PDA

View Full Version : Absence of the gi means it's not BJJ?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

money
7/05/2011 11:26am,
It is when they are only training no-gi is when I think it becomes a problem.

Oh snap. I had heard that gi vs no-gi was different in some ways, but not that one suffered significantly from lack of the other? (My gym only does no-gi)

PointyShinyBurn
7/05/2011 11:36am,
Oh snap. I had heard that gi vs no-gi was different in some ways, but not that one suffered significantly from lack of the other? (My gym only does no-gi) Opinions... ahem... vary on this point. What is certainly true is that there are a lot of world class submission fighters who've never done any substantial training with it on.

WhiteShark
7/05/2011 1:30pm,
Oh snap. I had heard that gi vs no-gi was different in some ways, but not that one suffered significantly from lack of the other? (My gym only does no-gi)

A BJJ school that only does No-Gi? That is really weird.

Team Python
7/05/2011 3:27pm,
Yeah I agree.......a real BJJ school does train with the gi.......it is traditional for one and two it gives you handles to work with. I don't know too many people that walk around just in shorts other than at the beach. Plus in winter time people wear lost of clothing so gi training gives you a lot of options. I choked a guy out just by using his Polo shirt and I also choked a ganbanger with a cross choke using his Pendleton jacket. So gi training is important.

PointyShinyBurn
7/05/2011 4:54pm,
Yeah I agree.......a real BJJ school does train with the gi.......it is traditional for one and two it gives you handles to work with. I don't know too many people that walk around just in shorts other than at the beach. Plus in winter time people wear lost of clothing so gi training gives you a lot of options. I choked a guy out just by using his Polo shirt and I also choked a ganbanger with a cross choke using his Pendleton jacket. So gi training is important.Depends on your goals, though, right? I agree if you want to street fight you need to train in the gi, but someone who just wants to compete in submission wrestling or MMA, not so much.

money
7/05/2011 5:17pm,
A BJJ school that only does No-Gi? That is really weird.

It's not a BJJ school; it's a fighting gym. My coach is a BJJ purple and I believe they used to do gi, but haven't in the past 4 years that I've been training (except in a separate judo class).

Team Python
7/06/2011 1:48am,
Depends on your goals, though, right? I agree if you want to street fight you need to train in the gi, but someone who just wants to compete in submission wrestling or MMA, not so much.

True....my goal at my academy is to teach people how to protect themselves on the streets. We do compete at tournaments once in while but our main focus is training for self protection. However training Vale-Tudo 3 days a week my students do quite well going freestyle. So I don't think you need to do no-gi all the time to become proficient.

Team Python
7/06/2011 1:53am,
It's not a BJJ school; it's a fighting gym. My coach is a BJJ purple and I believe they used to do gi, but haven't in the past 4 years that I've been training (except in a separate judo class).

Has not trained with a gi for 4 years? Then if your not a BJJ school then why ask about the white belt? If you guys don't wear a gi and not a BJJ school then why do you need belts period. Why even bother with promotions.

money
7/06/2011 8:44am,
Has not trained with a gi for 4 years? Then if your not a BJJ school then why ask about the white belt? If you guys don't wear a gi and not a BJJ school then why do you need belts period. Why even bother with promotions.

Er... you may have me confused with the OP? We don't do promotions at my gym.

Team Python
7/06/2011 10:35am,
Er... you may have me confused with the OP? We don't do promotions at my gym.

True but on your avitar where it states style....you have BJJ, MT, MMA, 9mm

It is Fake
7/06/2011 10:46am,
True but on your avitar where it states style....you have BJJ, MT, MMA, 9mm
Yes and he does no-gi BJJ and they focus, from what I understand, on fighting not necessarily self-defense like you. All he asked was about no-gi vs gi.

money
7/06/2011 10:47am,
True but on your avatar where it states style....you have BJJ, MT, MMA, 9mm

Yes, I train in no-gi BJJ, Muay Thai, MMA at the gym.

Team Python
7/06/2011 11:41am,
Then once again if you don't wear a gi and you don't do promotions then why call it BJJ.....call it something else. BJJ practitioners train with a gi, wear belts and get promoted.

Even Eddie Bravo promotes his students using the color system of BJJ and he don't train with a gi. Since you stated you do no-gi BJJ, whatever that is, and you don't promote then it is not BJJ.

It is Fake
7/06/2011 11:46am,
Go ask the instructors that teach BJJ and label it Gi or no-gi on their websites, competitions, and seminars.

Team Python
7/06/2011 11:57am,
Go ask the instructors that teach BJJ and label it Gi or no-gi on their websites, competitions, and seminars.

Show me the websites of who you are talking about. I don't know of any BJJ school that does not promote even though they don't train with a gi. Like I said Eddie Bravo, who does not train with a gi, promotes his students. Even Chirs Brennan, no-gi instructor, promotes his guys using the BJJ belt rank system. There are schools that do both gi and no-gi but they all promote their students.

WhiteShark
7/06/2011 12:58pm,
Can Purple Belts actually promote anyone?

Yes, I realize as a purple belt I should probably know this.