PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Ireland

Teratos
3/13/2012 1:03pm,
Hi all,

Longtime lurker thinking of getting slightly more active here.

I'm 25 years old, started martial arts with 6 years of Tang Soo Do in my teens. This I promptly discarded when I found Muay Thai in college. Dabbled in that for a few years but made little progression until last year where I started training 4 days a week.

Also took a 10 week intro course to MMA, twice a week, where I learned more than in all my previous training combined. They taught a striking curriculum based heavily on 'Crazy Monkey' boxing which really helped me with the sparring (at least on a comfort level), and introduced me to BJJ. Big believer in BJJ now, even though I'm not training it currently, and my technical knowledge of it is little above beginner.

Went to Phuket Top Team over the summer to train both MMA and Muay Thai and got completely schooled by the guys there. So far since this academic year started I've been unable to train (only school within 50 miles is a ninjitsu school, not quite to my tastes) but am hoping to take up BJJ big time when I move back from placement.

Anyway, I'll stop here. Hope everyone's well and that I actually can contribute something interesting eventually.

All the best,
Teratos.

PS- had a brief dabble with posting over at Martial Talk in the past. Crazy place. Hope to fit in better here.

cualltaigh
3/13/2012 4:32pm,
G'day Teratos, welcome to the site!

I'm sure with all the lurking you've done you already know to read the stickies before posting and to wear your thick skin at all times! Do that and I think you'll fit in well here, have fun.

Whereabouts in Ireland are you from?

Teratos
3/13/2012 5:03pm,
Cheers man! :)

I'm actually from Cork, but have been moving around the South a good bit over the last few years. With a name like Cualltaigh I'm guessing you have Irish roots somewhere?

Also notice you're from Oz: there's a decent chance I'll be following a couple of my friends over there in the coming years. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for those 'drop bears' I keep hearing about. :P

cualltaigh
3/13/2012 5:36pm,
Cheers man! :)

I'm actually from Cork, but have been moving around the South a good bit over the last few years. With a name like Cualltaigh I'm guessing you have Irish roots somewhere?

Also notice you're from Oz: there's a decent chance I'll be following a couple of my friends over there in the coming years. Will have to keep my eyes peeled for those 'drop bears' I keep hearing about. :P

Absolutely, it's quite an Aussie pastime to cling to our Irish roots! Two of my cousins (from here) are currently over in Limerick for their Nan's 100th (other side of the family), though my roots go back more to County Clare. Did a work secondment in Galway for half a year and have hosted a few friends from Donegal out here in the sunshine state.

If you do end up coming out this way let us know, I'll surely be able to point you to all the 'right' places ;-). And don't worry too much about the drop bears, they tend to take more interest in female Swedish backpackers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULEQpUY_crc

No Weak Links
3/14/2012 11:55pm,
Hello from the flatlands of Illinois!

New member here also. Got a Tad bit of Irish left in me that ain't been bred out yet - and still some relatives around castleblayney, so of course I had to say Hello when I saw the title. :)

Good luck with everything!

Cheers!