PDA

View Full Version : Should I touch this man?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Rivington
2/11/2012 11:04pm,
I'm a semi-regular at the push-hands club in my neighborhood park. The facilitator runs it via meetup.com, and we are in the Bay Area, so of course we get a fair number of lookie-loos and weirdos. I like it though; there are some serious people with good experience—and not just in taiji or other CMAs—and almost everyone is friendly. (The unfriendlies don't stay for long, honestly.) And it's always good to play with strangers and people outside of one's own school.

Anyway, a new person signed up, and he has a LOT of meetup interests.

A lot. I'm actually cutting out about 30 percent of his total interests:

Chi Kung, Chi Gong/ Chi Kung/ Qi Gong or Qigong, Qigong Exercise

Fairly typical for taiji, but then:

Kabbalah, Hebrew Astrology, Mysticism, Earth-Based Spirituality, Shamanic Healing, Peru, Shamanic Journeying,

Then he recovers a bit:

Knife Fighting, Arnis, Close Quarter Combat, Kali, Knife Defense, Think Tank, Self-Defense, Kenpo Karate, Outdoor Fitness, Outdoor Recreation, Exercise and Fun, Filipino Martial Arts, Filipino Stick Fighting, Escrima, Stick Fighting,

And THEN:

Remote Viewing, Self Empowerment & Exploration, Psychic Development and Mediumship Training, Personal Growth thru Spirituality and Meditation, Psychics, Ghosts Hunters, Ghost Tracking, Paranormal, spirits and ghosts

This next group of interests might even be worse:

Dating Advice and Personal Development Coaching, Flirting, Pick-Up Artist, Open Relationships, white tantra, Kundalini Yoga, Sensuality and Intimacy, Spiritual Tantra, Kriya Yoga, Sensual and Erotic Education, What is Tantra? Tantric Sex and Lovemaking?, Nude Sun Bathing, Naturism, Nudist Lifestyle, Energy Healers, Rebirthing, Breathwork, Consciousness, Alternative Health, Tantric, Law of Attraction, Sexual healing, Newly Single

Then there's some stuff about going out salsa dancing, which is fine if you want to meet new people (better than "sensual and erotic education" I bet) and THEN:

chakras, Shamanism, Spiritual Growth and Transformation, Polyamory, Kundalini, Taoism, Sacred Ceremony and Ritual, Sacred Tantra, red tantra, Sacred Sexuality,

Then a few okay ones:

Daoist Meditation, Baguazhang, Internal Martial Arts, Bagua, Kung Fu Gongfu Internal Martial Arts Qi Gong, Tai Chi Push Hands, Tai Chi for Health & Longevity, Spirituality, Holistic Health, Qi Gong, Sports & Recreation, Mixed Martial Arts, Jujitsu, Aikido, Boxing, Jeet Kune Do, Self Defense, Tai Chi, Weight Loss, Martial Arts

So, is this guy a supermega-weirdo, just excited to click on buttons, or so busy he won't even show up? And like the subject asks, should I actually touch him if he does?

Naszir
2/11/2012 11:42pm,
Oddly enough, this sounds like a friend of Selfcritical's and mine. He may just like a lot of things and be an ok guy. Or he could be a bunny boiler. Best of luck, amigo.

Rivington
2/11/2012 11:49pm,
Did you friend grow a silly beard to get women to talk to him, or does he just insist that everyone call him Licorice Stallion?

Phrost
2/12/2012 12:22am,
This guy sounds like a whackbat... I'd love to see him on video.

jnp
2/12/2012 1:04am,
chakras, Shamanism, Spiritual Growth and Transformation, Polyamory, Kundalini, Taoism, Sacred Ceremony and Ritual, Sacred Tantra, red tantra, Sacred Sexuality,
I've never met a guy who talked about the stuff quoted above who wasn't some type of sexual predator who specialized in taking advantage of weak willed people.

Your mileage may vary.

kayman101
2/12/2012 1:29am,
Sounds like the type of guy who will eventually eat your liver with fava beans and a glass of chianti.

