PDA

View Full Version : anybody seen Hellboy?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Te No Kage!
4/12/2004 11:16am,
Has anybody seen Hellboy yet? Is it worth spending my precious money to see it?

MaverickZ
4/12/2004 11:39am,
don't bother, just rent it when it comes out on video.

WhiteShark
4/12/2004 12:19pm,
I liked it!

But "The Girl Next Door" was better.

John A Butz
4/12/2004 12:25pm,
I thought it was a good flick. Enjoyed it very much. I have yet to read the comic, so I can't comment on how accurate and true to the source material they were, but I thought the charcters were well played, the story was fun, the action was interestng and there were some rather funny moments.

I would put it at about Spiderman quality.

KageReaper
4/12/2004 12:36pm,
I liked it more than I liked spiderman. it was cool to me.

tkdan28
4/12/2004 12:43pm,
Originally posted by WhiteShark
I liked it!

But "The Girl Next Door" was better.

Please let us observe 60 seconds of silence.... WS changed his avatar. This one makes me dizzy too but not from blood lose.

JKDChick
4/12/2004 1:03pm,
I liked Hellboy too, but it's not brilliant. I'd go see it in the theater, like any special effects laden film.

Budd
4/12/2004 1:20pm,
Ron Perlman is the shizzle. Support him in his leading role. The movie kicks arse.

Go see Hellboy.

KuNg FooL
4/12/2004 2:21pm,
I thought that movie sucked. It was barely good enough to call it a popcorn flick. The action was alright, but I hated everybody. Hellboy was so annoying, and those cheezy one-liners ruined the badass image the writers were aiming for. I only liked one character, and it's kinda sad that the only one I liked was one of the bad guys, who was a totally screwed up psychopath, who also happens to be a Nazi. If you go see a superhero type movie, and the only character you like is a bad guy who's a crazy Nazi, then my friends, you do not have a good movie. That fish guy was a *****, and Selma Blair was a waste of character, and cheezy too. "oooh HB.." come on! lol
Save your money and go see The Girl Nextdoor.

tkdan28
4/12/2004 2:44pm,
We (meaning the wife, kids and I) enjoyed it a lot... the effects and dialog were good. The bit where lovesick HB hit the guy in the head with the rock was funny. I enjoyed the evil monster overlords. They reminded me of H.P. Lovecraft's monsters. I do think they rushed the ending quite a bit.

But the moral of the story came through loud and clear... It is not what you are born but what you do that makes you what you are.

"You should be running"

Raven
4/12/2004 2:58pm,
I liked it expect for that sappy ass ending.

That was some great god he fought.

Boyd
4/12/2004 10:36pm,
No it wasn't. Hellboy winds up fighting fucking CTHULU, and what happens? He kills him Men in Black style about eight seconds into the fight.

And the rest of the movie just plain sucked. Everything, from the bizarre decision to incorporate Rasputin as the lead villian to Hellboy's origin to that goddamn gay fish suggests that the movie was written by Mr. Alex Burchfield.

CrimsonTiger
4/12/2004 11:04pm,
****!

I actually agree with Boyd...everything he said.

C-R-A-P!

My buddy loved it though...

JKDChick
4/13/2004 12:35am,
Originally posted by Boyd
No it wasn't. Hellboy winds up fighting fucking CTHULU, and what happens? He kills him Men in Black style about eight seconds into the fight.

And the rest of the movie just plain sucked. Everything, from the bizarre decision to incorporate Rasputin as the lead villian to Hellboy's origin to that goddamn gay fish suggests that the movie was written by Mr. Alex Burchfield.

You have no respect for the source material. That's all from the original comic book.

This was the only thing about the movie that I quibble with: the director wrote it, did his own cine AND was one of the fight choreographers. This lent a certain uniformity of vision that did not to justice to Ron Perlman's magnificance. A 53 year old guy played an 18-year-old demon PERFECTLY, guys. He even got the whiny angst part down. It was BEAUTIFUL.

That being said, me, that script, and 20 minutes alone in a room? The movie would have been 150% better.

Abe was HOT, for a fish man, by the way.

MaverickZ
4/13/2004 12:39am,
Originally posted by Boyd

actually, i think it was more like he fought Shub Niggurath, Cthulhu is much more umm anthropomorphic.

JKDChick
4/13/2004 12:56am,
He fought a SPAWN of the elder god, guys.