PDA

View Full Version : looking for hung gar training in Bronx or Westchester NY

chaossentry
3/17/2012 9:32pm,
Hello to any who can assist me. I have 4 years of private closed door training in southern shaolin kung-fu. I am looking to specialize in Hung Gar. I live in the Yonkers area and pretty much most Kung-fu schools for whatever reason only seem to have schools in the deepest parts of manhattan where no car can go,or long island,brooklyn which are area's that are an hour and a half drive and that's not counting traffic. In this era of high price gasoline that is not feasible. The only other schools are in NJ which would be another hour drive plus toll for the bridge.

If there is anyone here who know's of any hung gar teachers either officially or unofficially teaching in the Bronx,Yonkers,or any of westchester area. It would be most appreciated if I could be given some kind of contact information. thank you.

Ming Loyalist
3/17/2012 10:55pm,
drive your car to the subway, park, ride the subway to manhattan and train at ny hung ga.

problem solved.

Omega Supreme
3/17/2012 10:56pm,
I.
Will
Contact
Ming
Loyalist
He...
Should
be
here
aaaaaaany
second now....

chaossentry
3/17/2012 11:41pm,
drive your car to the subway, park, ride the subway to manhattan and train at ny hung ga.

problem solved.

I already checked other options. the closest train stations to me are in woodlawn in the bronx which is the begining of the 4 train. Their is no place to park for free around that area and the trip itself to get to the 4 train to NY Hung Ga is an Hour and 30 minutes to go from the 4 train and transfer to the F train. I can't afford the parking fee's plus the weekly metrocard it would cost on top of the class fee's.

Ming Loyalist
3/17/2012 11:52pm,
I already checked other options. the closest train stations to me are in woodlawn in the bronx which is the begining of the 4 train. Their is no place to park for free around that area and the trip itself to get to the 4 train to NY Hung Ga is an Hour and 30 minutes to go from the 4 train and transfer to the F train. I can't afford the parking fee's plus the weekly metrocard it would cost on top of the class fee's.

i'm being totally honest and not trying to be a jerk, but you want hung ga training, and in my opinion you will not find better hung ga training anywhere in the US than at NYHG. if it were me, i would find a way to make it work. save up for a few months to cover the parking and metrocard, get creative at making it work.

are you a student? they may still offer student rates.
are you willing to clean the kwoon in exchange for a discount on tuition?

i've had to deal with 90+ minute trips to training, 4 days a week, being broke because of training, and all that, but it was important enough for me to make it work.

W. Rabbit
3/18/2012 12:03am,
The only other schools are in NJ which would be another hour drive plus toll for the bridge.

Not quite that far.

The closest NJ branch to you is the American HQ of Yee's Hung Ga Association in Clifton NJ, which is only about 25 miles from Yonkers...about 40m or so depending on traffic, and you would have to take the bridge.

Still not nearly as far as some people travel for training they really want.

Ming's advice was spot on.

Matt Phillips
3/18/2012 11:43am,
Not trying to be a jerk either, but if you are put off by the obstacle of public transit, you're going to find Hung Gar difficult.

W. Rabbit
3/18/2012 2:33pm,
And of course if you ever find yourself nearer to central NJ, you could check out my kwoon (a bit far from Yonkers, @ 50 miles/1 hour).