PDA

View Full Version : How do you get power from your lead foot?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Batshatcrazy
3/16/2012 10:36pm,
Everything I throw with my lead foot sucks and feels kinda half ass and weak.
It also feels extremely short and off balancing.

kendamu
3/16/2012 11:07pm,
Roundkick -- Switch kick or step into it with the other leg before throwing the kick.

Sidekick -- Forward momentum or chambering the leg

Front Snap Kick -- Chambering and hitting the right spot (like the chin or groin, depending on the situation)

Push kick -- Chambering and forward momentum

Batshatcrazy
3/16/2012 11:17pm,
interesting, skips given me a good idea on a side popping kick that should be a good thrust. Anyone got any ideas on some good striking surfaces on the leg/ foot and how to use em?

Kung-fu Jesus
3/16/2012 11:31pm,
Sidekick -- Forward momentum or chambering the leg

Dont forget to pivot the foot thats not kicking. It should be just about perpendicular to the kicking foot, if you were to put both on the floor.

@ batshatcrazy - search before posting question-asking threads. I'm too lazy to do it for you, and I can almost guarantee that this has been covered before. I'm also too nice to say Search Function N00B! Others here aren't.

Tex
3/17/2012 12:34am,
Everything I throw with my lead foot sucks and feels kinda half ass and weak.
It also feels extremely short and off balancing.

Man seriously... This post = weak IMO. You need to be asking these questions in a striking class instead of online. I don't even know just WTF you are trying to do, really. Kick, punch, what? Splain.

Diesel_tke
3/17/2012 7:39am,
Man seriously... This post = weak IMO. You need to be asking these questions in a striking class instead of online. I don't even know just WTF you are trying to do, really. Kick, punch, what? Splain.

You guys got it all wrong. He said a "lead" foot!!!

Lead as in a soft, malleable, ductile, bluish-white, dense metallic element.

That's why he couldn't find it in the search function. I don't know a lot of people who have a lead foot. That' why it is off balance, how heavy is that thing any way?

Moldy
3/17/2012 11:15am,
I had this problem too, specifically with the roundhouse kick. What I learned to do was to step up with your rear foot before you throw the kick for some momentum and distance. What I like to do now is a jab to set it up, then while I jab I bring my rear foot to my front foot, then kick and pivot at the same time. It's been working pretty consistently in sparring for me, to the head or the body. Practicing on a heavy bag also helps.

Batshatcrazy
3/17/2012 7:30pm,
Actually I was practicing on a bag today when it dawned on me... the reason why my lead kicks sucked is because they were tooled towards hitting a bag and not an actual person. From now on, now that I know what a proper impact feels like I'm gonna be doing shadow boxing/kicking.

jedtex88
3/18/2012 4:03am,
Umm...are you attending some sort of class right now? Or are you just trying the youtube thing?

Diesel_tke
3/18/2012 7:30am,
Actually I was practicing on a bag today when it dawned on me... the reason why my lead kicks sucked is because they were tooled towards hitting a bag and not an actual person. From now on, now that I know what a proper impact feels like I'm gonna be doing shadow boxing/kicking.

Sparring tends to show your holes and allow you to close them.

Lampa
3/18/2012 10:50am,

Wait wait wait. Wait.

So you decided the most common training tool in all of striking was what was fucking you up and you need to stop hitting a target, having nothing to do with the fact that you don't know what you're doing?

Batshatcrazy
3/18/2012 11:51am,
Not saying bags arn't useful, but at some point you don't need training wheels anymore. Bags are good for learning how to hit but I got that down. Now its just making me stiff and unresponsive.

Too much standing, not enough movement to throw and control a live kick.

W. Rabbit
3/18/2012 2:40pm,
http://i.imgur.com/kJv02.jpg

W. Rabbit
3/18/2012 2:43pm,
Not saying bags arn't useful, but at some point you don't need training wheels anymore.

You're not very useful.

alex
3/18/2012 2:43pm,
Not saying bags arn't useful, but at some point you don't need training wheels anymore. Bags are good for learning how to hit but I got that down. Now its just making me stiff and unresponsive.

Too much standing, not enough movement to throw and control a live kick.

you're wrong. um, dont know what else to say about this really.

patfromlogan
3/18/2012 3:17pm,
you're wrong. um, dont know what else to say about this really.Ditto. Does anyone have that heavy bag video that Ronin posted saved? I had it on my old computer. That was a good illustration. For me, bag work has been ESSENTIAL. Conditioning, timing, power, and I don't bother doing much stretching as doing high kicks keeps me kicking high.

OP, train more, write less.