PDA

View Full Version : The Last Surviving Master of Shastar Vidya

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Goldenguy
10/31/2011 8:57pm,
Since there is no Indian/Pakistani forum in the traditional martial arts section, I decided to post this here.

Also, while there is an existing thread on shastar vidya, it's a bit old, and it is in the MABS forum- so I thought that it would appropriate to start a new thread in YMAS.

At any rate, this is a short article about a middle-aged Sikh and his attempts to preserve the traditional martial arts of his people. The great pictures of Mr. Singh in his full battle array and his arsenal of traditional weaponry alone are worth checking out the article.

And if you are so inclined, he is looking for disciples to carry on the art of shastar vidya.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15480741

jspeedy
10/31/2011 9:11pm,
"Jangi mojeh: War shoes with toe blades"- flippin' sweet kinda reminds of a real life version of Ichi the Killer's badass boots.

Interesting story though. It has some similarities to BS arts though, the whole being the sole inheritor of the art learning from a mysterious hermit sounds all to familiar. Although, historically it sounds like this art may have more legitimacy than others, not to mention that it states there were other masters in existence when the guy featured in the article was still learning.

I also like that his sect of the Sikh religion get to eat meat, drink alcohol, and cannibis infused drinks.

Anyone else know if the legitimacy of this guys lineage can be verified?

Bahuyuddha
11/01/2011 12:05am,
I found this video linked from the Wikipedia article section on Shastar Vidya revival (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gatka#Revival), showing Nidar Singh demonstrating some of its techniques:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wPQKmhlFUA

Diesel_tke
11/01/2011 8:24am,
Pretty interesting article. Did anyone else notice that every time this guy met a master, he learned from them, and then they died shortly thereafter? The plot thickens....

I did like how he has a gun among his weapons. And typically in martial arts, I'm into cool toys, but his didn't interest me too much. I could really get into wearing a turbin like that, especially with a trident in it!!! But the shoes, no way I could wear those shoes!

MikeRC
11/01/2011 8:49am,
According to the vid it trains "one man to fight two hundred and fifty."
I think we've found the true zombie fightin' art.

-Mike

Auszi
11/01/2011 8:52am,
After spending a year in India, I would take anything that comes from there with a grain of salt. There is so much BS there its beggars belief. If there is someone willing to listen someone is ready to fill their ear with whatever they want to hear. They drink deep from their own kool aid as well.

Not saying this guy is full of it but I learnt to be very cynical of anything anyone said to me after my time there.

jspeedy
11/01/2011 8:56am,
Pretty interesting article. Did anyone else notice that every time this guy met a master, he learned from them, and then they died shortly thereafter? The plot thickens....

I did like how he has a gun among his weapons. And typically in martial arts, I'm into cool toys, but his didn't interest me too much. I could really get into wearing a turbin like that, especially with a trident in it!!! But the shoes, no way I could wear those shoes!

What are you talking about? The razor shoes are clearly the best looking and most functional part of the whole outfit. The trident turban does have a certain appeal to me.

Diesel_tke
11/01/2011 10:18am,
Bhaaahaaaa!!!! OK, maybe you can convince me! Get you some of those shoes and then let me see you in them! I'll hold judgement till then!

Permalost
11/01/2011 10:53am,
I find the technical side of Sikh martial arts to be very odd, but their weapon kits are awesome. I wonder how the turban trident is used.

Sri Hanuman
11/01/2011 11:26am,
Dude, trident hat!!!
Fucking trident hat!!!
You can't **** with trident hat!!!

judoka_uk
11/01/2011 11:33am,
I suspect bullshit, I don't see why the Raj would have banned Sikh martial arts when they amongst others were designated 'martial races' and prized for the fighting abilities as recruits into the Army. Doesn't make sense to make your martial race less martial and less deadly.

W. Rabbit
11/01/2011 11:46am,
I suspect bullshit, I don't see why the Raj would have banned Sikh martial arts when they amongst others were designated 'martial races' and prized for the fighting abilities as recruits into the Army. Doesn't make sense to make your martial race less martial and less deadly.
British Sikhs revive deadly art banned by the Raj (http://www.sikhnet.com/news/british-sikhs-revive-deadly-art-banned-raj)

The warrior art of Shastar Vidya (weapon science) once practiced by Sikhs in the Punjab, was banned by the ruling British, who were intimidated by the success, bravery and sheer aggression of the martial art. The blue turbans were forbidden and only a ceremonial form of the art was allowed in the Raj. The closely guarded secrets of the true form went underground.

Sri Hanuman
11/01/2011 12:06pm,
Lebell has some good stories about the MA atmosphere in India. Has someone tagged him yet? He might have some good insight.

Diesel_tke
11/01/2011 12:10pm,
Worry not! I'll get this all sorted out for you guys!

http://www.sikhwomen.com/turban/how.htm

Now, off to find trident.

Sri Hanuman
11/01/2011 2:22pm,
You know, you can authenticate pretty much any art by screaming Dan Inosanto's name at people who are asking questions.

judoka_uk
11/01/2011 2:35pm,
British Sikhs revive deadly art banned by the Raj (http://www.sikhnet.com/news/british-sikhs-revive-deadly-art-banned-raj)

Yes, well done.

That was exactly my point.

I don't see any reason why the Raj would have banned Sikhs from practising martial arts, because they were a designated 'martial race'.

This means they were drafted into the British army and were some of the most trusted and most loyal soldiers. We gave them guns and cannons for gods sake, why would we be worried about them doing a bit of playing about with swords and spears and stabby shoes when in the same time period we were actively arming them with the latest European weaponry.

Britain gained control of the Sikh territories in 1849, 8 years later when the Indian Mutiny erupted in 1857 and we nearly lost the whole of India. The Sikhs stayed loyal to the British and helped us recapture Delhi and other crucial sites.

It makes no sense for the Raj to have banned a Sikh martial art.

Because:
1: We gave them shitloads of high tech weaponry.
2. They were intensely loyal.

I also haven't seen any reference to a specific act, proclamation etc... about it.

Searching in google scholar for this martial art renders no results.