PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a first martial art

Pages : [1] 2

codvx87
3/08/2012 1:18pm,
All we have in my town is silat/tkd ( here: songmartialarts .com)

so I was thinking one of those.. I'm looking for something more aggressive or selfdef oriented

I was also looking at this on a local classified and it struck my interest as im really interested in krav maga..

Mu Li`s Martial Arts Academy
Come and train at Mu Li's Martial arts Academy. With 2X Canadian Champion Malinda Nazvesky. And
study the art of Nazveyogashi a mixed martial
art the works on Karate, Judo, Taekwondo,
Grappling, Krav Maga, Self Defense and much
more. Come and train with us. Mu Li's Martial
Arts Academy. Where Tradition meets Evolution.

COAST: $50 a month
WHEN: Tuesdays and Thursdays
TIME: Kids 6-7
Adults 7-8
More info please call 251-2166
More programs to come...
Can't wait to see you there..

Does this look legit? Nothing comes up in google when I type "Nazveyogashi"... any tips would be helpful, thanks!

Chili Pepper
3/08/2012 1:29pm,
I would suggest "Nazveyogashi" translates to something like "the martial art of instructor Malinda Nasvesky"

I assume this is the same Malinda Nasvesky (and truly, how many can there be?) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYahzJ2QLXQ

Judging by the video, she doesn't look like her stuff is self-defence oriented.

ermghoti
3/08/2012 1:30pm,
Does this look legit?

No.

Nothing comes up in google when I type "Nazveyogashi"...

That sounds like a raging clue.

No boxing? Judo? Rugby?

Pharabus
3/08/2012 1:32pm,
There is a Thunder Bay Judo club, thats just from Google I have no specific knowledge of it

codvx87
3/08/2012 1:34pm,
yes, although not a convenient location in town for me, there is judo. Is this more practical in real scenario then say...silat or tkd? (not trying to start a war..)

Soldiermedic
3/08/2012 1:36pm,
All we have in my town is silat/tkd ( here: songmartialarts .com)

so I was thinking one of those.. I'm looking for something more aggressive or selfdef oriented

I was also looking at this on a local classified and it struck my interest as im really interested in krav maga..

Does this look legit? Nothing comes up in google when I type "Nazveyogashi"... any tips would be helpful, thanks!

Well the reason why it doesn't come up when you google it is because it is obviously a self created style using this woman's last name as a basis for it. I would call and ask about her training, lineage and background, but imho I think its a black hole and larpish.

A quick google search of Thunder Bay doesn't come up with too much, but maybe you could try here: http://tvma.moonfruit.com/

It doesn't seem that great, but as you don't have many options open to you, it at least has a fight team, so they are training "alive".

Also how old are you? And why would you feel attracted to krav maga as a first choice for a martial art?

Lastly, welcome to Bullshido.

Edit: After searching a little bit, I found these guys: http://thunderbayjudo.webs.com/

Its a nonprofit, so its cheap, and its judo, so its good. Do this.

Soldiermedic
3/08/2012 1:39pm,
yes, although not a convenient location in town for me, there is judo. Is this more practical in real scenario then say...silat or tkd? (not trying to start a war..)

Honestly neither. You'd be better off training for track and running away from your assailants.

Pharabus
3/08/2012 1:41pm,

Judo is fairly well regulated and has a better reputation for training alive than most silat and TKD (note most, not all) the suggestion by soldiermedic25 looks ok at a glance too, may be worth trying them out

codvx87
3/08/2012 1:41pm,
Also how old are you? And why would you feel attracted to krav maga as a first choice for a martial art?

Lastly, welcome to Bullshido.

Edit: After searching a little bit, I found these guys:thunderbayjudo.webs .com

Its a nonprofit, so its cheap, and its judo, so its good. Do this.

thanks for the help!
I am 21, and I just watched alot of disarming techniques with krav maga and that sort of thing interests me as there's alot of people getting stabbed in my city.

Kharon
3/08/2012 1:43pm,
If you have a itch to get a blackbelt in marching band color guard you should definitely look her up. Self defence not so much.

Soldiermedic
3/08/2012 1:44pm,
thanks for the help!
I am 21, and I just watched alot of disarming techniques with krav maga and that sort of thing interests me as there's alot of people getting stabbed in my city.

The best way to deal with someone with a knife is to be far, far away from it. Running is always your best option, regardless of your level of martial arts training.

codvx87
3/08/2012 1:47pm,
The best way to deal with someone with a knife is to be far, far away from it. Running is always your best option, regardless of your level of martial arts training.
of course, however the training would still have merit

Lindz
3/08/2012 1:50pm,

Rugby involves lots of running. It also teaches tackle, over hand right and "I've got 15 big aggressive mates that like to fight" techniques.

looks like there's a boxing club too
http://thunderbay.foundlocally.com/sports/spo-boxing.htm

Soldiermedic
3/08/2012 1:56pm,
of course, however the training would still have merit

But thats the problem with a lot of self defense styles that focus on "the streetz".

If you get taught one thing and it is unabashedly wrong, and is a very low percentage technique in regards to you safely and successfully disarming an attacker without harming yourself, then you go into a situation with false knowledge and false confidence.

If a school trains there self defense techniques with "aliveness" meaning with resistance, and not in preplanned scenarios, then it might be a little better. If they have a shocknife, be sure they do not use it just for the lulz.

9 times of out 10 though, any sport that keeps you in shape and agile will be your best bet

Rivington
3/08/2012 2:06pm,
One thing about knives: you often don't know you're in a knife fight until there's a knife in you. A lot of the knife disarm tactics one sees start from a knife being brandished in a threatening matter instead of simply being pushed into one's belly by surprise.

Being in good shape, and clever enough to run, are the best bets as said by others.

Pharabus
3/08/2012 2:15pm,
One thing about knives: you often don't know you're in a knife fight until there's a knife in you. A lot of the knife disarm tactics one sees start from a knife being brandished in a threatening matter instead of simply being pushed into one's belly by surprise.

Being in good shape, and clever enough to run, are the best bets as said by others.

I actually only know 2 people who have been stabbed in a fight, neither knew they had been stabbed (or that a knife was actually in the fight) until the fight was over, luckily neither was a serious wound but both required stitches

P