PDA

View Full Version : My Hapkido School

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Ignorami
3/03/2012 4:22am,
That's right!

Your art/class has been criticised over a few threads in relation pretty specifically to what you claimed it was capable of in terms of combat effectiveness. Your belief in that has been challenged over and over again.

It's one element of what you do though. The only problem with it not making you some kind of combat-ready war-machine was mainly that you seemed to think it could.

Think about everything you get at the class.
Is it fun?
Is it bringing you and your kids together?
Is it getting you fitter?
Does it make you happy?
Is it social?

Im sure you can think of other things.

If the things that it can provide are worth it, stick with it. Get everything you want out of it. If self defence in a violent altercation is more important than those things, then consider switching schools. Otherwise, you seem to love what you do. Do that for what it is.

I've been doing martial arts for 20+ years. various styles, all because I enjoy it. End result... I'm still **** at fighting.

It is Fake
3/03/2012 9:12am,
Don't make a list. If you like what you do then have fun. The problem was you were TELLING everyone how effective and humble (no not the same as great) it was and people were like "nope, got get real world experience."

Vorpal
3/03/2012 9:54am,
The thing about Hapkido is that it actually has so may techniques in it is is possible to distill it down into something useful. If you don't waste time on the single point of contact "aikidoish" throws and concentrate on multiple point of contact judo stlye throws, engage in hard sparring with takedowns and ground submission and lose the TKD style tippy tap sparring you would have something somewhat viable. I know there are HKD schools that train that way, but they appear to be few and far between.

lionknight
3/03/2012 11:21am,
Don't make a list. If you like what you do then have fun. The problem was you were TELLING everyone how effective and humble (no not the same as great) it was and people were like "nope, got get real world experience."
QFT.

^^This.

HapkiUSA
3/03/2012 11:58am,
Thanks everyone. You guys kick ass.

theTRASHman
3/10/2012 1:48am,
From what I've seen, HKD is one of those styles that has a huge amount of variation between dojangs. Some are offer an excellent, well rounded curriculum where you learn how to fight in a TMA setting. Others are, well, you know. I'm not one of those guys who thinks the only way to learn self-defense is to train for full contact competition (start flaming me now), even though I myself do this. You just need to be realistic about your goals, and if HKD can offer you a path to them. Yes, even wrist lock moves can have their place, but exclusively doing compliant drills is generally a road to nowhere.