PDA

View Full Version : What do you get when you have MMA/WingTsun/krav maga? Mcdojo baby.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Kungfoolss
4/10/2004 11:02am,
http://www.trainingforlifeinc.com/selfdefense.html

From the Krav maga site forum ->

Complaints about Minneapolis Krav Maga
Complaints about Training for Life (Minneapolis, MN)

mike5489

5:34 pm on 4.9.2004

Hi,
I've been looking for a Krav Maga training center in Minneapolis for a long time since I moved here from CA. I wanted to describe my negative experience with the only center that I was able to find in the Minneapolis/St. Paul region, namely Training For Life Inc. (www.trainigforlifeinc.com). I want to this is a calm, objective manner, in the hope that either this dojo can improve their Krav offerings, or someone here can be inspired to start another dojo in the Minneapolis region.

I called Training for Life for a class a few weeks ago, and was politely told to show up to the dojo about fifteen minutes beforehand. The primary instructor seemed to be friendly and knowledgeable, so I was encouraged.

When I showed up, I was asked for a $15 introductory course fee (applicable to further courses), and introduced to the other people who were trying the class - two police officers, who also were there for the first time.

We filed into the dojo, which is where I started having problems. The dojo is one of the smallest I've ever seen, which is not bad in itself, but there was a kickboxing class being held at the same time. It was hard to hear what the instructor was saying, as well as concentrate at all.

During the hour class, the level of instruction was lacking. The instructor was brusque (not only my opinion, but the police officers as well), curt, and generally showed moves once or twice, leaving us to practice with dummies the rest of the time. We all were generally frustrated - especially because he was also trying to promote another martial art (Wing Tsun) at the same time he was teaching Krav!

At this point, I have to give the Training for Life facility a horrible grade. I was dissatisfied with the instructor, facilties, and general atmosphere. I understand that one might not jibe with a paticular place or person, but I have taken plenty of KM in CA, and this was vastly disappointing. I would hope that there would be a better representative studio of KM in Minnesota. My thanks for your time.

http://www.kravmaga.com/forum/discussion.cgi?forum=1&discussion=3287

Kungfoolss
4/10/2004 11:06am,
Frankly, I don't know why this guy is whining, because all I ever hear is how krav maga compliments other styles. :D

MM4Guy
4/10/2004 11:18am,
Not necessarily a Mcdojo, just a shitty place to train.

Raven
4/10/2004 11:28am,
Isn't that basically a McDojo?

KageReaper
4/10/2004 11:32am,
Nah..the "place" doesn't make it a mcdojo

TexizGreat
4/10/2004 3:57pm,
Nice web site. But it sounds to me like the have too much going on at one time. And whats up with the instructor teaching one art and proping another one? That would be like going to an American history class and them teaching Russian history. Very ODD indead

PHILBERT
4/10/2004 4:54pm,
Originally posted by Shadowofravenwolf
Isn't that basically a McDojo?

No, a McDojo tends to have 8 year old black belts.

BlackBeltNow
4/10/2004 6:39pm,
Originally posted by KageReaper
Nah..the "place" doesn't make it a mcdojo

wha? aaa???

mcdojo (mi'kdo'jo)
n.
1. A school for training in martial arts of self-defense, such as judo and karate emphasized in profit
2. A martial arts place that sucks

Strong Machine
4/10/2004 8:26pm,
Krav Maga is a silly fad that owes alot more to public relations and a smart marketing strategy than to any substantative contribution to the arts.
To me the words "krav maga" radiate McDojo.

BlackBeltNow
4/10/2004 9:04pm,
Originally posted by Strong Machine
Krav Maga is a silly fad that owes alot more to public relations and a smart marketing strategy than to any substantative contribution to the arts.

i agree. but what strikes me odd is bas rutten endorses and teaches krav maga

Strong Machine
4/10/2004 9:57pm,
For a couple hundred,I'd endorse Krav Maga too.

KageReaper
4/10/2004 10:01pm,
Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
wha? aaa???

mcdojo (mi'kdo'jo)
n.
1. A school for training in martial arts of self-defense, such as judo and karate emphasized in profit
2. A martial arts place that sucks

I mean the place..location...I can train in the backyard with Lidell or someone like that..doesn't make it a mcdojo.

bushi51
4/11/2004 12:32am,
Originally posted by BlackBeltNow
i agree. but what strikes me odd is bas rutten endorses and teaches krav maga

Militech teaches Controlled Force www.controlledforce.com , which is the shittest Police Defensive Tactics system known to man...I was an instructor.:eek:

Money:rolleyes:

HAPKO3
4/11/2004 2:47pm,
KM is a good system if trained right.

Rarely is it trained right.

BlackBeltNow
4/11/2004 4:27pm,
Originally posted by KageReaper
I mean the place..location...I can train in the backyard with Lidell or someone like that..doesn't make it a mcdojo.

oh you meant environment... i was thinking about the school itself b/c most of the complaint was about the school not really the environment of the dojo (when he taught two classes i interpret that as little attention than crowded school)

Kungfoolss
4/11/2004 6:44pm,
Originally posted by Strong Machine

Mcdojo damage control in full swing at the Krav maga forum->

john whitman

3:39 pm on 4.10.2004

Okay, as readers of this board know, I keep a very open policy on complaints. I believe it is the best way to keep the system honest and move us forward. This will be no exception.
With the help of some students and others in Minneapolis I have an idea of what's happened, and I'm going to fix it.

There is an excellent instructor at this facility. His name is Jake Berenberg. He is the one mike5489 should have trained with, and the one the two police officers should have trained with.

Apparently, the school owner teaches other classes, especially WT classes, but lists at least one of them as a Krav Maga class. This person should NOT have done what he did and should NOT have been teaching."

How do you like that folks, the guy apparently wasn't even qualified to be teaching the krav maga course. So, what about the $15 fee John?

Can I get a 'WHOOOAAA MCDOJO?'