PDA

View Full Version : Double-leg takedown counter

Pages : [1] 2

shyun
6/12/2011 8:00pm,
If someone attempts a double-leg takedown on me, what should I do? I was thinking about sprawling and getting him into a guillotine, but I'm unsure of what I'd want to do next. Hold onto the guillotine and knee his face instead of choking him out?

P.S.: This is a self-defence situation - I don't go around picking fights. :Smile2:

syberia
6/13/2011 12:12am,
Do you do any MMA or BJJ training at all?
If so, how much experience do you have with double legs?

If you've never experienced a double leg take down and would like to answer your own question, I seriously suggest finding somewhere to train.
Any suggestions anyone makes is useless unless you have the opportunity to train them.

Just Guess
6/13/2011 1:07am,
You pretty much answered your own question. Do it correctly and they'll land on their face. Since self defense is about protecting yourself and getting out of dangerous situations anything else like chokes or knees is optional and only needed if you need to hurt an attacker enough so they can't follow you when you get up and run.

alex
6/13/2011 1:29am,
go do some wrasslin, theory boxing doesnt work and neither does theory wrasslin

wetware
6/13/2011 2:17am,
go do some wrasslin, theory boxing doesnt work and neither does theory wrasslin

What he said.

Also, sprawling is usually the right answer. Guillotine is fine, but there are many other options as well. You'll learn those when you go train.

Tom Kagan
6/13/2011 9:31am,
If someone attempts a double-leg takedown on me, what should I do? I was thinking about sprawling and getting him into a guillotine, but I'm unsure of what I'd want to do next. Hold onto the guillotine and knee his face instead of choking him out?

P.S.: This is a self-defence situation - I don't go around picking fights. :Smile2:

Why are you asking?

Odacon
6/13/2011 1:21pm,
I'd advise against a guillotine as people tend to give up their underhooks too early for it and end up letting the guy get the takedown anyway.

kumijitsu
6/15/2011 10:06am,
Instead of worrying about "this or that technique" you need to find a place to train. There is no single "cure all technique" for each situation. If you're realistically thinking about self defense there are some basics you need to understand. First you need to find a school. Next you need to make sure you practice against resisting opponents. The worst you do in your training is the best you can hope for in the real world. You can't practice a technique 10 or 20 times and think you "know" it. Do you have any martial arts background?

Omega Supreme
6/15/2011 10:28am,
Instead of worrying about "this or that technique" you need to find a place to train. There is no single "cure all technique" for each situation. If you're realistically thinking about self defense there are some basics you need to understand. First you need to find a school. Next you need to make sure you practice against resisting opponents. The worst you do in your training is the best you can hope for in the real world. You can't practice a technique 10 or 20 times and think you "know" it. Quoted for truth.

jnp
6/15/2011 11:45am,
Do you do any MMA or BJJ training at all?
If so, how much experience do you have with double legs?

If you've never experienced a double leg take down and would like to answer your own question, I seriously suggest finding somewhere to train.
Any suggestions anyone makes is useless unless you have the opportunity to train them.

Instead of worrying about "this or that technique" you need to find a place to train. There is no single "cure all technique" for each situation. If you're realistically thinking about self defense there are some basics you need to understand. First you need to find a school. Next you need to make sure you practice against resisting opponents. The worst you do in your training is the best you can hope for in the real world. You can't practice a technique 10 or 20 times and think you "know" it. Do you have any martial arts background?
These are the best responses so far. We can't help you shyun, until we know what your background and experience are. If you're a beginner, then the best advice is to find somewhere legitimate to train. If you're not, then we can discuss specific techniques.

Tom Kagan
6/15/2011 2:26pm,
These are the best responses so far. We can't help you shyun, until we know what your background and experience are. If you're a beginner, then the best advice is to find somewhere legitimate to train. If you're not, then we can discuss specific techniques.

(emphasis mine)

So, I'm the only one who asked him why he wanted to know, but those answers you quoted are better?

Omega Supreme
6/15/2011 2:54pm,
(emphasis mine)

So, I'm the only one who asked him why he wanted to know, but those answers you quoted are better?Um...Yes.

jnp
6/15/2011 4:03pm,
(emphasis mine)

So, I'm the only one who asked him why he wanted to know, but those answers you quoted are better?
Oops, your question is valid too. Not quoting it was an oversight on my part.

You will always be relevant in my eyes Tom.

SnakeMMA
6/16/2011 2:12am,
@jnp - does the guy your fighting with/defending from have MA background? do you have MA experience?

based on my experience, if you're up against a guy/thug/bully on the streets, more often than not, they won't have any MA background. also, more often than not, they would throw punches first. even experienced MA practitioner/artist/fighter, the first attack is almost always a punch.

the best counter I know is to... RUN!

if you really cannot avoid the situation though, and you know that the guy would eventually attempt a takedown, just dont give him the chance to do it. how you would stop him from takng you down will all be up to you.

fights in the ring/octagon is totally different from street fights. its rare that guys would take their opponent down like we see in the movies. hope this helps!

PointyShinyBurn
6/16/2011 4:11am,
fights in the ring/octagon is totally different from street fights. its rare that guys would take their opponent down like we see in the movies. hope this helps!In my experience that's not true. Even if the fight starts with punches, which it often doesn't, the guy who loses the first exchange will mostly attempt to tackle or clinch with his opponent.

Cullion
6/16/2011 7:02am,
I've seen rugby tackles in more than once drunken brawl.