PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little guidance.

Imperative
3/21/2012 10:08pm,
Hey guys,
Background: I'm a young guy, about 160lbs to 6 feet tall. I'm looking to be a professional student for the next long period of my life.

What I'm looking for: I'm interested in martial arts, especially in the capacity of self defense.I would love to learn the skill aspect, but I'm also looking for a good training regimen. I'd like to bulk up some. I've looked at Muay Thai, and at Karate, but I'm unsure of good gyms near me. I live slightly north of Chicago, if anyone's around and would like to share. No experience, but I'm ready and willing to learn.

Out of my training, I'd like to get a solid confidence boost as to my ability to help myself out in a tight spot. However, I'm not looking for fistfights, so aggressiveness isn't a necessity. I'd really like to work on muscle mass, so something with fairly rigorous training and a good motivation to help me along the way. I'm really receptive to good coaches, and I'm a quick learner. Again, recommendations of style are great, and if anyone would like to give a shoutout to their favorite gym near me (again, about 30 minutes drive north of Chicago), I'd love to know about it. My budget as far as training should stay less than $40 a week. However, if it's really le creme de la crop, I'd be willing to go a bit higher.
Thanks for any help!
-Glenn

patfromlogan
3/26/2012 11:23pm,
I'd check out Westwood in Lake Forrest, it looks legit. Whiteshark (I think) is a member of BS and at Shidokan http://www.shidokan.com/ down in the city and it's, I hear, great.

Are you near Lake Forrest? There's Krav, but it doesn't have the best rep.

Any decent art will help you get into shape - be sure to read the stickies up at the top about finding a good school.

Good luck

Azatdawn
3/27/2012 5:03am,
Well, if you're looking for a striking art that can be useful in fisticuffs muay thai is not a bad choice. In general, you should look at arts that train with a certain "aliveness", which basically means not only compliant drills, but also a good portion of sparring.

Concerning which gym to pick - many offer free trial classes, so the best way to go about it is going to a class and seeing for yourself how you like the atmosphere, the training, etc. Again, see and ask if they spar. Don't worry too much if they don't let you spar your very first training though, many advocate the idea to give you something of a beginner skill set before letting you spar.

Are grappling arts completely out of the question for you, by the way?

Oh, and one more thing: if you want to build up muscle, lifting weights seems to be almost a necessity.

Gary Busey
3/30/2012 9:39pm,
30 mins north of Chicago? Where at? I am on the nw side of the city.

Check out New Breed in Niles they have a Muay Thai program. I just had my first BJJ class there it was fun. Watched the guys doing Muay Thai and it seemed like it was a pretty damn good work out.

Imperative
4/02/2012 8:51pm,
I am very close to Lake Forest. I'll check out Westwood, thanks much!

Are grappling arts completely out of the question for you, by the way?
Probably, without a good argument for them

Oh, and one more thing: if you want to build up muscle, lifting weights seems to be almost a necessity.
I'm starting this already, I'm talking to a friend of mine who used to work as a trainer.

Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate the help