PDA

View Full Version : Roy Jones Jr is he going to be the modern day Ali?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

It is Fake
5/21/2011 10:15pm,
I love Ali. I love what he did for boxing to get these guys paid and the major fights he engaged in. One of my favorite fighters of all time. I enjoyed RoyJr even though, he irked the **** out of me more often than not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMoOfCgy6r4&feature=player_embedded#at=40

It looks like Roy is trying to go out like Ali instead of walking away on top. Now, this video doesn't do the loss and win justice. He was beaten for nine rounds. In the tenth round he started his typical hands down fighting. Yes, when he was younger and faster he could get away with that ****. Heck, it was irritating but fun to watch him drop those hands and rough someone up.

4 losses out of 6 and 3 in a row, not anymore put the gloves down Rj.

jspeedy
5/21/2011 11:17pm,
After a forum check I almost didn't post this for fear of the dreaded trollshido. Instead i'll remove my trollish commentary and refer you to one of the most overlooked fight scenes in The Matrix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9F55hvUEpNE

Roy Jones Jr. kicks ass! Who knew he could do a back flip kick? I think I heard Steven Seagal taught it to him. (Couldn't resist).

Old school Jones is one hell of show to watch. Haven't seen many of his new fights though. Certain aspects of his style remind me of the little i've seen of Ali though.

alex
5/22/2011 12:24am,
his loss to greene was fucking embarassing and came from basically the same thing, dropping his hands like he is 20 again. very sad.

Tranquil Suit
5/22/2011 6:29am,
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106221&p=2549816&viewfull=1#post2549816

To RJJ's credit, Lebedev ain't exactly a tomato can.

Eddie Hardon
5/22/2011 8:49am,
IIF

Thanks for posting. I hadn't seen it - and regret that I now have....Roy was a marvellous talent and for all the criticism he drew in his earlier days (not from me) regarding the quality of his opponents etc, I thought it was rubbish. I love watching the skilled boxer who finesses opponents and Roy was near sublime. I could hardly remember him losing a round - conversely, as with Iron Mike - other end of the thrilling scale.

Roy seemed to go wrong after the win of John Ruiz. When he dropped down to fight Tarver - which was not shown in the UK (unless it was on Sky) the photos show him as looking almost Grey (Gray US sp) and lacking in definition. I wondered if he'd been taking diuretics to facilitate the weight loss. Anyway, after that he was always HUMAN and the KO loss to Glen Johnson could be seen coming before it actually happened - and it was a sickening KO.

Roy should have gone long ago. He has tarnished his terrific ring record and long-since put his Health at Risk.

No more but thanks for the Memories, Roy Jones Jnr. You were a fantastic talent.

OZZ
5/22/2011 12:26pm,
I wonder if (like Holyfield) Roy has money issues and needs the dough so badly that he just keeps fighting.

driver
5/22/2011 2:41pm,
It's unfortunate to see people that earned dozens of millions$ in their careers, end up broke(if that's th case with Roy, as is with so many other athletes)

Eddie Hardon
5/22/2011 2:52pm,
I wonder if (like Holyfield) Roy has money issues and needs the dough so badly that he just keeps fighting.

Dunno, I think Roy's solvent but just can't recognise he's long past his Brilliant best. If he'd dropped to Crusierweight and then to LH - in a gradual manner - he might have last longer rather than collapse into immediate decline.

Evander. Incredible that he earned so much yet risked losing his mansion (the last time I looked) - it may have gone by now. Then again, his divorces must have been cumulatively expensive.

I'm also reminded of a quote from Sugar Ray Leonard - I think it was either just before or after Terrible Terry Norris beat him. He said something along the lines of knowing he was at the end of the road only by having it beaten out of him.

Kambei Shimada
5/23/2011 9:39am,
Jones should have quit 6-7 years ago, he's becoming a bad parody of himself.

It is Fake
5/23/2011 10:18am,
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=106221&p=2549816&viewfull=1#post2549816

To RJJ's credit, Lebedev ain't exactly a tomato can.I watched Ali decline, still haven't watched his Larry Holmes fight, and he gets no credit. There are to many washed up former greats Holmes, Holyfield, Ali, and Fraizer that took one to many fights. We are too informed now for anyone to get credit for stupidity in 2011.

Snake Plissken
5/23/2011 10:28am,
I watched Ali decline, still haven't watched his Larry Holmes fight, and he gets no credit. There are to many washed up former greats Holmes, Holyfield, Ali, and Fraizer that took one to many fights. We are too informed now for anyone to get credit for stupidity in 2011.
**** the Holmes fight, he lost to Trevor Berbick.

It is Fake
5/23/2011 10:55am,
**** the Holmes fight, he lost to Trevor Berbick.2002:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRotpnkhvtk
..and he had an exhibition fight in 2004.

OZZ
5/23/2011 11:07am,
Holmes had a killer jab in his prime..

Snake Plissken
5/23/2011 11:29am,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlQqSCzRrA

1:30, just to bring this full circle.

It is Fake
5/23/2011 11:35am,
Holmes had a killer jab in his prime..I loved watching him even if he beat one of my favorite fighters. No way should he have been fighting in the 21st Century.

Eddie Hardon
5/23/2011 12:00pm,
Holmes had a killer jab in his prime..

Indeed, sir, indeed. Him and Sonny Liston.

Ali? The Holmes and Berbick 'fights' are irrelevant. His Brilliance can never be dimmed - especially as we have the evidence on Tape.

Holmes? A fantastic record and a great World HW Champion. I disagree with the claim that he didn't want to beat up Ali. In my view, he did. He was jealous of Ali and resented being in his Shadow. This is illusory as Larry's record stands on its own merit. He got UP against Reynaldo "Mr" Snipes AND Earnie Shavers. FFS. How did he manage THAT?! 'Cos he was Great.

Ali? He was The Greatest.