PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Hand Out in Kumite

SeroX
11/05/2011 12:50pm,
I have a question about kumite. I've seen my sensei as well as the blue guy in the video leave their hand out when fighting. I'm only 8th kyu so I don't know much but I can't see any advantage of it. Can anyone explain it to me? I've also seen some other blackbelts in my dojo rotate their hands in a circular motion around an incoming tap, like when their opponent taps their hand to weaken their guard to strike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxnfQi4GEKk

Chili Pepper
11/05/2011 1:50pm,
Not sure what their rationale might be, but typically in FMA it'd be inadvisable - in weapons sparring, we'd just smash it and in empty-hands, there would be a strong incentive to keep whacking the back of the opponent's hand with the "door knockers".

senseipookie
11/05/2011 5:22pm,
They are doing your typical krotty point fighting, which is exactly what's wrong with so much "traditional" martial arts.

I believe the hand out is a distancing thing. Notice how they stand almost sideways to each other? And how they are constantly bouncing up and down? And how they completely turn their backs on each other after a point is called? Point sparring will give you lots of habits that will likely get you hurt in a real fight. But these guys think that they are real badasses. DO NOT EMULATE!!

UnwrittenXx
11/05/2011 9:05pm,
Welcome to bullshido, hope you can learn alot from the forum,

I think its a distance thing aswell, or you could like block upcoming kicks faster, not sure, best bet is to ask your instructor or higher-level students.

SeroX
11/06/2011 3:26pm,
I assumed it was for distancing but i wasn't sure.

And how they completely turn their backs on each other after a point is called? Point sparring will give you lots of habits that will likely get you hurt in a real fight. But these guys think that they are real badasses. DO NOT EMULATE!!
At my dojo, we do point sparring but we practice with regular sparring, so I doubt I have to worry too much.
Thanks for your input everyone.

senseipookie
11/06/2011 3:50pm,
Good - nothing wrong with point sparring per se, it can actually be kind of fun and help with speed and reaction time. As long as you know the difference and don't confuse playing tag with real fighting ability.