PDA

View Full Version : Tai Chi may aid in arthritis treatment

Punisher
3/19/2004 10:35am,
Tai Chi may aid in arthritis treatment
By Kat Carney
CNN Headline News
Tuesday, March 16, 2004 Posted: 12:59 AM EST (0559 GMT)

(CNN) -- When it comes to working out, no exercise regimen is "one size fits all," but one particular martial art form comes pretty close.

According to a review article in the Archives of Internal Medicine, the ancient martial art of Tai Chi not only improves strength, balance and flexibility in older people, but it also has positive effects on chronic health conditions like multiple sclerosis and joint problems.

In fact, the Arthritis Foundation has looked to Tai Chi as treatment for arthritis.

The Arthritis Foundation's program is based on Dr. Paul Lam's "Tai Chi for Arthritis" program.

Lam, who is now 53, developed osteoarthritis in his 20s and used Tai Chi as a way to control the disease.

While there are no published studies proving whether Tai Chi can reduce pain and inflammation associated with arthritis, participants report benefits ranging from pain relief to lower blood pressure.

But even though Tai Chi appears to have numerous benefits to participants, it is still too early for physicians to begin prescribing Tai Chi as a remedy for chronic health problems because many of the past studies had design flaws, according to Dr. Chenchen Wang, the author of this most recent report.

Wang urges patients with chronic health problems take precautions before beginning a Tai Chi practice, because for some people Tai Chi could worsen joint problems and other symptoms of arthritis.

So as the saying goes, be sure to check with your doctor before starting any exercise program.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/03/12/tai.chi/index.html

Osu
3/19/2004 11:04am,
Movement is good for you. Excercise is good for you. So logically also tai chi is good for you.

Wounded Ronin
3/19/2004 11:48am,
Lots of people have reported a lot of satisfaction with tai chi and chi kung for the treatment of arthritis.

SamHarber
3/19/2004 6:57pm,
but isn't any excercise good for arthritis?
the BBC had a similar storey last week, the upshot of which was 'doing excercise can be healthy'.
What next? Breath air and drink water for a fuller life?

Punisher
3/19/2004 7:23pm,
but isn't any excercise good for arthritis?

No, high impact exercise like jogging or step aerobics probably isn't good.

SamHarber
3/20/2004 6:58am,
But any low impact excercise would be?

Like swimming, cycling, walking the bloody dog...

I just get annoyed by these "revelations" which are just common sense.

Osu
3/20/2004 10:06am,
Originally posted by SamHarber

Exactly.

Quote from Shanghai Noon:
"Faster or they'l think you're slow in the head"

LOL

liuzg150181
3/20/2004 11:06am,
Originally posted by SamHarber

You may be right, but dont forget the influence of teh "Chi Power"~~~!!!:D

The Wastrel
3/20/2004 3:20pm,
I hate the way these things are framed. "Tai Chi" doesn't help arthritis. That is an entirely unhelpful claim. WHAT about it is claimed to help? THAT is what would concern us. Just another bias piece.

SamHarber
3/20/2004 10:04pm,
God damn ir Wastrel.. I've been on a roll tonight being harsh to people. Why the **** do you have to chime in agreeing with me?

I'm going to have to call you a nesh bastard for not coming up to manchester when you were in the UK now.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=nesh

SCO
3/21/2004 8:24am,
It does specifically help posture and joint problems. If done reasonably well.

The Wastrel
3/21/2004 12:23pm,
But how do you isolate "Taiji" from everything else that has the same effect on the body?

Punisher
3/21/2004 12:39pm,
But how do you isolate "Taiji" from everything else that has the same effect on the body?

You don't. This as about adding to the list. Some people may not know that it might help, and if it can be proven that it does, it gives them another option to find an activity comaptable with their life style.

"Gee Doctor, my arthritis is awful bad. I really wish there was some exercise I could do that could help it. I can't swim, don't have a bike, and can't walk my dog without getting blood all over me for some reason. I'd really like to spend so time in the park with some people my own age. What can I do?"

GregW
3/21/2004 1:03pm,
I don't think you can isolate it from other activities that have a similar effect on the body. I think y'all pretty much have it covered w/your analysis of health benefits of taiji. It is (for me) a great exercise for balance, coordination and relaxation. The only thing unique that I've noticed about taiji and qigong is that I can really get my blood circulation going without an intense aerobic workout (like running). Maybe that has a lot to do with helping arthritis? But I'm sure that there are other activities out there that do something similar that I have yet to discover.
Articles like Kat Carney's are often written by people with good intentions who think that there is something mystical & magical about taiji and lack the knowledge or will to analyze it on biomechanical, physiological and psychological levels.

SCO
3/21/2004 2:05pm,
I believe Taiji and QiGong work better than plenty other soft exercises. If done reasonably well. Which isn`t possible for everyone, I guess. If some others work just as well or even better - good.