PDA

View Full Version : sambo club in brussels (uccle)

ashkelon
9/28/2011 3:50am,
didn't know where to put this, newbietown seems good enough.

anyway, so I thought there was no sambo club in Brussels, seems there is, just kind of unannounced. http://www.sambo.be/ lists it, though little or no indications and the schedule is wrong.

I called the sports center, they say just to show up at training, which is tomorrow :D

is there anything I should watch out for? do all schools do sports and combat sambo? they seem to call combat sambo "sambo global". what about self-defense sambo? is it like a combatives/krav flavoured sambo?

researched a bit and the teacher Anatoli Romansky is a moldavian guy, a referee it seems.

the hours suck, one right in and one just before one of my other classes, but I'll at least check it out.

sambo in belgium seems to be only for french speakers, weird. they are part of the jiujitsu federation.

thanks for any tips or info!

ash

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
9/28/2011 4:10am,
I only see the Saturday from 14h till 16h for the Uccle club? What are the hours for wednesday?

According to the personal opinion of Stephen Koepher (head of the American SAMBO Association) there's only ONE SAMBO, all the rest are just different rulesets: Sport, Combat and in the U.S. also Freestyle (including chokes in Sport SAMBO).

Self-Defense/Special SAMBO doesn't exists as a codified ruleset (at least not in Russia), but is just several styles distinct out of SAMBO tailermade for the group it is intended too (Militairy or Civilian).

You're in Belgium? The EuroMega TD is on Saturday in Leuven (see link below, just above my sigs) if you are interested.

ashkelon
9/28/2011 4:37am,
I only see the Saturday from 14h till 16h for the Uccle club? What are the hours for wednesday?

hours are tuesdays 20h30 to 21h30 and thursdays 17h30 18h30. at least that's what the old bugger on the phone said...

According to the personal opinion of Stephen Koepher (head of the American SAMBO Association) there's only ONE SAMBO, all the rest are just different rulesets: Sport, Combat and in the U.S. also Freestyle (including chokes in Sport SAMBO).

Self-Defense/Special SAMBO doesn't exists as a codified ruleset (at least not in Russia), but is just several styles distinct out of SAMBO tailermade for the group it is intended too (Militairy or Civilian).

do you train sambo in Flanders?

You're in Belgium? The EuroMega TD is on Saturday in Leuven (see link below, just above my sigs) if you are interested.

Working this weekend, is it like a recurrent event or a one-off in Leuven?
sounds like fun, is it open for ultimate noobs?

9/28/2011 4:59am,
hours are tuesdays 20h30 to 21h30 and thursdays 17h30 18h30. at least that's what the old bugger on the phone said...

Than the hours on the website are wrong.

do you train sambo in Flanders?

There's no SAMBO in Flanders.
I train:
- Judo with the JCL (Judo Centrum Leuven)
- Muay Thai at DefCross (Leuven)
- Savate at Savate Leuven
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu at Brasa Belgium (formerly known as Exit BJJ Leuven) and part of Level-Z MMA (merger between Brasa Belgium and Dawsu Leuven)

Always liked SAMBO, but the closest thing that you will find in Flanders is Combat Submission Wrestling (created by Erik Paulson). The only two instructors in Belgium are with DefCross and Brasa Belgium, but the one of Brasa is planning a long stay in Poland, followed with a very, very long stay in Malta (minimum a year, probably a lifetime).

Working this weekend, is it like a recurrent event or a one-off in Leuven?
sounds like fun, is it open for ultimate noobs?

It's yearly on every first Saturday of October. I organize it from 12h00 till 18h00, followed by drinks, dinner and this year on popular request a karaoke evening in the "Beethoven" in Leuven.
I try to have also one seminar in those six hours, the last two times it was BJJ, but Felipe Costa is in Belgium, so this year it will be Savate.

Throwdowns are just gatherings where we meet the people behind the usernames, spar, learn from eachother, have a great time and later over some good Belgian beer discuss our lives, Bullshido.net, etc...
I'm not permitting Gong-Sau's at the EuroMega ever.
Yes, absolute noobs are also welcome, we don't bite, just growl from time to time ;-p , no seriously, it's all about having a good time with likeminded people.

If you want I'll PM my phonenumber, so you can meet some of the guys coming to the EuroMega after your work.

11/09/2011 4:57pm,
Small bump: Did you go to the SAMBO club and what was your impression? thanks in advance.

ashkelon
11/10/2011 8:25pm,
I've been having some annoying health issues, I hope to check it out next week if I get the OK.
will update this thread when I do :)

ashkelon
12/09/2011 4:39am,
small update...
so finally back in action and went to the club, a backwater communal sports affair, noone there.
will mail the instructor again, check again.

ashkelon
12/14/2011 4:54am,
so went to training yesterday.
turns out it's a couple of moldavian guys. the instructor seems very qualified, won a lot of stuff and still competes as a veteran.
a bit of a language barrier, but friendly no-nonsense approach.
they seem to focus mostly on sports sambo, but the club just opened so it's still being put together. he trains his son, who's only 12 and winning all kinds of stuff. for a 12 year old he already scares me a bit, he looks 16, he'll be a monster at 18!
you can tell the guy's really passionate, but if they want more students, they need to work on the marketing, it's advertised nowhere.
the facilities are super basic, 70's municipal sports hall dojo, if you're belgian you get the picture.
Despite the lofi-ness and few students, I had a good time, nice rolling controls, arm locks and pins, cool stuff. I'm inclined to spend some more time there, it's very close to my place. The only thing is that with only 2 hours a week, it's not the kind of training volume I'm looking for.

PointyShinyBurn
12/14/2011 5:44am,
That's pretty much round the corner from my grandparents' place, I'll pop in next time I'm over there.

ashkelon
12/19/2011 7:56pm,
cool, let me know.
maybe I should take some initiative to help the guy out with getting the word out, get more students.