PDA

View Full Version : Best Self Defence

Pages : [1] 2 3

wytstal
6/11/2011 9:07pm,
I know it mainly depends on the practioner and quality of trainer but with that said what is everyones opinion on what they consider the best martial art for self defence...there was probally a thread for this in the past but I wanted to see one start from the begining. Please list the art and what quality of arts make you consider it most sutable for self defence.

stealth_monkey
6/11/2011 9:11pm,
The wide majority of feedback you'll get is to choose one art from each list:
A:
- Muay Thai
- Boxing
- Kickboxing

B:
- Brazillian Jiu Jitsu
- Judo
- Sambo
- Wrestling

The reason for this is that in each of the above arts, you practise defence by fighting. That is, attempting to use the techniques against an opponent actively resisting. Most arts do not do this, and you can no more learn to fight without fighting than you can learn to swim without getting wet.

Read this:
http://www.bullshido.org/Finding_a_good_martial_arts_school

Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU

The Juggernoob
6/11/2011 9:14pm,
A:
- Muay Thai
- Boxing
- Kickboxing

B:
- Brazillian Jiu Jitsu
- Judo
- Sambo
- Wrestling

The reason for this is that in each of the above arts, you practise defence by fighting. That is, attempting to use the techniques against an opponent actively resisting. Most arts do not do this, and you can no more learn to fight without fighting than you can learn to swim without getting wet.

This is about the most unbiased answer you will ever get.

wytstal
6/11/2011 9:37pm,
See I agree with the learning to fight by fighting..I practice boxing and bjj but I also do shotokan and they do point sparring and i don't care for but I take the kicks from it and try to use them in our open sparring at gym. I so badly want to learn muuay Thai but not offered round here. Als9 wouldn't mind judo

yli
6/11/2011 9:42pm,
You might want to replace Shotokan with something that lets you actually hit people. What do you have available in your area?

It is Fake
6/11/2011 9:52pm,
You might want to replace Shotokan with something that lets you actually hit people. What do you have available in your area?Psst...he's boxing.....

Omega Supreme
6/11/2011 9:52pm,
Parkour

The Juggernoob
6/11/2011 9:55pm,
Parkour

The supreme overlord blesses us with his knowledge. Surely the art of fleeing with style, panache and grace is the best way to avoid attack. I wouldnt know though, im a fat fucker.

wytstal
6/11/2011 10:14pm,
Just tae kwon die and other shotokan schools...there is a bin school in the town I work in that has a knack program that involves muay Thai in the program. The three reasonable I tak3 the shotokon is nec!use its some training in kicks, my gf takes it, its through the y so its only like 25 a year...

Lu Tze
6/12/2011 4:07pm,
A:
- Muay Thai
- Boxing
- Kickboxing

B:
- Brazillian Jiu Jitsu
- Judo
- Sambo
- WrestlingIn addition to the fine answer above, pick any two from the following list:

A. Running fast.
B. Not being a dickhead.

ParkourAnd this.

The Juggernoob
6/12/2011 5:08pm,
If you're really in trouble. Pick up a brick and spin.

wytstal
6/12/2011 5:59pm,
i do believe in not starting stuff and i avoid fights when possible and in my line of work settle things thru words but sometimes in corrections or law enforcement you can avoid fights. I do believe in using my words over anything else but sometimes that is not possible

Omega Supreme
6/12/2011 7:22pm,
i do believe in not starting stuff and i avoid fights when possible and in my line of work settle things thru words but sometimes in corrections or law enforcement you can avoid fights. I do believe in using my words over anything else but sometimes that is not possibleBack when I was bouncing I worked with this young guy. I asked him if he had any experience the first time I started working with him. He said no and I told him I'd show him the ropes.

Some weeks go by and I asked him if he was having any troubles. He tells me no, he usually just gets them to leave. I told him I'd love to see him in action as I would love not to have to get physical. So later that night he walks over to somebody quickly says something to him and the guy walks out with him. He shakes the guys hand and told him to come back tomorrow. I asked him what he had said.

"I just ask them for their ID and then walk out. Then I just let them know that the owners would like them to leave but they're more than welcome to come back tomorrow I'd wave the cover for them."

I thought that was brilliant. The next night I had an opportunity to use this technique. I walked up to a guy who was being a bit rowdy and said "Excuse me sir..."

Then he swung on me, I ducked, locked him up and dragged him out. I looked at the guy and said "You get to talk from now on, I'm going to stick with throwing them out physically".

Four years later I see the kid working at another bar. I asked him if he had physically thrown anybody out yet.

"Nope"

Damn, some people can just do that.

The Juggernoob
6/12/2011 7:40pm,
For me it mostly works.

Omega Supreme
6/12/2011 7:41pm,
Dude, you're 260+ lbs IIRC. You say sit and the entire room probably pisses.

The Juggernoob
6/12/2011 7:50pm,
Dude, you're 260+ lbs IIRC. You say sit and the entire room probably pisses.

Thanks man. You'd be surprised though. I got lectured by a 14 year old MMA nutrider the other day as to how his awesome grapple skills would undo me. It was freaking adorable.