Petter
2/12/2012 2:15am,
All of this is of course batshit insane and stupid.

Chi Kung, Chi Gong/ Chi Kung/ Qi Gong or Qigong, Qigong Exercise

Kabbalah, Hebrew Astrology, Mysticism, Earth-Based Spirituality, Shamanic Healing, Peru, Shamanic Journeying,

Remote Viewing, Self Empowerment & Exploration, Psychic Development and Mediumship Training, Personal Growth thru Spirituality and Meditation, Psychics, Ghosts Hunters, Ghost Tracking, Paranormal, spirits and ghosts

…white tantra, Kundalini Yoga, Sensuality and Intimacy, Spiritual Tantra, Kriya Yoga, Sensual and Erotic Education, What is Tantra? Tantric Sex and Lovemaking?, … Energy Healers, Rebirthing, Breathwork, Consciousness, Alternative Health, Tantric, Law of Attraction, Sexual healing

chakras, Shamanism, Spiritual Growth and Transformation, … Kundalini, Taoism, Sacred Ceremony and Ritual, Sacred Tantra, red tantra, Sacred Sexuality,

…Spirituality, Holistic Health, Qi Gong…

However, all of the stupidity and insanity can be easily explained:

Pick-Up ArtistNeurosyphilis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neurosyphilis). Who knows what else he’s got? Touch him at your peril!

Petter
2/12/2012 2:23am,
I've never met a guy who talked about the stuff quoted above who wasn't some type of sexual predator who specialized in taking advantage of weak willed people.
To be fair, there are lots of perfectly nice people into polyamory, and a fair number of them (though nice) are addled enough to buy into all that mystic nonsense. I’ve met them. They give me a headache and a sorely cramped masseter from biting down on all my commentary, but they’re harmless and non-predatory.

The sheer bulk of those items makes him look creepy, though, especially as meetup categories. And

Pick-Up Artist
is, AFAIK, basically a euphemism for “sexual predator” used by sexual predators. I’m not aware of the existence of any “PUAs” who do not deserve a punch in the face.

alex
2/12/2012 3:17am,
sorry but rebirthing? do i even want to know?

TheMightyMcClaw
2/12/2012 4:05am,
To be fair, there are lots of perfectly nice people into polyamory, and a fair number of them (though nice) are addled enough to buy into all that mystic nonsense. I’ve met them. They give me a headache and a sorely cramped masseter from biting down on all my commentary, but they’re harmless and non-predatory.

Damn right we are. (I'm poly myself)
Polyamory is real damn popular amongst the New Age and Neopagan communities, so I'm not surprised to see all the magical stuff. I should point out that I'm an atheist myself, and so was my ex girlfriend-in-law, so non-pagan poly people do exist.
The The Pick-Up Artist thing is what scares me, along with the sexual healing claptrap.

Naszir
2/12/2012 5:08am,
Did you friend grow a silly beard to get women to talk to him, or does he just insist that everyone call him Licorice Stallion?

No, but he did take to wearing ridiculous hats and playing with yo-yos. He outgrew that phase but it was just kind of odd.

judoka_uk
2/12/2012 5:28am,
my ex girlfriend-in-law,
What?

judoist
2/12/2012 6:14am,
It's okay to touch him. Just make sure not to let him touch you, and after touching him, make like Monk and use a wipe afterwards.

Hey, Monk is from the Bay area, right?

nils
2/12/2012 8:16am,
Seems to me that this is one of those guys who totally lack a basic filter to cut out nonsense or establish some kind of consistensy, since many of those schools of thought he´s interested in contradict each other.

My bet would be on an aged hippie(-wannabe) or an adolescent with delusions of grandeur.
Did he provide any information regarding his age?

robdaze151
2/12/2012 9:28am,
if i was a gambling man I'd put 50 stacks on him grabbing someones titty or meat member during push hands.

thrutch
2/12/2012 9:28am,
my ex girlfriend-in-law

What?

^ This.

What?

OP: Might as well touch the guy a few times. What's the worst thing that can happen?