PDA

View Full Version : New Sherlock Holmes movie Watson still isn't fat

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bneterasedmynam
12/07/2011 12:32pm,
I have high hopes for the new Sherlock Holmes movie and do plan to see it. However with the previews running every 10 minutes or so on tv it seems like (judging from the previews) that their turning Holmes into some kind of ninja. Now the only knowledge I have of the Sherlock Holmes lore comes from movies from the 80's where Holmes walks around deducting and Watson flaps his fins together like a giant walrus. So my question is this was Sherlock Holmes really suppose to be a martial artist the way they are depicting him in this movie?? I have not read any of the books, so my question is to those of you who have.

Sri Hanuman
12/07/2011 1:22pm,
In the novels, Holmes was mentioned in passing as a pro boxer, and could bend fireplace pokers with minimal effort.

He was also supposed to be either a coke or opium enthusiast (I forget which.)

wetware
12/07/2011 1:26pm,
In a word: Yes.
According to the various books and short stories he's studied bartitsu, "chinese boxing" and traditional boxing.

It's coke, IIRC. Also occasionally opium.

It should be added that Watson is no slouch himself. He was a soldier in Afghanistan and India.

Sri Hanuman
12/07/2011 1:30pm,
You know, if the recent movies tickle your fancy, the Sherlock Holmes/cthulu game is pretty decent.

Bneterasedmynam
12/07/2011 1:31pm,
In the novels, Holmes was mentioned in passing as a pro boxer, and could bend fireplace pokers with minimal effort.

He was also supposed to be either a coke or opium enthusiast (I forget which.)

Enthusiast or addict?? Lol but I didnt think that one was writen by ACD.

Sri Hanuman
12/07/2011 1:32pm,
It was. Part of my old Russian collection, but the author most definitely was the good Sir Doyle.

Bneterasedmynam
12/07/2011 1:32pm,
You know, if the recent movies tickle your fancy, the Sherlock Holmes/cthulu game is pretty decent.

Is it based on the movies or a stand alone??

Bneterasedmynam
12/07/2011 1:34pm,
Yeah I think there were hints that his pipe wasn't always filled with tobacco.

Sri Hanuman
12/07/2011 1:42pm,
Is it based on the movies or a stand alone??

Stand alone, but they build the background and atmosphere relatively well. They tend to stay true to character both in their design and execution of Holmes, and the Lovecraftian elements.

I give it 2 paws up.

CNagy
12/07/2011 2:06pm,
Enthusiast or addict?? Lol but I didnt think that one was writen by ACD.

Holmes does cocaine when he is bored. Excerpt from The Sign of Four: "It is cocaine," he said, "a seven per-cent solution. Would you care to try it?" So yeah, shooting up a cocaine solution.

Of course, we're talking the late 1800s, and the attitudes towards drugs were quite different. Hell, cocaine was seen as mostly harmless for much of the last century; it only got huge in the 80s.

W. Rabbit
12/07/2011 4:15pm,
So my question is this was Sherlock Holmes really suppose to be a martial artist the way they are depicting him in this movie?? I have not read any of the books, so my question is to those of you who have.

I have read most of the Doyle stories.

Holmes is, in fact, a fantastic empty handed fighter but also a master of several weapons. He's an expert with sword and cane, etc.

Ninja? Maybe the Victorian period's closest thing to it, given the combination of mental and physical skills, not to mention of course that Holmes is a master of disguise and escape.

Other than whipping the ass out of his opponents whenever fisticuffs start in the books, he's also given commendations from various prizefighters and toughs in a few stories.

In one early story The Sign of the Four, he has a conversation with a bruiser named McMurdo who might have been the inspiration for the Irish brawler that Holmes defeats in the first movie, I think. Who knows. He was not a professional boxer IIRC, but fought (well) with them for charity events.

And of course he credits defeating Prof. Moriarty with "Japanese
wrestling" which in the book he calls Baritsu, after the real world art Bartitsu which there are many BS.net threads about.

But generally Holmes was definitely more action figure than 70's/80's movies may have suggested.

Holmes was NEVER any sort of bookwormish, meak detective...he's the Brawny, Brainy Detective.

On cocaine...which makes him way more like this guy than the Hardy Boys, any day:

http://i.imgur.com/OffuX.jpg

Sri Hanuman
12/07/2011 4:22pm,
He was the 1800s Tyrone Biggum with a detective's degree.
And on coke instead of crack.

http://www.delimitedaddiction.com/storage/052409%20tyrone-biggums-crack.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1243208394459

Permalost
12/07/2011 5:13pm,
So what you're saying is that Robert Downey Jr really was perfectly cast for the role?

Coach Josh
12/07/2011 5:37pm,
The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is free on iBooks and a good read of short stories of Holmes and Watson.

The portly stature of Watson and the coolness of Holmes on the TV are suppose to be in their later years.

ASH gives you a good feel for what Ritchie is trying to do with the characters.

As a long time fan of Holmes I can honestly say these movies are great. I love the action and the actors are all great. Everyone in the first one was amazing and Jude Law was fantastic as Watson.

Rachel McAdams is my current I would cheat on my wife hottie(Anne Hathaway is still there and after Catwoman she will be imprinted in my skull for a long time).

RDJ has and will always be one of my favorite actors. Less Than Zero is a must see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore typos.

thrutch
12/07/2011 6:20pm,
The Holmes books are well worth a read for those who haven't. I read them all in my teens, and returned to them not long ago (20 or so years later) and enjoyed them just as much.

Holmes was a fighter. There's a few instances of him beating one or more men off.

And yes, he was a coke user who was also known to hang around in an opium den, but then who doesn't?

Middlefinger
12/07/2011 6:42pm,
And yes, he was a coke user who was also known to hang around in an opium den, but then who doesn't?

I think the opium den was from one story where he was doing surveillance. He admitted to smoking some to fit in though. Also, Watson had a gambling problem. His check book was kept locked in one of Holmes' drawers.