PDA

View Full Version : New to site, not new to karate

thevanillaninja
10/20/2011 10:23pm,
So, early on in my life..

Freshman year in high school, I didn't know anybody in the new town I moved to and decided to take up karate. My opinion of it varied day-by-day, but looking back at it I can say it was wonderful. I spent four years on the four-year plan, but I don't feel like I was given anything I didn't work for. Sure, early on you're rewarded for showing up, but this is America and that's how capitalism works. Give them the carrot, then make them work for it. I appreciate how I was treated.

I trained under a very-well respected 7th Dan in Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan, and I appreciate everything he did for me. I joined the military after high school and I can say that without the morals, rigidity, and structure I had in karate I wouldn't be the man I am now. Whatever.

So, five years later, I'm looking at getting back into martial arts. I really like the style I trained in earlier, and am not really interested in trying out a new style. It's not out of fear, it's out of the fact that I honestly like the style I was with before. I'm not all into straight-fighting, or kicking, whatever you want to say is a better style. I like this one, so accept that.

Now, I'm in VA for three years at my duty station, and I've found a few resources for continuing my Shorin-Ryu Shorinkan training. One option is the guy that my Kyoshi trained under, one is a guy that trained under that guy and knows my Kyoshi (whom I don't know,) and another is one that trained under my Kyoshi directly(and I know rather well, I sparred with him for my Shodan as he was testing for Sandan.) They're all within 20 minutes and all the same discipline. I'm just going to take the next few days and figure out who I would like to study under after many years out of the business. I'm married now, an active duty E-5, and way past the shape I was in at 18. I don't want to be a fatty, I want to enjoy a fun activity, and I need something to keep me busy. Karate fills all these things; and I think with my new-found age, I can do much better than high school me did years back.

So, that's me. Thanks for having this site up, I hope that I can get as much from it as I can give back.

Bryan
(my screen name is a joke I made up when I started martial arts... in 2002)

jnp
10/20/2011 10:53pm,
Welcome to the site.

I believe one of our staff members here, Omega, trained in Shorin Ryu for a time. He found the training useful as I recall.

To the rest of you: I suggest some of you with a MMA axe to grind keep this in mind. Not all Karate is krotty.

UnwrittenXx
10/20/2011 10:56pm,
Welcome to the site, tell us how the experience goes. :D