PDA

View Full Version : Judo in Bergen County

Pages : [1] 2

TheFree87
7/18/2011 6:55pm,
Hi all, I am looking for a judo school in Bergen county. I saw a previous post that suggested Performance Judo in Fairlawn, and Tech Judo in Bergenfield. What do people think of these schools and do they have any other suggestions?

I would like to compete in Judo tournaments. What is the best way to go about that? (Fitness training, schools, actual tournaments, etc.)

I am 24 and in reasonable shape. I run a 5k every other day. I am a graduate student so I can train every day and my hours are somewhat flexible even though I do need to spend a lot of hours in school. I am highly motivated to the point of ridiculous stubbornness.

Thanks for giving some advice to a noob!

TheFree87
7/19/2011 9:08pm,
So I did my first day at this place http://www.kokushikai.com/ and it was awesome. We started off with ukemi; she taught me side break fall, back break fall and a rolling forward break fall. After that I learned osoto-gari and seio nage. I'm not sure if seio nage is that right name for that throw. Basically you lock your right elbow into their right armpit grabbing their shoulder, and then you drop down onto your knees pulling them forward over your shoulder.

My right shoulder is a bit sore, does anyone have any tips on not messing up my shoulder? Or any tips on doing osoto gari or seio nage?

BKR
7/19/2011 9:31pm,
Just keep going to class, you are in a very good place.

Ben

TheFree87
7/20/2011 8:48pm,
Went to my second day of classes and did randori. It was awesome; although I got my ass kicked by a yellow belt that was smaller and weaker than me. It was a humbling experience (I wasn't able to throw him once). So far my skills at Judo, newaza -sucks, randori - sucks, and ukemi - well I don't hurt myself that much when I get owned by other judoku although I wish I had a better idea what I was doing.

During randori I was thrown and when I landed I somehow smooshed my toes into the mat. Any advice on how not to do that? Also I was trembling after randori anyone have any tips on conditioning so I can make it through two to three rounds of randori?

^Did you ever live near Carlisle, PA that is where I went to undergrad?

judoka_uk
7/21/2011 3:41am,
Whooa talking about landing on you feet, lol!

Tips on O soto gari
http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/2011/03/o-soto-gari.html

Tips on Seoi nage
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107518&page=1

Although what you learnt sounds like Seoi otoshi seeing as you went to your knees.

As Ben said just keep turning up to practice, your coach will advise when you're ready for tournaments as a general rule 6-12 months experience is usually necessary before competing, although there are always exceptions in both directions.

Lu Tze
7/21/2011 4:34am,
I get owned by other judokuJudokA

Judoku sounds like a pokemon, we're not pokemon.

Although we do level up.

Cake of Doom
7/21/2011 6:17am,
And have special moves.

TheFree87
7/21/2011 10:06am,
And have special moves.

You encounter a yellow belt. Fight!

You use osoto gari; it is not very effective.
Yellow belt uses some technique you've never seen before. It is super effective.
You use drop seoi nage; opponent dodges.
Yellow belt yanks on the arm you were holding his sleeve with; you loose your balance and get thrown. It is super effective.

This is what yesterday felt like lol. I need to level up!

Although what you learnt sounds like Seoi otoshi seeing as you went to your knees.

I asked again and they said it was drop Seoi nage; it seems a little rough on the knees.

judoka_uk
7/21/2011 10:12am,
I asked again and they said it was drop Seoi nage; it seems a little rough on the knees.
Its complicated and you don't need to worry about it, but they're basically the same thing.

Anyway steer clear of the drop seoi nage/ seoi otoshi. Concentrate on techniques where you remain standing during execution i.e seoi nage, o soto gari etc..

See my blog entry on picking a tokuiwaza/ favourite technique for how to structure your throw learning progression.

http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/2011/01/tokuiwaza.html

TheFree87
7/21/2011 8:20pm,
Today was awesome; I scored my first ippon!

I was doing tokuiwaza with one of the other two white belts and I tried unsuccessfully to do osoto gari (one of the two techniques I know) over and over again. After a minute or two I'm sure we looked like a pyramid, leaning on each other with our feet as far away from each other as possible. Thanks to judoka_uk's advice I realized that seoi nage might be able to capitalize on this and went for it throwing him to the mat.

After this I wasn't able to score any more ippons, but still it felt so good scoring my first ippon.

I dominated a yellow belt and a white belt in newaza. I'm aware that my Ju Jitsu is terrible, but apparently knowing that a RNC and a Triangle exist is enough to get a bunch of submissions (Legal in Judo? No one yelled at me so I figured they were).

Annoyingly I got kind of injured doing newaza. This big white belt was spazzing on me and ripped my shirt doing some choke where he grabbed my lapels. I'm not sure what he did but my knee is very stiff =( Very annoyed that I might miss Judo tomorrow. I'll see how my body feels when I wake up.

