PDA

View Full Version : Can you name this kung fu movie?

Tharos
1/07/2012 11:08pm,
Around 11 years ago I was in a store somewhere and there was a kung fu movie playing on a television screen. I only saw two scenes in the short time I was there.

There seemed to be a character named Dragon 9, and he was sort of chubby. He was fighting 4 girls out in this beautiful garden and in a gazebo. He seemed to be a bit of a comedic character and seemed whimsical in his fighting style, like he was just enjoying himself. I think the girls were like guardians of a temple or something. They were wearing brightly colored clothing. And everyone was flying around using magical kung fu like in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Then the other scene was in the imperial palace and some guys were demonstrating secret weapons to the evil emperor and were blowing themselves up in the process. I remember seeing a guy describing the merits of a weapon while completely charred.

Someone in my family described it as a Safeway Select Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Safeway Select is family slang for low quality. It looked like it was made in the late 90's or so, but I could be wrong. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

CrackFox
1/08/2012 2:50am,
Someone in my family described it as a Safeway Select Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. Safeway Select is family slang for low quality. It looked like it was made in the late 90's or so, but I could be wrong. Does this sound familiar to anyone?
Haven't seen it, but could it be Flying Dragon, Leaping Tiger a CTHG knock off from 2002 starring the chubby Sammo Hung.

Tharos
1/08/2012 3:53am,
That sounds about right, although I could have sworn my memory was from 2001. Info about that movie is hard to come by. I finally tracked down a low quality trailer, but I didn't spot any familiar clips in it. This Sammo Hung guy looks familiar though. I'll have to get my hands on the movie somehow in order to be sure, but I have no idea how to do that. It's certainly not on Netflix.

CrackFox
1/08/2012 4:32am,
Sammo Hung may look familiar because he's been in a lot of stuff. He even starred in a TV show on CBS in the late 90's called Martial Law.

Tharos
1/08/2012 2:31pm,
Yes, this very well may not be the movie I'm after. The synopses I've read don't seem to match up. I looked at the other movies Sammo Hung has been in and none of them seem right either. Do you know any movie stars who look similar to Sammo Hung?

I may have given the wrong impression when I said low quality. I think it was trying to be funny. It was at least as comedic as Iron Monkey.