PDA

View Full Version : Sport vs. Traditional on Avatar

Pages : [1] 2

Demon Eyes
3/24/2012 11:50pm,
Thought you guys may find interest on this. The creators of "Avatar: The Last Airbender" are soon premiering their new show "The Legend of Korra" on Nickolodean. Where as Last Airbender relied heavily on Kung Fu styles the new series is adapting the "MMA" style as well as tricking into the world (as previously discussed on a prior thread.)

Well, due to the fan support on FB, Twitter, and the like; the creators decided to release the first two episodes online where as the show will premier on April 14th.

Watched it and found that the 2nd episode centered around the Sport vs Traditional debate. (2nd episode begins around 23:09 of the second video)

http://www.korranation.com/

I just find it interesting that the show delved into the debate at all, going so far as to make their own sport in a show that has fans ranging from children to adults. I was wondering how you guys felt about that?

Especially since most children and adults are oblivious to such a debate going on in the first place, and this cartoon showing a glimpse of what goes on today. Art reflecting reality and all.

Personally, I like it. When I have kids who I plan to enroll into martial arts, it's a nice segue into the "Sports Vs Traditional" debate to have with the them. Not to mention knowing that one of my favorite shows reflecting MA is in tune with the MA community at some level.

W. Rabbit
3/25/2012 12:38am,
"Pro Bending" = MMA? Really? Seems like a stretch.

And her training still seems highly "traditional" (her master is Aang's son)...and is still....kung fu and bending, but in a sports arena?

Is this a real thread?

Demon Eyes
3/25/2012 1:18am,
No, not saying MMA. They just created a sport to bring in the "Sports vs. Traditional" debate to a cartoon that is being marketed towards children. Not to mention touching on the different stances and movement. Does it completely reflect what is going on in today's MA community? Hell no. It's just a nice change of pace and initiative to show some form of the debate to a younger crowd.

Not so much the presentation astonishes me (after all it still is a weird element, chakra, chi thing going on.) As a martial artist I just appreciate the initiative to bring such a topic to light to the younger crowd.

gregaquaman
3/25/2012 4:23am,
I dont have the internet for the long term video watching but they were talking MMA from the outset.
http://www.tapology.com/forum/open/227624-Mac_Danzig_is_an_MMA_Consultant_in_Avatar__Legend_

Demon Eyes
3/25/2012 7:31am,
Huh, did not know the anti-bending organization would use MMA based tactics. I thought it was more for the arena game they had in the show. That makes it a bit more interesting. Also kind of says MMA based striking is equal in strength to Kung Fu forms which manipulate the four elements. Only way for pure form Kung Fu to stand a chance I guess.

W. Rabbit
3/25/2012 4:31pm,
Ah...the "MMA" anti-benders have their own forms!! Nice, and why not, imho.

Ah...chi blocking. So the anti-benders basically use their own magic to thwart bending...the elemental manipulation doesn't work anymore, so confrontations need to become 100% physical...or put another way, more like the real world.

I think I get the premise now.

Only way for pure form Kung Fu to stand a chance I guess.

I think (a guess of course) they are going to somehow work into the series that Korra needs to actually learn how to fight with her hands as opposed to bending, and so she'll end up training in something similar to San Da or MT (the series still has an obvious Asian-ish setting) and/or also learning the "anti-bender" forms of fighting, which will look like "MMA". Know thy enemy, and all that.

Less magic and more real physical violence? Kids will love it, and my guess is they're just trying to re-market the brand to the now-older Avatar crowd, less interested in elemental magic and more interested in ass-kicking.

Demon Eyes
3/25/2012 5:38pm,
It would definitely be a nice change of pace. I'm really looking forward to seeing what they come up with. I recall the MMA demo showing Double Leg takedown, as well as actual close quarters striking. Should be good.

IMightBeWrong
3/25/2012 6:41pm,
I watched it and enjoyed it. I was pretty young when the old Avatar came out so I can't help nerding out over a new show in the same setting. As to how much of an MMA type style we'll see, I guess we'll find out when more episodes air. So far it doesn't seem like "Sport" is being made out into something bad, just different. That's nice to see from a show that's centered around mysticism.

TheMightyMcClaw
3/25/2012 8:36pm,
I watched it and enjoyed it. I was pretty young when the old Avatar came out so I can't help nerding out over a new show in the same setting. As to how much of an MMA type style we'll see, I guess we'll find out when more episodes air. So far it doesn't seem like "Sport" is being made out into something bad, just different. That's nice to see from a show that's centered around mysticism.
If you haven't watched the original series, watch "The Fortuneteller" and "The Painted Lady." They do an awesome, awesome job of introducing the notion of scientific skepticism into a show about a monk who can kung fu the wind.

IMightBeWrong
3/25/2012 9:58pm,
I watched the entire original one as a kid and as a young adult. I loved it. Obviously I knew it was bullcrap, but it's a cartoon show. The whole world is fictional, so I don't see a reason to poke holes in the plot.

TheMightyMcClaw
3/26/2012 1:39am,
So I just actually watched the first two episodes, and first off:
Holy ****, this show is yamazing.
Second, the second episode - that which deals with the issues in question deals with them, really, really well. Amongst other things, it touches on:
-How competition leads to evolution in technique
-The benefits of cross training
-The importance of pedagogical method in martial arts
-The frustration of being hindered by sometimes arbitrary rules
God damn, I am so excited for more of this show.

Demon Eyes
3/26/2012 2:40am,
Good to know I'm not the only one.

csharp.negative
3/26/2012 6:45pm,
The most important point made in the second episode was "The role of the Avatar is not all about fighting." as much as this show is about good old fashioned ass whoopings, it's also extreme nerdiness and storylines.

Ignoring my little rabbit trail, the Sifu they have on staff who choreographs the fights by teaching the animators the techniques so they know how to draw the characters correctly has a blog that expounds on this topic a little further. That being said, I really look forward to how this show continues this sub-plot of traditional vs. modern styles.

TheMightyMcClaw
3/26/2012 7:05pm,
The most important point made in the second episode was "The role of the Avatar is not all about fighting." as much as this show is about good old fashioned ass whoopings, it's also extreme nerdiness and storylines.

Ignoring my little rabbit trail, the Sifu they have on staff who choreographs the fights by teaching the animators the techniques so they know how to draw the characters correctly has a blog that expounds on this topic a little further. That being said, I really look forward to how this show continues this sub-plot of traditional vs. modern styles.

Oooh. Do you have a link to said blog?

P Marsh
3/26/2012 8:55pm,
I heard that the series was going to be doing something with MMA in its popularity sometime last year but there were no real details as to why. Kinda hoped they'd make earthbending the MMA one since it never had the artsy flow of the other 3, kinda disappointed now.

W. Rabbit
3/26/2012 11:46pm,
I heard that the series was going to be doing something with MMA in its popularity sometime last year but there were no real details as to why. Kinda hoped they'd make earthbending the MMA one since it never had the artsy flow of the other 3, kinda disappointed now.

I dig it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSVEQRlxtVg