PDA

View Full Version : Shoot Defense

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Mr. Mantis
4/02/2004 5:31pm,
Hook block.

DJeter1234
4/02/2004 6:29pm,
just a guess, is it the defense for the single leg where you sprawl but bring the leg they are shooting on towards your butt and grab it?

Mr. Mantis
4/03/2004 10:16am,
No. Its when you actually block their advance using a hook block. Just imagine having a hook or a sickle in your hand and the route you would take to block a shoot. While manuvering off line and penetrating.

mikus
4/03/2004 10:26am,
Edge, something like that will work if there is a gi and both hands are on the gi. It's very easy to stiff arm away a shot (which is why in international judo you won't see people who are good with a double leg shoot when the opponent has both hands on 'em. Only when they are just coming to grips or maybe the opponent has one hand). I'm not so sure about no-gi, though. It seems like the hands would just slip off.

Mr. Mantis
4/03/2004 10:36am,
What are the chances of just sinking in the stance to resist a sucessful shoot?

The Wastrel
4/03/2004 10:37am,
Zero.

DJeter1234
4/03/2004 10:46am,
you can pause a shoot by sinking in, but generally it is really easy to change the direction you are pushing and get a very easy takedown.

Mr. Mantis
4/03/2004 10:50am,
OOp

Mr. Mantis
4/03/2004 10:52am,
Originally posted by Osiris
Mantis, where do you block exactly?

Your block begins on the opponent proximal to the elbow then moves in and up if you can.

Mr. Mantis
4/03/2004 10:53am,
Originally posted by DJeter1234
you can pause a shoot by sinking in, but generally it is really easy to change the direction you are pushing and get a very easy takedown.

Ah, I see. So once you are grabbed, you are fucked. No?

Mr. Mantis
4/03/2004 11:14am,
Originally posted by Osiris
Ok, so you have an underhook, right? WHAT PART DO YOU HOOK? His arm? The lead leg? And what do you do with it?

"So once you are grabbed, you are fucked. No?"

No.

The arm. You do not grab. You move in towards your opponent and off on an angle. You redirect the momentum of your opponent away.

Vargas
4/03/2004 11:29am,
If you're talking about getting one (or preferably both) underhooks to prevent a half-assed shot, then sure, it'll work. Against a shot done correctly (ie. too low for you to get your hands below his shoulders), the only real option is sprawling.

Stiff arms work, but only against a guy trying to bull in for a clinch or going for a shot without setting it up correctly.

As for the 'sinking in the stance' defense, you'll see how well that one works first time you try it on a grappler. The reason a sprawl works against shots is mostly because it gets your legs out of the shooter's reach. Sinking does nothing to prevent an ankle pick or a re-shoot to a single leg.

Whenever talk about shooting and shoot defense crops up, remember that shooting for a takedown has to be set-up right to have a good chance at working. Just lowering your level and lunging forward with your arms spread wide might work against the untrained but will probably fail against anyone with basic grappling skills.

MrMcFu
4/03/2004 12:58pm,
**** it.

Just sprawl you pussies.

Hedgehogey
4/03/2004 1:57pm,
DEAR SIR ORTHOPTERID:

YOU ARE ACTING LIKE A FAG STOP PLEASE GO ADVANCE TO NEXT INSTAR STOP SINKING IN STANCE WILL NOT PREVENT TAKEDOWN STOP

COCKS STOP

Omega Supreme
4/03/2004 2:00pm,
Actually the "hook block" works. If I ever get it up I do it a few times at the NorCal Mcthrowdown when Xero tried to shoot on me.

DJeter1234
4/03/2004 3:48pm,
from my experiance, once your grabbed your not screwed, but if you are grabbed and you jsut sit in a deep stance your screwed.