PDA

View Full Version : Is it acceptable to tip your instructor for private lessons?

Pages : [1] 2

The_Great_Wall
3/26/2004 10:36am,
I bought 6 hours of private lessons with my MT instructor with which I learned a great deal. I was impressed not only with what he taught me, but with the way he went and gave 110% to the lesson.

I know people tip personal trainers and such, but this is a little different. I want to give him something extra to show my appreciation, but I wanted to make sure a tip wasn't out of line. Any suggestions?

WhiteShark
3/26/2004 10:52am,
I'm a little uncomfortable tipping anyway so I know I wouldn't tip him. But if he's your regular instructor and you really appreciated the experience. A small gift wouldn't be out of line. Just don't make it a coffe mug that says "World's Bestest Instructor" that'd be a little ghey.

virtual_mantis
3/26/2004 10:57am,
If you're gonna give him the tip, you might as well give him the whole damn thing! :D

Seriously: Is it his dojo? If it is You could clean it or paint it. this goes a long way in showing your appreciation.

The_Great_Wall
3/26/2004 11:11am,
Well, it's not really a dojo per se. It's a MT gym. I used to take Shotokan and with all the traditional Master/Student trappings, I would have just waxed the floor of the dojo, but he'd probably think I was a whacko if I offered to do that in the gym.

Originally posted by virtual_mantis
If you're gonna give him the tip, you might as well give him the whole damn thing! :D

Seriously: Is it his dojo? If it is You could clean it or paint it. this goes a long way in showing your appreciation.

Brian King
3/26/2004 12:04pm,
I am thinking the gift idea. Perhaps some artwork or some hand carved piece of art. Along with the gift write him a feedback on the class, let him know what you really enjoyed, what you learned, where you were before the class and where you think you are now, if you enjoyed the direction of the class and things you want to learn in the future perhaps at the next private lesson. Also if you have any questions this would be a good time to write them up and ask them. By writting a feedback you not only show your appreciation but it forces you to relive the training so that if there are any blank spots in your memory of all that was covered you can address them.

See you on the mat
Friends
Brian King

elipson
3/26/2004 2:02pm,
Offer to buy him a beer.

Angry-Monkey
3/26/2004 2:19pm,
Give him a foot massage.

Well, you said that you bought the private lessons? I think just tell him how much you appreciated them. A present would be nice, but everything suggested so far is goofy.
The beer idea was the best one so far. And mine of course.

matzahbal
3/26/2004 2:30pm,
Buy him lunch.

BeastApprentice
3/26/2004 4:50pm,
Where i study the cost i pay monthly includes private instruction once a week and unlimited use of the studio/Kwoon, as well as unlimited group instruction. My Instructors find it better to get a verbal compliment from the students than gifts. as well as sharing what you learned with others while training with them.

stoogejitsu
3/26/2004 5:11pm,
One hundred Trillion Dollars, or possibly just ask him/find out what he likes and then get him something based on that knowledge.

MM4Guy
3/26/2004 7:17pm,
Give him a little something special if he taught you well :D, THE COFFEE CUP IDEA SOUNDS GREAT ABOUT NOW.

liuzg150181
3/26/2004 9:13pm,
A bunny girl would be nice too~~~:D

Deadpan Scientist
3/26/2004 10:03pm,
Originally posted by elipson
Offer to buy him a beer.

Driscoll
3/27/2004 3:53am,
Put ice in your mouth next time you're sucking his dick.

The_Great_Wall
3/27/2004 12:39pm,
Originally posted by Driscoll
Put ice in your mouth next time you're sucking his dick. So I take it that the BJJ you're practicing doesn't actually stand for Brazilian Ju Jitsu, eh?

Cracker
3/27/2004 12:48pm,
Thank the guy by being a hard working student and recommending him to others. Bringing in more business is always a great way to say "thanks".