Uglybugly
7/22/2011 5:40am,
I dominated a yellow belt and a white belt in newaza. I'm aware that my Ju Jitsu is terrible, but apparently knowing that a RNC and a Triangle exist is enough to get a bunch of submissions (Legal in Judo? No one yelled at me so I figured they were).

sounds like you have unlocked the cheat codes in newaza :)

judoka_uk
7/22/2011 5:48am,
Thanks to judoka_uk's advice I realized that seoi nage might be able to capitalize on this and went for it throwing him to the mat.

Did I say this, lol? Anyway congratulations, you've got the bug now.

Its an inevitable slippery slope into obsession. Eventually you'll wind up on a plastic chair in a community hall telling other members of your Judokas Anonymous chapter how you realised you'd reached rock bottom when you found yourself doing tandoku renshuu on street corners.

TheFree87
7/22/2011 11:34am,
Did I say this, lol? Anyway congratulations, you've got the bug now.

Its an inevitable slippery slope into obsession. Eventually you'll wind up on a plastic chair in a community hall telling other members of your Judokas Anonymous chapter how you realised you'd reached rock bottom when you found yourself doing tandoku renshuu on street corners.

Didn't you say to do a backward technique when they resist the forward? I have no idea what to if they lean on you and keep there feet far away from you. Osoto gari does not work for me when they do that =P. Hopefully I'll learn some more techniques so I can put some combos together. It feels like when we do technique training that osoto gari is highly effective, but I can never replicate that position when we do tokuiwaza.

Also definitely infected with judo bug. All day I am wondering why it isn't 7:30 so I can do judo.

judoka_uk
7/22/2011 2:56pm,
Oh right. Yes I probably said that, that's action-reaction pretty much the foundation of Judo.

What you're experiencing is called stiff arming, some ways to deal with it are outlined here (http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/2011/02/dealing-with-stiffy.html).

Unfortunately as with all major stumbling blocks there is no one answer, as you will learn sooner or later there are no silver bullets (http://thedifficultway.blogspot.com/2011/01/silver-bullets.html).

I don't teach O soto gari to beginners, even though its my favourite technique, because it looks mechanically very simple- step in, off balance, sweep the leg. Whereas in randori and the reality of a resisting partner its one of the hardest techniques to pull off. Its deceptively simple.

TheFree87
7/24/2011 3:08pm,
Today was another great day doing Judo. We focused a lot more on newaza than we normally do; I learned a throw from kneeling where you get your feet underneath their thighs, and then grab an arm and their belt and roll back throwing them onto their back. It looked like this throw would be much more brutal if you pitched them on to their face/head instead of rolling them over onto their back.

After we finished newaza uchikomi (is that right?). I got to do four rounds of newaza randori. I fought three yellows belts and a brown belt. I managed to get a couple submissions. One was a guillotine and the other was a RNC when people turtled on me. Every time I submitted (except for one figure four) was when the big guys put all their weight on me, but I think I'm getting better at having heavy guys squish me. After being told by a brown belt not too panic when I get squished, I fought a yellow belt who was squishing me for about two minutes, and I felt like I could breathe the whole time.

Tokuiwaza was awesome as well. I have been avoiding the other white belt so I can learn what I am supposed to be doing. I wasn't able to get any Ippon, but I was able to get one of the higher ranks off balance when I charged into him to do ochi gari? (where you drive into him, make a T with your feet, and then sweep his left with your right). My form isn't that great with that one, but I am going to keep practicing it. It looks like it might be easier to pull off than osoto gari.

My body has more or less recovered. I had one painful moment where my injured leg had a muscle spasm and I was limping around like an idiot for a couple minutes. It seems like as long as you don't spazz out during randori and you avoid the idiots that do you can avoid a lot of injuries.

TheFree87
7/26/2011 8:29pm,
Another Judo update. I think I'm starting to understand a bit more on how to do newaza and tokuiwaza. I'm thinking more and spazzing less.

When I was doing newaza today and was pinned in kesa gatame my instructor told me to bridge up throwing my opponent over my head. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't feel right. I can't get any power when I bridge. I'm not sure if my hips are weak, but unless they are off balance already it doesn't seem like I can push them off (I weigh 150 lbs opponents usually 200+). I also tried shrimping, but if they move with me it doesn't seem to work either.

In tokuiwaza I couldn't get any Ippon. My opponent stiff armed me and I didn't stiff arm him back, and whenever I tried to do osoto gari or ouchi gari he would step back. I tried doing combinations of the two, but that didn't work either. After a frustrating round I asked my sensei what I should do and she told me to not stiff arm him back, and that stiff arming with two arms was really dangerous. She proceeded to step across with her right leg and trip me. I want to learn this throw, tired of being stiff armed =P

Anyway even though it was frustrating I was thinking a lot during randori and looking for opportunities. It felt kind of like chess. Ok to you use this thread as a training log?