PDA

View Full Version : Native American Martial Arts?

Pages : [1] 2

VeritasVS
12/29/2011 1:10am,
I do not know much about MA but I was wondering if anyone here knew of any GENUINE Native American martial arts and schools. All I have found so far are complete fakes who combined East Asian styles into something they claimed to be "Native."

I am wondering because I have a bit of Native American heritage and have become greatly interested in learning about my heritage, including martial arts. I know that I have Cherokee and Blackfoot heritage. Does anyone know of any TRUE Cherokee of Blackfoot MA? If not, are there any genuine Native American MA schools in general?

Omega Supreme
12/29/2011 1:20am,
There's a guy name Perkins. Stay away. He's an idiot. That is all.

VeritasVS
12/29/2011 1:28am,
And that I shall. Thank you.

daishi
12/29/2011 2:44am,
There was a well known, and controversial, guy named Red Feather. My buddy trained with him for awhile. I can't comment on the genuineness of his heritage or the traditional lineage of his techniques, but he was a solid technician (judging that off my friend). I currently believe he's in jail for doing crazy-ass ****. I know that is not in any way directly helpful, but maybe you can use it as a jumping board for further inquiry and investigation. I'll hit up my buddy and see if he can refer anyone else.

VeritasVS
12/29/2011 4:10am,
Thank you for the response! It could be very helpful! :)

hungryjoe
12/29/2011 7:53am,
Threads to read for a start.

Harley Regan threads -

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50839&page=1

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17811&page=1

Creole3687 threads -

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99343&pagenumber=

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=104033&pagenumber=

I do not believe that are any true native American martial arts exist. Only those pimping their heritage and Harley wasn't even Cherokee.

Soldiermedic
12/29/2011 11:02am,
Usually these discussions begin and end with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okichitaw

Its validity is highly questionable and in any case its a "fusion" MA in the first place.

If you wanted to be more closely identified with the traditional aspects of your heritage, I would not recommend starting with the martial arts.

Permalost
12/29/2011 12:34pm,
I've looked into it and its pretty much what you said (East Asian martial arts rebranded as Native American). If there was something, I'd bet it was a form of wrestling, because lots of tribes had those. There's also lots of survival type skills out there too, but I don't think there's the same precedent for codifying everything into a leveled curriculum like in Asian martial arts (of course, that's not to say that there isn't different statuses, initiation rites and privileged information among many tribes).

jspeedy
12/29/2011 2:26pm,
Has anyone looked into teachers of specific skills? I remember when I was in middle school a Native American came and talked about his heritage and such, he also demonstrated shooting a bow and spear throwing. The coolest thing he had was a simple shaped piece of wood that was a "spear thrower" he placed it on the end of the spear and it provided leverage to propel the spear much farther than he could throw without it.

My guess is if there is anything that resembles a Native American combat related art form alive today it may be in the form of weapons skills/uses. I've seen some dances in books as well. I know in other cultures many of the dances are rooted in martial arts postures.

Not to be a dick but how Cherokee and Blackfoot are you? Do you have any family members who have access/privelages to a reservation. I only ask because it seems like everyone I know claims to have "indian" in them, many of them couldn't look any less indian and none of them have ties to a reservation. I myself am told I have Blackfoot and Iroquois in my family (apparently i'm 1/32nd) which I'll actually buy because none of the men in my family have any bodyhair and we all have dark hair. I don't go around claiming to have "indian" in me though because I don't want to sound like those douches.

VeritasVS
12/29/2011 7:10pm,
Yeah, it does appear that I will not find any true native schools. However, if I can eventually get into contact with a native group that may be willing to accept me, perhaps I can learn some traditional weapon and survival skills.

As far as how Cherokee and Blackfoot I am, I am not entirely sure, to be honest. I know that my grandmother's great grandmother was full blooded Cherokee. That alone would make me 1/32nd Cherokee and I know that there is the added in Blackfoot as well. I know very very little about my family lineage and it currently isn't likely that I will not be able to find out anytime soon. Truthfully, most doubt I have any native heritage at all because I actually look Scandinavian, but I do have much of the Native American facial structure. I hope to eventually find out more about my family. And the most important thing for me is that I feel a very deep spiritual connection to my native heritage.

DaTedBear
1/10/2012 12:14pm,
@VeritasVS - Welcome (Osiyo). Share the Cherokee heritage with a touch of Blackfoot.

Usually, you would be met with a lot of grief on this sort of subject, but seems you caught everyone in a good mood. From the word of mouth history, my family members do not indicate that there was so much a specific art by Nation, but a method of fighting particular to each Warrior Society. Depending on the region usually hunted, the types of weapons and grappling changed. A suggestion would be that you would be better served pursuing the protocols of your heritage than the attempt to isolate on a particular style of fighting as there was no formal process. Also, if you are over the age of 18, have no documentation of blood or ties to a member of the Nation (either Eastern Band in NC or the Western Band in OK), you would not be able to be added to the tribal roles of a federally recognized tribe.

Good luck in your pursuuit.

VeritasVS
1/10/2012 9:31pm,
@VeritasVS - Welcome (Osiyo). Share the Cherokee heritage with a touch of Blackfoot.

Usually, you would be met with a lot of grief on this sort of subject, but seems you caught everyone in a good mood. From the word of mouth history, my family members do not indicate that there was so much a specific art by Nation, but a method of fighting particular to each Warrior Society. Depending on the region usually hunted, the types of weapons and grappling changed. A suggestion would be that you would be better served pursuing the protocols of your heritage than the attempt to isolate on a particular style of fighting as there was no formal process. Also, if you are over the age of 18, have no documentation of blood or ties to a member of the Nation (either Eastern Band in NC or the Western Band in OK), you would not be able to be added to the tribal roles of a federally recognized tribe.

Good luck in your pursuuit.

Thank you so much for the information! I know that I cannot be added, sadly, but perhaps I can find someone eventually who would still be willing to teach me. I am always willing to learn!

Thank you for everything!

It is Fake
1/10/2012 9:35pm,

Usually, you would be met with a lot of grief on this sort of subject, but seems you caught everyone in a good mood.No, you would not. You get grief when you claim to teach an original Native American martial art especially, if you are "white as the driven snow."

No one is going to get grief for searching out their heritage.

VeritasVS
1/10/2012 10:21pm,
Sadly, I am "white as the driven snow," but I still have Native American heritage that I am proud of, so I am seeking, however ineffectively, as much knowledge as I can find.

It is Fake
1/10/2012 10:45pm,
Sadly, I am "white as the driven snow,"

You get grief when you claim to teach an original Native American martial art especially, if you are "white as the driven snow."

but I still have Native American heritage that I am proud of, so I am seeking, however ineffectively, as much knowledge as I can find.

No one is going to get grief for searching out their heritage.

Yes, exactly what I said.

VeritasVS
1/10/2012 11:09pm,
Yeah, sorry for the unneeded post there. And this one here as well.