PDA

View Full Version : Higher Vertical jump means more powerful kick?

Pages : [1] 2

plyvic
11/19/2011 1:03pm,
Just wondering if higher vertical jump means more power in kicks.

Lanky279
11/19/2011 1:35pm,
No. What higher vertical jumps means it that you have strong legs, which could mean more powerful kicks. But just a high vertical jump alone means little. For example, you don't see many UFC fighters practicing high vertical jumps to improve their kicks.

plyvic
11/20/2011 4:08pm,
True but you have to require more explosive power in your legs for higher jump. Might increase power of front kick and the side kick but probably not the round house kick because of roundhouse seem to use hip power instead of power from the legs.

So what your thought about this?

plyvic
11/20/2011 4:11pm,
Sorry double post

Lanky279
11/20/2011 4:20pm,
To increase your vertical jump or kicking power, you could weight-lift. The thing is that after you lift for a while, why would you measure your kicking power by jumping?

That, and go work on a heavy bag with whatever you want to improve, like a side kick or a front kick.

dflanmod
11/20/2011 4:36pm,
I know nothing about kicking but I would think that 90 percent of your possible power is going to come from technique.
Not that additional muscle/strength would hurt, but if it were me I'd want to juice all the power I could out of technique before worrying about more esoteric methods.

plyvic
11/20/2011 4:38pm,
Jumping is not a good way to measure kick power but does increasing vertical jump means more kicking power

Lanky279
11/20/2011 4:54pm,
...does increasing vertical jump means more kicking powerDepends on how you increase your kicking power. Lifting will increase both but just jumping all day isn't gonna do much. They are much more efficient way to better your kicks.

Also do what dflanmod said. Don't worry about power now, just get the technique down. As long as it's good technique, power will come eventually with or without lifting, although lifting does help.

dflanmod
11/20/2011 5:00pm,
Jumping is not a good way to measure kick power but does increasing vertical jump means more kicking power

Probably in the same way sit ups give me the extra strength I need when I'm constipated.

But seriously, isn't kicking power mostly in the mass of your legs moving at speed? Seems that the msucles used in a vertial leap are'nt firing in the same way as they would when kicking. I just don't see it being that big of a factor.

plyvic
11/20/2011 5:08pm,
Probably in the same way sit ups give me the extra strength I need when I'm constipated.

But seriously, isn't kicking power mostly in the mass of your legs moving at speed? Seems that the msucles used in a vertial leap are'nt firing in the same way as they would when kicking. I just don't see it being that big of a factor.

Leg mass doesn't always mean strength

plyvic
11/20/2011 5:11pm,
Lanky279 you are very right about kicking technique meaning more power. but does not solve this

High jump=more harder kicks?

dflanmod
11/20/2011 5:14pm,
Mass times speed equals POWER.

Physics.

The only question is how do you get the maximum amount of your mass moving at high speed in the shortest length of time?

Technique will get you there the quickest.
Then you run into the law of diminishing returns.
That's when I would start looking for ways to squeeze out the last bits of performance.

plyvic
11/20/2011 5:19pm,
Mass times speed equals POWER.

Physics.

Isn't it strength times speed equal power? Also including the mass.

Lanky279
11/20/2011 5:28pm,
Isn't it strength times speed equal power? Also including the mass.Power is the rate of work done. Do more work in a shorter time and you'll increase power. The actual equation is: Work/Time, which can be manipulated to become Force x Velocity. Force = Mass x Acceleration.

In other word, gain mass and kick faster. Unfortunately, those two things aren't always directly related to another.

However, I think that plyvic has the best advice here. Don't worry about vertical jump or lifting as much as you would on actual technique.

plyvic
11/20/2011 5:39pm,
My say in this that
How the hell did we end up talking about physics?!

Lanky279
11/20/2011 5:43pm,
How the hell did we end up talking about physics?!Physics was brought in to explain to you that you shouldn't be trying to jump higher if you want to kick better.