PDA

View Full Version : Good old karate, or the look on their faces

Pages : [1] 2

patfromlogan
8/29/2011 1:32pm,
Just got reminded by the noobie teeth question thread... There's a tma Okinawan + Shorinji Kempo dojo in town that takes sparring very seriously (dojo started by Yukio Kono [who later went to KK back in Japan] in early 70s). They train pretty hard with explosive striking moves and two man kata with increasing resistance as they go through the ranks. So pretty good dojo. What is funny is what happens when they get ready to spar.

Sparring is a bid deal and only happens one night every three months. It's talked about and prep'd in training - the format is a big circle with two or three high rank bbs taking on everyone of their sex, one after another. The fun part is the beginning when Sensei passes out the "gloves" to the students sitting there waiting. They are these gross beat up thin cotton things with no padding, but plenty of old blood stains. All the n00bs get grossed out and cringe - I'm sure Sensei keeps them away from the washing machine on purpose; it adds a lot when the patina is blood stains from decades of impacts. The look on their faces is classic.

Oh, and it's supposed to be low contact, but we know how that goes. Last time I joined in the fun one fight got way out of hand and Sensei, who's a Vietnam vet with shitty knees, yelled yame (stop!) to no effect and leaped into the fight and grabbed one guy by the collar of his gi and his body was actually horizontal, parallel to the (hard wood) floor, flinging the aggressor off. I had no idea he could still move. I'm impressed with their intensity. Very different training from Kyokushin where we sparred often, or sport karate kickboxing where sparring was the whole point.

Rzero
8/29/2011 1:48pm,
They are these gross beat up thin cotton things with no padding, but plenty of old blood stains. All the n00bs get grossed out and cringe - I'm sure Sensei keeps them away from the washing machine on purpose; it adds a lot when the patina is blood stains from decades of impacts. The look on their faces is classic.

That's not bad-ass. That's disgusting and unsafe.

doofaloofa
8/29/2011 2:40pm,
Its ok as long as you dont bite your nails/suck your thumb

RWaggs
8/29/2011 2:59pm,
Sparring happens once every three months? That must be an amusing display of sparring.

@Rzero: Not every art can be as safe and un-disgusting as the Krav :Hehehe:

Permalost
8/29/2011 4:22pm,
-bloody old gloves sounds unsanitary, especially in a style where fighters are apt to have scrapes etc on their knuckles from other training.

-sparring only every 3 months? Why so far apart?

lol @ tags

Bad Apple
8/29/2011 5:06pm,
The fun part is the beginning when Sensei passes out the "gloves" to the students sitting there waiting. They are these gross beat up thin cotton things with no padding, but plenty of old blood stains. All the n00bs get grossed out and cringe - I'm sure Sensei keeps them away from the washing machine on purpose; it adds a lot when the patina is blood stains from decades of impacts. The look on their faces is classic.

http://www.glogster.com/media/5/23/26/9/23260960.jpg

Not to mention they hardly fit anymore

jubei33
8/29/2011 5:46pm,
Yes, decades of hepatitis sounds like a good health booster. Its ok, some of the blood was there before they discovered AIDs.

doofaloofa
8/29/2011 5:51pm,
I read that there is more fecal matter bacteria in your sink than in your toilet

Tranquil Suit
8/29/2011 5:58pm,
If fecal matter is a synonym for ****, then I must wonder what you do with your sink.

ADM
8/29/2011 6:07pm,
Sparring once every 3 months ... sounds really cool and fun!

Oh wait I meant the opposite of those things, it sounds ****.

Rzero
8/29/2011 6:20pm,
Sparring happens once every three months? That must be an amusing display of sparring.

@Rzero: Not every art can be as safe and un-disgusting as the Krav :Hehehe:

All wounds have to be covered before training. Any wounds received during training get treated with spray-on bandage. We take that **** serious. As should any other style/dojo/school that is concerned with the health of its students.

RWaggs
8/29/2011 6:48pm,
All wounds have to be covered before training. Any wounds received during training get treated with spray-on bandage. We take that **** serious. As should any other style/dojo/school that is concerned with the health of its students.

Yes, obviously. I was just having a bit of fun.

Rivington
8/29/2011 6:49pm,
They also share ancient, soiled, jock straps.

patfromlogan
8/29/2011 7:30pm,
Now we don't have to worry about disease as most of the students are Mormons, and virgins, too!

The sparring every three months is odd, but their bbs can fight well. I've fought 'em and some have won local tournies and at least one bb cage fought (about 5 seconds into the first round he exploded in with driving strikes and KO'd opponent). Perhaps the intensity level pays off somehow. Sparring is a bid deal and intense. The n00bs are expected to get blown away and expected to follow the successes of the more advanced students as the years go by. It may not be the most effective fighting standup dojo, but like many here know, my kid got her bb there and as a teen fought off an asshole attacker, so it works OK. Hard sparring drills are important and a good teaching tool. I know a lot of people think one step and point sucks totally, but I have trained in instructor's class with a dozen bbs, half of whom could wipe me out, and their one steps were sometimes unstoppable. As John Irving, noted author and wrestler (and author of the best ma book, The Imaginary Girlfriend) put it, I wouldn't dream of trying a new move in a match until I'd practiced it a thousand times.

They don't take it too easy on n00bs and more advanced colored belts, while not creamed, are not coddled. And perhaps it's also the kind of students attracted. It's part of Utah State U and tough ex-high school jocks and such, as college students join. His students included the football star, a reciever who became a vice squad cop in SLC, some rugby guys and such. Some who attend BJJ seminars and sometimes come downtown to spar at the Kaju/ke?po or sport karate clubs, etc. Also he's married to the best woman karateka around and she tends to attract a solid group of young women.

Sorekara
8/29/2011 7:54pm,
Now we don't have to worry about disease as most of the students are Mormons, and virgins, too!

The sparring every three months is odd, but their bbs can fight well. I've fought 'em and some have won local tournies and at least one bb cage fought (about 5 seconds into the first round he exploded in with driving strikes and KO'd opponent). Perhaps the intensity level pays off somehow. Sparring is a bid deal and intense. The n00bs are expected to get blown away and expected to follow the successes of the more advanced students as the years go by. It may not be the most effective fighting standup dojo, but like many here know, my kid got her bb there and as a teen fought off an asshole attacker, so it works OK. Hard sparring drills are important and a good teaching tool. I know a lot of people think one step and point sucks totally, but I have trained in instructor's class with a dozen bbs, half of whom could wipe me out, and their one steps were sometimes unstoppable. As John Irving, noted author and wrestler (and author of the best ma book, The Imaginary Girlfriend) put it, I wouldn't dream of trying a new move in a match until I'd practiced it a thousand times.

They don't take it too easy on n00bs and more advanced colored belts, while not creamed, are not coddled. And perhaps it's also the kind of students attracted. It's part of Utah State U and tough ex-high school jocks and such, as college students join. His students included the football star, a reciever who became a vice squad cop in SLC, some rugby guys and such. Some who attend BJJ seminars and sometimes come downtown to spar at the Kaju/ke?po or sport karate clubs, etc. Also he's married to the best woman karateka around and she tends to attract a solid group of young women.

To this entire post all I can muster is, WTF? I've read it, and now I can't unread it. Maybe I should go put on those old maxi pads they use for gloves and have sensei mormon jock stud thump me in the head a couple times.

Bad Apple
8/29/2011 8:25pm,
They also share ancient, soiled, jock straps.

Dipped in tree sap and rolled in broken glass as well ?