PDA

View Full Version : An Intro...With some Questions

DipCrunch
5/22/2011 4:45pm,
Figured I'd do a quick intro of myself. I'm 20 years old and looking to get into MMA. I've always been interested but right now seems like the perfect time to start. I have no formal fighting experience. I was thinking about starting with 2 classes a week because I do my lifting workout 3 days a week. Is 2 classes a week a good start or should I look into going more often. Also is it recommended to start with an MMA class to get a good base of different styles or should I start with say kickboxing classes to get a good base to work with and then move on to MMA classes?

No.1_Son
5/22/2011 6:39pm,
We can do a bunch of speculation but I think that alot of this is going to be dictated by how many decent schools there are in your area, what they teach, and how their schedule meshes with yours.

To make decent progress in any martial art, you should train AT LEAST 3 days a week. Any less than this is probably a waste of time.

What is/are your reason(s) for lifting weights?

Katriona1992
5/23/2011 4:50pm,
Figured I'd do a quick intro of myself. I'm 20 years old and looking to get into MMA. I've always been interested but right now seems like the perfect time to start. I have no formal fighting experience. I was thinking about starting with 2 classes a week because I do my lifting workout 3 days a week. Is 2 classes a week a good start or should I look into going more often. Also is it recommended to start with an MMA class to get a good base of different styles or should I start with say kickboxing classes to get a good base to work with and then move on to MMA classes?

I would start with two just to see how well you cope with the physical demand of the activities on top of your workouts.

Snake Plissken
5/23/2011 5:09pm,
I would start out with 2 days a week, as you seem to be comfortable with this idea, with enough flexibility in your weights schedule to shift it around and add additional training time, should you like the training.

As for starting at kickboxing then moving to MMA...honestly, if you want to kickbox, do kickboxing training. If you want to do MMA-style training, go train MMA.