc on fb asking people to "Like" and "Share".

I personally think its an interesting concept, that being said, any algorithm can be manipulated and exploited.

ChenPengFi
5/09/2012 5:05am,
You're thinking backwards.
From what i've read of what you post here, you're never getting 100k followers.

Otoh, i work with a young lady who is an elite athlete, has a PhD, and has a very engaging blog which has thousands of followers/week.
Oh yeah, she's hot and single too.
She used her large and engaging web presence, in addition to her athletic and overall awesomeness to land several sweet sponsorships, including a shoe deal, a bike sponsor, free nutritional products and more.

Even with all of this flowing her way, i assure you she is not looking to retire from her web presence/income.

ZenMMA
5/09/2012 5:23am,
You're thinking backwards.
From what i've read of what you post here, you're never getting 100k followers.

Coming from you....that doesn't mean a lot.

I don't have a twitter account and certainly didn't state an intention to gain 100k followers, my post was on observation that sites such as klout are measuring "online Influence", which is relevant to the topic of this thread.

Otoh, i work with a young lady who is an elite athlete, has a PhD, and has a very engaging blog which has thousands of followers/week.
Oh yeah, she's hot and single too.
She used her large and engaging web presence, in addition to her athletic and overall awesomeness to land several sweet sponsorships, including a shoe deal, a bike sponsor, free nutritional products and more.

That is the kind of input that I was looking for.
That sounds similar to the case of a lady called "Zuzzana" she along with her then Canadian bf created a site called "Bodyrock.tv" it originally started out as just Youtube subscriptions then hit facebook, twitter etc...now it has a following of thousands daily.

Considering the site is now offering to pay new hosts to appear in the videos I assume they are making enough money to use the site as their sole source of income, at worst it is certainly paying some bills.

Even with all of this flowing her way, i assure you she is not looking to retire from her web presence/income.

And nor would I have expected her too.

ChenPengFi
5/09/2012 5:40am,
Coming from you....that doesn't mean a lot.
Perhaps, but it's the truth.

I don't have a twitter account and certainly didn't state an intention to gain 100k followers, my post was on observation that sites such as klout are measuring "online Influence", which is relevant to the topic of this thread.

I was responding to this quote of yours:

If I could create a twitter account and get 100,000 people following it, ...

My response was there's no way you could.
My response seems on point while your subsequent one is further evidence that you are retarded.

That is the kind of input that I was looking for.
That sounds similar to the case of a lady called "Zuzzana" she along with her then Canadian bf created a site called "Bodyrock.tv" it originally started out as just Youtube subscriptions then hit facebook, twitter etc...now it has a following of thousands daily.

Considering the site is now offering to pay new hosts to appear in the videos I assume they are making enough money to use the site as their sole source of income, at worst it is certainly paying some bills.

..and that is totally irrelevant to the point i am making.
You don't have the appeal, savvy, skills, charisma...
Need i go on?

And nor would I have expected her too.

Yet again the point is lost on you.
What do YOU bring to the table that would interest anyone in the slightest, much less (your number of) 100k?
My example is clearly interesting and reaping some benefit.