PDA

View Full Version : Judo/Yudo

Pages : [1] 2

The Juggernoob
6/11/2011 10:53pm,
No one ever told me. Why do some people spell Judo as Yudo?

Vorpal
6/11/2011 11:18pm,
Yudo is South Korean Judo.

The Juggernoob
6/11/2011 11:20pm,
But Judo is Judo is it not?
How is it any different?

stealth_monkey
6/11/2011 11:23pm,
But Judo is Judo is it not?
How is it any different?

Koreans aren't big on the Japanese, given the hundreds of years of cultural and literal rape they've experienced from them. If it's a japanese art practised in korea, expect its name to be changed, if they don't claim it's an entirely different art all together. The name is based on some difference between the japanese and korean language I don't understand. For example, kendo is called kumdo in korea

The Juggernoob
6/11/2011 11:27pm,
Ahhh, this explains a lot. Im taking up mexican Judo then, its spelt Judo, but pronounced Hudo.

Vorpal
6/11/2011 11:28pm,
Koreans aren't big on the Japanese, given the hundreds of years of cultural and literal rape they've experienced from them. If it's a japanese art practised in korea, expect its name to be changed, if they don't claim it's an entirely different art all together. The name is based on some difference between the japanese and korean language I don't understand. For example, kendo is called kumdo in korea

^^^ correct. There a a handfull of guys on this site that are amazingly knowledgable about this kind of stuff but it's just judo, in Korea, where the call it Yudo. That's really all there is to it. Move on.

Lindz
6/12/2011 2:28am,
Unless it's not in Korea, then it's probably bullshido.

Vorpal
6/12/2011 9:26am,
^^^ also correct.

judoka_uk
6/12/2011 9:38am,
Korean spelling of Judo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIldpy4zXQ4

The Juggernoob
6/12/2011 3:59pm,
I dont know "do yu do judo" kind of has a ring to it

Do ju do yudo?

The Juggernoob
6/12/2011 5:15pm,
nah Krav Maga innit!

Krav Maga? Is that the name of some sort of anti palestinian missile?

The Juggernoob
6/13/2011 5:52pm,
So is trapkido Korean aikido? Saw a demmo last year kindo of the same painfull looking joint locking techniques. Ouch!

Emphasis on the word looking.

Captain Spaulding
6/13/2011 8:26pm,
So is trapkido Korean aikido?

Hapkido.

Matt Phillips
6/13/2011 8:29pm,
Yudo is not Judo. Yudo is the S Korean version of Kano JuJutsu. Judo is an Olympic sport, and the S Korean national team spells it J-U-D-O.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
6/14/2011 2:52am,
Thanks for correction.
So is it similar to aikido?

Hapkido comes (probably) from Daito-Ryu Aiki-Ju Jutsu, depending from school it can look like from Daito-Ryu AJJ upto Taekwondo with some wristlock throws, but most systems resemble Aikido with Taekwondo kicking.

Hankido looks more like Aikido since it's a blend between Hapkido and Aikido.

Yudo started out as another name for Judo, but overtime the quality went down. That's why there's nowadays a distinction between Yudo and Judo.

rsobrien
6/14/2011 5:01am,
Everyone in Korea pronounces Judo Yudo. The pronunciation I think it has to do with the Hangul alphabet. Its easier to spell it Yudo than Jchudo.

Most people in Korea understand its is internationally known as Judo, but Koreans have a huge chip on their shoulder when it comes to Japan. All of the techniques are trained with Korean names and all of the Japanese terminology is replaced with Korean ones. Counting to ten in Japanese while warming up is a good way to piss off a room of Yongin graduates.

There is very little difference between Japanes and Korean Judo. In fact it is remarkably similar. Koreans don't like the European style or wrestly Judo. They favor classic Kodokan throws. Most of them can't even do a double leg if you ask them to.